Using multiple Bcc: addresses

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
DVB

Using multiple Bcc: addresses

Post by DVB »

I send out a regular email newsletter with news about my band -- forthcoming gigs etc. With Outlook and OE I was able to string together lots of addresses separated by semicolons in Bcc:. I kept all of these in a Word file, in blocks of 49, because either Outlook or Norton thought that more than 50 addresses meant I was sending spam. I would just copy a block into Bcc: and hit Send. Easy.

1. Two days ago I sent an email to half a dozen people using Bcc:, with Tbird. It wouldn't allow me to string them together with semicolons; each one had to be on its own line. That was a pain -- is there any way around this?

2. Yesterday I wanted to send a second email, again using Bcc:, to the same group of people. To save time I went back to the previous one in my Sent folder, to use the same addresses with new content -- but the email in my Sent folder didn't show the Bcc: addresses. I had to start again from scratch.

This isn't too serious with half a dozen addresses, but our newsletter goes to hundreds.

I'm not ruling out stupidity on my part, but if there's a simple and sensible way of sending bulk Bcc: emails in Tbird, I haven't found it. Or maybe there isn't.....?
joecarter

Post by joecarter »

Using commas, as opposed to semicolons, seems to work. If your list is very long, I suggest you just run a 'find and replace' on the list of addresses, replacing ';' with ','.

Hope that helps.
RiceRemodeling

Post by RiceRemodeling »

DVB;

--> separated+semicolons

~ Bill
(•¿•) ... [√] Peºple d•ing a g∞d thing... Join us, the MozillaZine Folding Team #39340
DVB

Post by DVB »

RiceRemodeling wrote:DVB;

--> separated+semicolons

~ Bill

Thank you! That query, along the same lines as mine, had the following incredibly useful response from Daifne:

Separate by commas, or add them on individual lines, or set up a mailing list http://kb.mozillazine.org/Mailing_lists

Of course, it hadn't struck me that Tbird might have built-in facilities for creating mailing lists. This is something I'll experiment with over the next day or so. If I have any problems, you'll be the first to know...

Thanks again.

David
RiceRemodeling

Post by RiceRemodeling »

David

There is one other think you can do (I do), make a naw address book "Band_News", add all the names to that book.
You do not need to re-ype them you can Import from other address books or just drag from other Thunderbird address books all at one time.
An Address Book is easyer to make changes to then a list (the addresses in my news letters change all the time).
With 100's of people I get people changing their eMail address all the time.
When it is time to insert addresses just highlight the ones you want, and drag them (as a group) to the "Bcc" line, all names will be placed on there own line automaticaly. Like drag A-J, K-T, and U-Z, Try it it works well.

Click on the first name in your group, Hold down the [Shiftl] key click on the last contact (your making a group), then [Right Click] on one, and pick "Bcc" from the list.
They will all be inserted as"Bcc".

Your very welcome, any time.
Thanks for posting back to let me know it helped.

~ Bill
(•¿•) ... [√] Peºple d•ing a g∞d thing... Join us, the MozillaZine Folding Team #39340
RiceRemodeling

Post by RiceRemodeling »

Oh, yea try the "Bcc" extension, it places a [Bcc] button on your Contact list just to make life easier.

--> Thunderbird Add Bcc Button v0.0.2 by AusDilecce.

~ Bill
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Additional info about mailing lists

A mailing list is really just a set of links to entries in your addressbook. When you drag someone from the addressbook into the mailing list, you create such a link. Any changes you make to the addressbook entry therefore automatically update the mailing list. When you delete somebody from the mailing list, it just deletes this link - the addressbook entry stays.

If you enter the user info into the mailing list directly, it will create a matching linked addressbook "card". Thus, do NOT enter the info for an existing person in your addressbook into the mailing list directly as it will result in a duplicate addressbook card and no end of confusion for you. Drag the person's name from your addressbook into the mailing list for people already in your addressbook.

And a final bit of advice. Install the addresscontext extension. This makes it very easy to grab all addresses from an existing email and add them to your addressbook, either directly as cards or as a mailing list.
http://addresscontext.mozdev.org/
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
RiceRemodeling

Post by RiceRemodeling »

DVB is having some problems with his address books.
If you think you can help please continue to that thread.

--> <<Here>>

~ Bill
DVB

Post by DVB »

Whoops -- we now have two topics dealing with the same issue -- my initial query about multiple addresses, and the unintended consequences of my following the advice I was given.

So, if I understand you correctly, makaiguy (and I love the dog), I created the problem of suddenly massively expanding my address book by creating the mailing lists. Tbird, without asking me or informing me, copied all the addresses I imported from a Word file into the mailing lists, into my Personal Address Book. And also, do I understand correctly that these intruding addresses are going to stay in my address book even if I now delete the mailing lists? Yiiieeeee. That's unfair.

Is there no way of creating a bulk email list without all the hundreds of addresses imposing themselves on my Personal Address Book?

Or should I forget trying to do it in Tbird, and set up a Yahoo mailout group?
RiceRemodeling

Post by RiceRemodeling »

Dave;

I just pointed everyone to the other thread, look just above your post.

If you think you can help please continue to that thread.

Please go to that thread insted of having 1/2 of the info in each thread.
I will ask "makaiguy" to join us there.

~ Bill