iRider Web Browser

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
jrobbio

iRider Web Browser

Post by jrobbio »

I saw an advert on Google Titled "Mozilla Killer" for a browser called [url=http://www.irider.com/irider/[/url]Irider[/url]. Anyone heard of it and what rendering engine does it use?

Sorry I didn't know what section to put this in.

Rob
Official Win32 BitTorrent 0.7: here
BT Tracker
- Get the latest Fire/Thunderbird builds
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

The only thing "different" seems to be their "tabs" which are screenshots in the sidebar.

The release notes make mention of Image Zoom only being available in IE5.5 and greater, so I think they are using hte IE rendering engine.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
yud

Post by yud »

After reading their site, it sounds like a pretty neat idea, though frankly I don't know that I would personally find it very useful. I don't often need to copy-paste multiple links at once, and their flashy sidebar would just get in my way and irritate me. It took me long enough to get used to the tab bar in Firebird~

And I agree with the assessment that they're just using the IE rendering engine. For Windows programming it's very simple in most cases to simply drop in an IE browser component, so all the Irider developers had to do was make their fancy interface.

If they had made an intelligent decision and based their browser on the Gecko engine or something, then maybe I'd actually consider trying it out.
Ashitaka
Location: This is certainly a nifty trick. I wish I could put some HTML code here.

Post by Ashitaka »

It takes half a minute in Visual C++ to make an IE wrapper like this...
(;´Д`) nani kore? ヽ(´ー`)ノ .sig desu yo!
y3k

Post by y3k »

Ashitaka wrote:It takes half a minute in Visual C++ to make an IE wrapper like this...

and only slightly longer to persuade less tech savey people to fork out $29.! :shock:
the buttons looks horrible as well
[ ♦ Win7 Firefox 19 ♦ PowerUser ♦ ]
clav

Post by clav »

alanjstr wrote:The only thing "different" seems to be their "tabs" which are screenshots in the sidebar.

it's more complex than that. the page "tabs" are organised into a sidebar tree, not just a list. and when you follow a link it opens a new tab at the same level in the tree (iirc). the back and forward buttons on the toolbar then just move you up and down the page list, which means near instant page switching (complete with retaining the state of a js app i expect). i didn't find it useful personally, but it is an interesting approach.

so I think they are using hte IE rendering engine.

correct.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

Right. But its just their "tabs" that are unique. The concept itself isn't new, but so far most people have realized the futility of trying to distinguish pages by itty bitty pictures. What about sites that use a standard template and look relatively the same, ie the forums here?
clav

Post by clav »

yeah, the preview images for pages are very nearly useless. for image files they are helpful
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

clav wrote:yeah, the preview images for pages are very nearly useless. for image files they are helpful

So then one of those handy dandy picture downloading extensions, and a real image viewing program ... (or Windows Explorer's thumbnails view)
newsbob

iRider into the sunset

Post by newsbob »

There was an IE plug in I used a couple years ago that did some of the same things that IRider does. I thought it was mildly useful, but uninstalled it becaue of the amount of resources it used. (I can't rember what ti was called off hand, but it also created thumbnails of webpages). Here's something I found terribly interesting on the IRider FAQ page:

"C'mon! Isn't Microsoft evil? Isn't Mozilla/Opera/Mac/Linux the one true path?

Sure, Microsoft looks evil, but the universe works in mysterious ways. Sometimes what seems like evil is really just unbrilliant luck and persistence that ends up winning by default (often because the brighter, more well-rounded folks were out enjoying life). And if Microsoft was really the devil, wouldn't it have assumed a more seductive form?"

By the way-- I hang out a lot here, I just don't say much.

Robert
very happy Firebird/Thunderbird user
Goldzilla

Post by Goldzilla »

We had a long discussion on this some time ago.

I find that Favicons are a lot more useful than tiny pictures which don't mean much.
JC

Post by JC »

They're useful when you have a lot of pages open and you want to distinguish between two different ones at a glance. E.g., one has a dark background and the other has a light one. But most of this has been said in the original iRider thread. Don't know if anyone's started on an extension that has this functionality yet though.