QuickManager removal?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
erg57

QuickManager removal?

Post by erg57 »

I am using ver 1.5 and installed the QuickManager extension. I dont like this extension and cannot remove it. It does not show up in my extensions list so I cannot uninstall it from there. I remove the Quickmanager.jar but then my screen is distorted when I start it back up. To describe this distortion, the bottom grey area of the browser screen becomes about 1 1/2 inches thick. Has anyone ever successfully gotten rid of Quickmanager? I noticed the lack of an uninstall feature is noted as a bug at mozdev. This is driving me crazy

erg57
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Where did you find that extension? The only one I could find was way out of date and should never even tried to install into 1.5

anyhow, try this:

Extensions
Next step:
Close Firefox, and make sure its closed with the TaskManager->Process Tab, should be no firefox.exe in the list.
In your Profile Folder
Look for:
extensions.ini
extensions.cache
extensions.rdf

Delete all three files.

See if things clear up.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20060124 Firefox/1.5 ID:2006012404
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

It appears that extension is not compatible with 1.5(yet)

Try Littlemutts method, but if memory serves, those older extension do not write to the extensions.* files, and leave another trail in the profiles chrome folder.

Make a new profile, and COPY all files and folders from the current Profile folder EXCEPT the files three in littlemutts post above, and Do NOT COPY the Extensions and Chrome folders. You WILL need to re-install your other extensions in the new profile.

There may be easier, less impacting things to do to solve this, but I think this will be the easiest method for someone not familiar with editting scripting files..
Last edited by couldabeen on January 24th, 2006, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970
James

Post by James »

couldabeen wrote:It appears that extensionis not compatible with 1.5(yet).

Sure when the last repackaged version is about 1 1/2 years old and the original last version of extension is from back when Firefox was Firebird 0.7 or so.

There was a bit newer project called "ExtensionCatalog" though the last version that itworked on was Firefox 1.0PR (0.10).
erg57

Post by erg57 »

Wow...I really screwed up. I missed its incompatibilty. I will try what you have suggested. Thanks
erg57

Post by erg57 »

I tried unistalling those files without creating a new profile and I got the same problems so I will have to re-create a new working profile.

One question before I do this: Will I have to reinstall my plugins...like quicktime alternative--the ones that may not be automatically detected or should my new profile automatically detect these? I know that I am going to have to reinstall my extensions.

thx
erg57

Post by erg57 »

I fixed it without having to create a new profile. I followed what littlemutt said about removing the quickmanager. jar and the extensions.ini, extensions.cache and the extensions.rdf. I did one more thing --I unistalled the xpinstall.manifest and now I dont have the problem, but do I need this file? Please let me know thanks
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

No, you should not have to re-install the plugins. They should be in a safe place in folders that are not connected to your FX profile.
IF it will make you more comfortable, find the Firefox 'plugins' folder (usually in the FX install folder) and make a copy of it before you delete the current profile.

After you have a new profile, and before you delete your current one, Start FX the new profile. Type 'About:Plugins' (without the hash marks) in the location bar, press enter, and you should see what plugins you have, and the path they are located at.
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

No, you don't need xpinstall.manifest, its not a 'normal' file, and I believe its generated when an extension like you tried to install still has an install.manifest.
erg57

Post by erg57 »

works great now. Thanks. I tried creating a new profile and even the new one had the bug in it so I was close to having to clean install this.

thx again