undo new tabbed browsing behavior

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

well, they already denied tab x backwards (i will change the name because tab no-x is better) because its trunk only. i think they should approved it anyway, cause its gonna be on the branch and trunk testers download extensions too. because i changed the name, the direct links won't work anymore, but you can click the link in my sig that says Tab No X and download it from that page.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

A trunk-only extension got denied review at Mozilla Update? What kind of logic is that?
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

Tab X Backwards 0.1 - Approval Denied
Your item, Tab X Backwards 0.1, has been reviewed by a Mozilla Update editor who took the following action:
Approval Denied

Your item was tested by Arteekay using Firefox 1.5 on WinXp.
Editor's Comments:
Only for the trunk test build, not needed by general audience

now, im a reviewer and nobody told me about this deny trunk only thing. and there are a lot of checkboxes, like chrome, install, uninstalls, etc. but i missed that one that says "people need this". if thats the test, i only need 9 extension. not the over 1000 listed on there. we need to deny review to all of those.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Submit it again, what rubbish. I'd recommend that reviewer's status is reconsidered to the AMO admins as well if I were you. If the trunk wasn't supposed to be catered for, it wouldn't exist as part of the in-built version system.
Deafult Luser

Post by Deafult Luser »

ColdFusion650 wrote:Tab X Backwards 0.1 - Approval Denied
Your item, Tab X Backwards 0.1, has been reviewed by a Mozilla Update editor who took the following action:
Approval Denied

Your item was tested by Arteekay using Firefox 1.5 on WinXp.
Editor's Comments:
Only for the trunk test build, not needed by general audience

now, im a reviewer and nobody told me about this deny trunk only thing. and there are a lot of checkboxes, like chrome, install, uninstalls, etc. but i missed that one that says "people need this". if thats the test, i only need 9 extension. not the over 1000 listed on there. we need to deny review to all of those.

Well, it's not a desire (need) issue, it's the fact that this extension would do nothing (probably even conflict) for the vast majority of the users on AMO. Anyone that actually would make use of your extension already knows about it from this forum.. if they don't, they've got much bigger problems with running trunk builds than a close button on each tab.

Maybe wait until it's landed on branch before making it too easy to undo anyone else's hard work.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

AMO shouldn't display extensions that people can't install with the version of Firefox that they're using to browse. If it does, it's their problem, not ColdFusion's. I assume this reviewer is simply mistaken about site policy. If this is in any way a rule then it's utterly ridiculous and needs to be changed.
stevebell001

Post by stevebell001 »

I just found an old bug thread from 2002 on this subject. The arguments for a X on each tab were as invalid then as they are now.
Why is this being marked as a nofix?
It appears to me that some people are imposing a pet direction (non MS) on the product with no regard for users or the general target audience.
Tabbed browsers existed before Firefox but they did not catch on. Firefox is catching on because ordinary users are liking it. This attitude of tough we are doing it this way despite good reasoned argument to the contrary may not be such a good idea in the long term. It only worked for MS because of the cheap availability of 3rd party software which forced people to adopt his offerings. Novel took the attitude we are right but didn't have the 3rd party base to back it up and where are they now.
If you screw up Firefox behaviour (over 90% of windows users KNOW the close active tab (window) is on the right), when the next ie pops up, unless they mess it up big time, Firefox will be back to the geek minority.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

stevebell001 wrote:no regard for users or the general target audience

Considering that the motivation for including this was a usability study, that's an interesting theory.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

They deny a usefull extension for testers, but then leave 'old junk' laying around for Joe EndUser to find, and try to install and ends up corrupting his setup:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... highlight=

*shrug*
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Cusser wrote:
stevebell001 wrote:no regard for users or the general target audience

Considering that the motivation for including this was a usability study, that's an interesting theory.

You ever wonder about these folks at google that are being used for such 'studies' ?
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

i actually havent found the data from that study. i keep hearing about it, but where can i find it? or it just a mysterious internal study that is being used to justify niche features that cant be verified by, oh say, me?
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Littlemutt wrote:You ever wonder about these folks at google that are being used for such 'studies' ?

What's to wonder about?

ColdFusion650 wrote:i actually havent found the data from that study. i keep hearing about it, but where can i find it? or it just a mysterious internal study that is being used to justify niche features that cant be verified by, oh say, me?

Last I heard, Ben Goodger is intending to make the results public. It wasn't a study of internal staff, it was a study funded by Google and AFAIK included people from the surrounding area. Search around for recent forum / blog posts or comments by Ben.

[Edit: Clarity]
Last edited by BenBasson on January 26th, 2006, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

i did a search on google for "google usability study" which didn't come up with the study in question, only other studies that randomly had the word google thrown in.
JongAm

Safari-like tab?

Post by JongAm »

Hi, all.

Well.. I didn't noticed that there is a close box on each tab, because the Safari browser also has it.
It was what I didn't like the Safari. You need to move mouse pointer to close some tabs.
My usage pattern is :
- open tabs from one page to read them. While you are reading, loading other pages can be finished. It saves time
- close a tab after you read contents on it.

So.. to me one close box on the right-most side was more convenient.
Can't it be user-customizable if most of Firefox users want to have each close box on each tab?

Thanks.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

ColdFusion650 wrote:i did a search on google for "google usability study" which didn't come up with the study in question, only other studies that randomly had the word google thrown in.

Ben's initial blog post: http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/ben/archives/009210.html
Ben's rough plan for 2.0: http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/ben/archives/009607.html
Ben's comments regarding the studies: Bug 324227 comment 33