My Documents cleaned out

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

That last post was from me.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

<b>Thanks to Zeniko for patching bugs </b>302087 and 305551. <b>Now would be a great time to comment on the wording.</b>

The patch for bug 302087 would change the word "files" on the buttons to "folders" and add the last line to the following warning:

"Deleting a profile will remove the profile from the list of available profiles and cannot be undone.
You may also choose to delete the profile data folder, including your settings, certificates and other user-related data.
This option will delete the folder "%S" and cannot be undone.
Would you like to delete the profile data folder?
WARNING: Choose "Don't Delete Folder" unless you are certain that it contains no valuable data!"

According to Zeniko, the patch for bug 305551 checks whether the chosen folder is empty and displays a bold
warning and an exclamation sign should that not be the case. The following changes occur ('+' for line added, '-' for line removed):

-chooseFolder=Choose Profile Folder
+chooseFolder=Choose Profile Folder (should be empty)

+profileFinishTextNotEmpty=The chosen folder is not empty! Click Finish to create this new profile nevertheless.
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

Very cool!

A couple of suggestions, if its not too late:
"You may also choose to delete the profile data folder, including your settings, certificates and other user-related data."
I would replace 'certificates' with 'bookmarks' - that's what the average FF users value the most.

Would it be possible (more importantly, would it be wise) for the 'delete folder' button to say 'Delete "%S" Folder'
That way there'd be no mistake, but the button size would vary with the length of the folder name - that wouldn't be a good thing.

VanillaMozilla wrote:One moderator even fell victim to this problem.
If you're referring to me, I never fell victim to this problem. I'm just tired of seeing the aftermath here... :)
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I agree with Vectorspace on that first suggestion, "certificates" wouldn't mean anything in that context to the average non-techie. Losing their bookmarks, though, that they understand!

It's great to see this problem finally getting solved. Kudos for Zeniko for getting this taken care of.
Win 10 Pro x64, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 core, 3900 MHz (4450 Turbo), AMD Radeon Vega (integrated graphics). 16GB DDR4-3200, Firefox 125.0.1, Developer Edition 125.0b9, Nightly 127.0a1.
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

Indeed! All hail Zeniko!
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

I'm still a little worried about the visibility of the message in bug 302087. My suggestion is to double space before the last warning line.

For bug 305551 I suggest "Warning! The folder is not empty!" instead of "The chosen folder is not empty! Click Finish to create this new profile nevertheless."

Or maybe "WARNING! The folder is not empty! Files in this folder could be deleted by mistake!"
venus_de_mpls

Post by venus_de_mpls »

VanillaMozilla wrote:I'm still a little worried about the visibility of the message in bug 302087. My suggestion is to double space before the last warning line.

For bug 305551 I suggest "Warning! The folder is not empty!" instead of "The chosen folder is not empty! Click Finish to create this new profile nevertheless."

Or maybe "WARNING! The folder is not empty! Files in this folder could be deleted by mistake!"
I agree and would restate the folder name.

"Warning! The folder My Documents is not empty!"
Win XP Pro SP1
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.4) Gecko/20070515 Firefox/2.0.0.4
Thunderbird version 2.0.0.0 (20070326)
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

I've uploaded screenshots of the current state of the patches:
Warning when creating a profile and Warning when deleting a profile.

As you can see, the double spacing in the Delete Profile dialog is hardly visible (OTOH I'd consider tripple spacing ridiculous). And I haven't found yet an appropriate place for restating the folder name in this dialog - surely not on the button, as most often the folder name will read 'btr19szt.trunk' or similar. Remember: these dialogs will be encountered mostly by developers and admins...

The creation warning is accompanied by the notice "(should be empty)" in the "Choose Profile Folder" dialog. The warning itself should be visible enough to the casual user, but not too prominent for everybody else.

Some details have already changed between the first set of patches and the screenshots. I'll wait another week or so before posting a second round of patches. Let's see whether we get to a better solution still.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Nice job, and thanks for the screen shots.

I agree, double-spacing helps, but the warning is still not very prominent. Is it really that hard to make it bold? The dialog boxes look so similar. Ideas, anyone?
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

I think its still not clear enough - the folder name is in the middle of the paragraph of text and so would be easy to miss. It needs to be directly above the buttons, IMHO - that's the first place the users eyes will go to.

Is cosmetic changes like this all you can do? Would it be possible, when you click 'delete folder', for another popup to appear, saying
Warning! This will delete "<folder name>"
Proceed?
scratch

Post by scratch »

yes, that's definitely the way to put it.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

I think it should not just warn users that the directory will be deleted, but that user files may be deleted as well. How about the popup with

'WARNING! This will delete "<folder name>" and all its contents.
Proceed?'
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Just to be clear: as for me, there will be no other popup. Users should never ever get to that dialog, or they should have been stopped at the selection of the profile folder. If they get as far, a simple warning will have to do, since I won't risk taking devs and admins to "Are you really, really sure?" (which most probably wouldn't be approved by the main devs anyway) - where users might *still* hit the wrong button. In fact, different wording might be the only realistic change in this bug (whereas for the other - more important one - the differences can be much more notable). Still, I'm all open for convincing alternative solutions (the popup one ain't).
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

Fair enough - you're the one writing this patch, so its your call.

Back to my first point - I still think that the folder name needs to be directly above the buttons for the user to be most likely to see it.

How about this rewording:

Code: Select all

Deleting a profile will remove it from the list of available profiles. The data in the profile will not be deleted.

You may also choose to delete the profile folder entirely, which will delete all the data inside it (including bookmarks, settings and other user-related data). This option will delete the folder "C:\Windows\system32" and cannot be undone.

WARNING! "Delete Folder" will delete "C:\Windows\system32" and all of its contents!

Remove Profile      Delete Folder      Cancel
I changed 'Delete Profile' to 'Remove Profile', since if you don't delete the files then it is possible to recover the profile.

I don't expect my wording to be used, but I do think that the warning line above the buttons should include the folder name like my example does.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Vectorspace, I like it. It may be good enough. Be careful not to put too much space between the warning and the buttons.

I'm looking for some way to say that personal files could be deleted as well, but I don't want to increase the length. The words "delete files" sounds scarier to me than "delete folder", but it is less accurate, I suppose.

I still like the idea of adding yet a little more space before the warning, so anything at all catches the user's eye, it's a warning.