MR Tech's Local Install 4.6.4 (4-20-06)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
mrtech

MR Tech's Local Install 4.6.4 (4-20-06)

Post by mrtech »

MR Tech's Local Install 4.6.4

Homepage: http://www.mrtech.com/extensions/
Install: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/421/
Download: http://www.mrtech.com/extensions/local_install.xpi
Changelog: Release & Beta
Localizations: en-US, cs-CZ, de-DE, es-AR, es-ES, fi-FI, fr-FR, hu-HU, it-IT, ja, ko-KR, nl-NL, pl-PL, pt-BR, ro-RO, ru-RU, sk, sr-YU, zh-CN & zh-TW
Supported: Firefox 1.0-3.0, Thunderbird 1.0-3.0, Mozilla 1.7-1.8+, Seamonkey, Flock, Netscape, Nvu & Sunbird
Rate It on U.M.O.: click here
E-Mail: mrtech [at] gmail.com

Special Notes:
<li> New Hacks list is available on my site: http://www.mrtech.com/extensions/local_ ... hacks.html
<li> Smaller locale specific installer are available on my site: http://www.mrtech.com/extensions/local_install/
<li> Mozilla Suite & Seamonkey users should continue using the full installer not the locale specific version.

Important Known Issues and Fixes with Local Install:
<li> Fixed with v4.3: You can now run Nightly Tester Tools along with Local Install without any issues. Tested with 0.8 beta 2.
<li> Fixed with v4.3: Random issues where Restart would not work have been resolved.
<li> Fixed with v4.2.5.1: Slight code change to add compatibility with Session Manager and the restart functionality
<li> Fixed with v4.2.3.1: Sunbird users no longer have to use the locale specific installers
<li> Fixed with v4.2.3: Manual Sorting Extensions & Themes in Thunderbird may not keep list sorted for some reason sorry, but the option to enable sorting does work.
<li> Fixed with v4.2.3: Contact Sidebar in Thunderbird 1.5 would not open an email when select "Write" from the context menu. Other extensions on TB 1.5 might have been affected too.
<li> Fixed with v4.1: The official 4.0 release is known to conflict with BookmarkSync, ChatZilla and some other browser/email window closing issues, this has been resolved with the 4.0.20060105.02 build by giving you an option to "Close All Windows" which is off by default.
<li> Fixed with v4.1: My Config might not generate any data if "Sorting" is enabled. Partially due to invalid Extension & Theme entries in profile. Disable sorting for the time being

Locale Specific Installers: en-US, cs-CZ, de-DE, es-AR, es-ES, fi-FI, fr-FR, hu-HU, it-IT, ja, ko-KR, nl-NL, pl-PL, pt-BR, ro-RO, ru-RU, sk, sr-YU, zh-CN, zh-TW

4.6.4 Build Released
<li> Added: Officially added "about:about" protocol which will list all the currently available "about:" options in a webpage (ala old school Mozilla Suite and Seamonkey)
<li> Added: "about:about" and "about:myconfig" have been added to the Help|About:? menu
<li> Added: "Chrome Plus" and "Chrome 2" have been added to the list of extensions to prompt you to uninstall when you open the Extension manager as these features are already included with Local Install. http://webdesigns.ms11.net/chromeditp.html
<li> Updated: Changed "Edit My Config" toolbar button from just a menu to a menu-button, the default action for the button is to open the Chrome Editor.
<li> Fixed: With the "Edit My Config" toolbar update above, recent Trunk build issues with dropdowns in menu toolbar buttons are gone.
<li> Fixed: Support for "About:Config" extension for older Thunderbird versions has been restored.

4.6.3 Build Released
<li> Updated: de-DE & zh-CN locale translations
<li> Fixed: Theme Switching preference listener was causing slowdowns on some extensions when updating preferences

4.6.2 Build Released
<li> Updated: Chrome Editor now includes default userChrome.css and userContent.css if none are available.
<li> Updated: es-AR & fr-FR locale translations
<li> Updated: Now creating Archive directory if the one specified in the settings does not exist
<li> Updated: Now supporting popup menu "event.stopPropagation();" to fix dropped support for "event.preventBubble();" in latest trunk builds
<li> Fixed: Corrected BB Code formatting issues with My Config

<li> Added: Highly Experimental "Repair Extensions/Themes" hidden Help Menu option for Firefox/Thunderbird 1.5 and up as well as Sunbird 0.2 and above.
- This should only be used in case of emergency.
- To show the Help menu option set "local_install.showRepairExtensions" preference to true.
- Please close the Extension/Theme manager window before using this feature.
- This option will delete the contents of the "staged-xpis" subdirectory of the "extensions" folder as well as the "extensions.rdf", "extensions.ini" and "extensions.cache" files.
- After restarting the program, you will have to run "Make All Compatible" for any extensions or themes that had previously had maxversion bumped.
- The lists will also need to be resorted.
- Only use this when you have an extensions that is stuck and won't update or your extensions/themes list shows up blank, etc.
- Note: this menu option will NOT be localized.

4.6.1 Build Released
<li> Added: Middle-clicking JavaScript Console or "Console" toolbar button will now open it in the sidebar (mimicking Console² behavior)
<li> Added: Now supporting custom links (JavaScript, etc) in Extensions Options menu and Extensions Toolbar button for option dialog windows. Tested and working with: All-in-One Gestures and Internote, but should work with other extensions that may not use "chrome" urls for the options window.
<li> Added: "An Options Toolbar" is now on the list to check and prompt you to uninstall when you open the Extension manager as this functionality is already included with Local Install. http://www.nu22.com/firefox/optionsb
<li> Updated: Better testing for Extension and Theme filenames in context menu options as well as archiving options
<li> Updated: fi-FI, fr-FR, it-IT, ja & pl-PL locale translations
<li> Fixed: Several compatibility issues that Local Install caused when Nightly Tester Tools where and where not installed, sorry
<li> Fixed: In Sunbird the Help|about: menu options could not be enabled/disabled in the settings dialog

4.6 Build Released
<li> Added: New option "Chrome Editor" (with UTF-8 support) under the "Edit My Config" menu, "Config" dropdown and Extension/Theme manager "Edit My Config" menu. This will allow you to edit the userChrome.css, userContent.css and user.js files as well as view the prefs.js file on one page, ala ChromEdit ;) ...
<li> Added: Middle-clicking on "Config" toolbar will now open "Chrome Editor" in a new tab
<li> Added: "Chrome Editor" window target: new tab, new window or current window options to the My Config|Edit My Config tab of the Local Install options window, default is new window
<li> Added: Hidden preference of "local_install.chromeEditor.alwaysSaveOnExit" which will always save the userChrome.css, userContent.css and user.js files when closing "Chrome Editor", default is false
<li> Added: With new "Chrome Editor" feature added "ChromEdit" and "Config Files Editor" to the autocheck prompt to uninstall when opening the extension manager since this functionality is now in Local Install: http://cdn.mozdev.org/chromedit/ and http://www.minutedesign.com/extensions/confedit/
<li> Added: For Sunbird, new "about:config" and several other compatible "about:..." menu options to the Tools menu with alt-c to open about:config (fyi: about:plugins doesn't work on Sunbird)
<li> Added: "About:Config (Sunbird)" extension to the autocheck prompt to uninstall when opening the extension manager since this functionality is now in Local Install: https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/m ... on=sunbird
<li> Added: "Restart Thunderbird" has been added to the autocheck prompt to uninstall when opening the extension manager since this functionality is already in Local Install: https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/m ... hunderbird
<li> Updated: Optimized how the autocheck prompt worked as to minimize impact across different applications
<li> Updated: Cleaned up some of the menu hiding/showing code
<li> Fixed: Hiding "Extension Options" and "Theme Switcher" features from Tools menu in Mozilla Suite and Seamonkey since these features are not compatible with these applications.
<li> Fixed: Start preferences and Options window errors for Mozilla Suite and Seamonkey with recent builds causing several features to break

View older release notes here

:)
Last edited by mrtech on April 20th, 2006, 5:34 pm, edited 43 times in total.
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
Old Seamaiden

Post by Old Seamaiden »

This came from the end of the 4.0 thread, but it pertains to 4.1 as well. Posted here for reference.

MR Tech Local Install 4.0/4.1

PROBLEM
When you install new extensions in Thunderbird 1.5, the extensions are not always sorted alphabetically like they should be.

WORKAROUND
Change to a new theme and restart Thunderbird. The extensions will then be sorted by name. Change back to the theme you were originally using, and they are still sorted.

Here is mrtech's response.
mrtech wrote:I'll do some testing, thanks.
Last edited by Old Seamaiden on February 8th, 2006, 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Old Seamaiden

Post by Old Seamaiden »

And here is a new issue.

MR Tech Local Install 4.0/4.1

PROBLEM
Slim Mode View in Thunderbird 1.5 does NOT work with the following themes: Littlebird, Nautipolis, Walnut

Those themes change the normal view of the Extension Manager and Theme Manager windows to rectangular boxes for each item instead of lists. The Slim Mode View for the corresponding themes in Firefox (Littlefox, Nautipolis, Walnut) DOES work.

No known workaround so far for Thunderbird.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

seamaiden, I've added both to my list of things to look into, thanks.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Just an fyi, even though TitleTweaks doesn't official support 1.5 or 1.5+ builds all my tests show that it works with Fx & Deer Park and my title hacks.
rschultz2002

Post by rschultz2002 »

Thanks for the Locale Specific Installers.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

rschultz2002 wrote:Thanks for the Locale Specific Installers.

yeah there's a 78-80k saving by using the Locale installer, enjoy :)
Philip Chee

Re: MR Tech's Local Install 4.1 : 02-07-06 [FF/TB/Nvu/Moz/FL

Post by Philip Chee »

mrtech wrote:Netscape 8.x will not show toolbar nor menu icons, this is because they opted to not use "classic" as the base theme, I do not plan on fixing this any time soon.
I've got Flashblock's toolbar button to work in Netscape8x using a very simple hack. In Flashblock's skin/classic/contents.rdf file I just added an extra stanza:

Code: Select all

<RDF:Seq about="urn:mozilla:skin:root">
      <RDF:li resource="urn:mozilla:skin:classic/1.0" />
      <RDF:li resource="urn:mozilla:skin:fusion/1.0" />
   </RDF:Seq>
............etc...........
   <!-- Needed for compatibility with Netscape 8 -->
   <RDF:Description about="urn:mozilla:skin:fusion/1.0">
      <chrome:packages>
         <RDF:Seq about="urn:mozilla:skin:fusion/1.0:packages">
            <RDF:li resource="urn:mozilla:skin:fusion/1.0:flashblock"/>
      </chrome:packages>
   </RDF:Description>
No need for a separate skin/fusion/ directory.

Phil.
nomasomn

Post by nomasomn »

hi,

mrtech wrote:OpenMacNews: auto archiving doesn't archive on local installs since I've found they could be installed/archived from the same location, only remote installations are archived.

although i'd, personally, much prefer "my way" of "DL anywhere, but if i *do* install it, archive it where i tell it to ..." , i understand what you're saying ...

... for Firefox.

but "remote installs" aren't possible for TBird, are they? iiuc, by "remote install" you mean click-to-isntall-while-looking-at-it-in-a-browser, yes?

if that's true (not sure ...) w/ TBird, of course, i have to DL 1st, then install ...

clarification?

thx!
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

OpenMacNews wrote:but "remote installs" aren't possible for TBird, are they? iiuc, by "remote install" you mean click-to-isntall-while-looking-at-it-in-a-browser, yes?

if that's true (not sure ...) w/ TBird, of course, i have to DL 1st, then install ...

not sure on Mac OS but you can drag-n-drop from the browser to the TB EM/TM window to have it install or I think from an email link.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

from previous thread ...

mrtech wrote:Lee_Dailey: it still provides the extracted page, not sure if it's calling the native window or it's own, but I'm banking on that it's calling it's own. will consider for future release

howdy mrtech,

that ext calls the exact same window as the edit-configuration button in options. the only diff i have noticed is that the window it brings up opens in the upper left corner of the primary screen instead of centerd on the primary screen like the built in options button does.

as a matter of fact, YOUR about:config opens that window in the upper left corner of the primary screen, too. [*grin*]

i understand you may need tome to fully confirm the ext's behavior. [*grin*] even if you don't have time to check it out, it might be good to add the ext to your list of those that can be removed.

take care,
lee
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Lee_Dailey: yeah the window behavior, size, etc aren't remembered on the extension version I think. I will only add it to the hitlist for TB 1.5 and newer as i don't actually have that window code in my extension. And that's my battle, do I prompt to remove because it's already installed but I add the icon, or do I just leave it alone....
mrtech

Re: MR Tech's Local Install 4.1 : 02-07-06 [FF/TB/Nvu/Moz/FL

Post by mrtech »

Code: Select all

<!-- Needed for compatibility with Netscape 8 -->
   <RDF:Description about="urn:mozilla:skin:fusion/1.0">
      <chrome:packages>
         <RDF:Seq about="urn:mozilla:skin:fusion/1.0:packages">
            <RDF:li resource="urn:mozilla:skin:fusion/1.0:flashblock"/>
      </chrome:packages>
   </RDF:Description>

just adding this code snippet seems to have work, great thanks!!!
nomasomn

Post by nomasomn »

hi,

i just verifired (for TBird) that you are correct in that you CAN
mrtech wrote:drag-n-drop from the browser to the TB EM/TM window to have it install"

works fine.

unlike when i LI-installl from the Desktop, the archive-to filed value is NOT reset ... i.e., it "stays put".

BUT, there is *still* no autoarchive happening ... no .xpi file is added to the assigned archive folder.

richard
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

mrtech wrote:Lee_Dailey: yeah the window behavior, size, etc aren't remembered on the extension version I think. I will only add it to the hitlist for TB 1.5 and newer as i don't actually have that window code in my extension. And that's my battle, do I prompt to remove because it's already installed but I add the icon, or do I just leave it alone....

howdy mrtech,

i'm not certain we are talking about the same thing. [*grin*]

i am talking about the extension for tbird - named about:comfig - that i linked in earlier. before that ext was updated to support tb150, i wrote to the author and was told that - when it WAS updated, the ext would ONLY trigger the built in edit-config that tb150 includes. it's essentially a toolbar button to call the same thing that the options button calls.

as for position of that window, it's a bug in tb - NOT in your code. i intend to write it up in bugzilla someday when it irritates me enuf or when someone else begins to notice it and mentiones it in the forums. lookee ...

- tb150 - config editor window size & position bug
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=367587

take care,
lee