HeaderTools ( for TB ) ver 0.6.0 available

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
TobyK

Post by TobyK »

Hi ausdilecce,

Thunderbird 1.5
TB Header Tools Extension 0.5.1

as Lee_Dailey wrote: _ALL_ multi line headers are trimmed down to one line. My last post included all multi line headers of one message i just changed (personal data overwritten by test).

The change I made: I inserted a X-Tag header - I did not change any of the other headers.

Sorry to bother you with that but at least I wanted to post it here to let the other users of the extension know about the problem. I think everybody here will understand that you have very limited free time and nobody will complain if you tell there is no spare time for the extensions right now - but they should know about problems like this since this problems might cause data loss.

Toby
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

OK, I found the silly error I made in the code.. and have fixed it.. ( I think I have sorted ALL of Lee's issues as well )

Get the 0.5.2 version from www.supportware.net/mozilla/HeaderTools052.xpi

TobyK, I apologise for getting heated in my response to your issue.. It was just the way you presented it... You could take a hint from Lee as to how to properly post an issue report..

Lee, with regard to no extra menu items in tools... you need to modify the "New Header Defaults" option in the extensions options to something like

X-Tags>work:friends:family,X-Catagories>rock:jazz:pop
yanwc

Post by yanwc »

Hi ausdilecce

I was sent you way by Milesh. I wanted to have new emails to in the same thread as the related emails.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=2074609

However, I was told that's not possible in a way as TBird use message ID to do that. Well my idea is to change that message ID. Is it possible to extent this extension to include that?

Thanks.
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Answered on the other thread Yanwc

( but yanwc deleted his post so I am adding my response here )

Well, You would NOT want to change message IDs.. Message IDs are supposed to be unique.

What you want to do is add a References: header to the message you want to be part of a thread.. The value of the References: header needs to be the *exact* message Id of the message you want it to be threaded to

For example
you have two messages ..
1) Subject: going to camping - MessageId: <fb2e50de6d517b912db5371aebddddce@some.thing.org>
2) Subject: here is a good map - MessageId: <13d.23b84998.310f9667@jimbo.com>

you want to add a References: header to message #2
and the References: header should have a value of <fb2e50de6d517b912db5371aebddddce@some.thing.org>

so once you insert the header.. it will look like this
References: <fb2e50de6d517b912db5371aebddddce@some.thing.org>

HeaderTools *can* do this

NOTE: the two messages need to be in the same TB folder
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy ausdilecce,

got the new version! thanks, dude. [*grin*]

also, saw the howto on getting entries onto the tools menu. i will test out all that later as i have something else i need to work on 1st. i'll post back soon as i get to test things.

take care,
lee

-edit
getting a zero size file again as of 2006-02-08, 8.04a US/CST, and the extended properties are not just listed as "missing" but are totally blank. my dlm utility is getting ...

"8:07:29 AM 2006-02-08 Unable to resolve the server name"

does that server need another "boot to the head"?
http://beagleweb.com/fun-taekwanleap.html
http://beagleweb.com/personal/Frantics- ... ep-64k.mp3

[*grin*]

take care,
lee
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Just checked the server and file.. all fine...
TobyK

Post by TobyK »

ausdilecce wrote: TobyK, I apologise for getting heated in my response to your issue.. It was just the way you presented it... You could take a hint from Lee as to how to properly post an issue report..

I'm sorry about the way I presented the issue. I was in a hurry, the email I inserted the header was readable only in the source-view of thunderbird and I wanted to tell about the problem before I had to leave... I really should have taken more time - I'll try my best next time.
ausdilecce, thanks again for all the great work you are doing!

Toby
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy ausdilecce,

it's there now ...
"
15.91 KB (16301 bytes)
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 04:31:27 PM
"

have NO idea what that was caused by. [*grin*] not gonna worry about it either. thanks for the heads-up! [*grin*]

take care,
lee
yanwc

Post by yanwc »

Thanks ausdilecce! It's working perfectly! very very happy... :)
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy ausdilecce,

[0] long msg that i hope doesn't come across as criticism but rather as critique. [*grin*]

[1] context menu chd works now! wheee!

[2] what does the format of this "new header defaults" line mean?
X-Tags>work:friends:family,X-Catagories>rock:jazz:pop

my guess ...
"X-Tags" = header name
">" = value list follows
":" = divides value list into single values to be inserted
"," = header name follows

[3] original email handling
- when i use the context menu, the header info is inserted into the original email.
- when i use the pull-down menu, the header is inserted into a COPY of the original, the copy is placed into the current folder and the original is sent to the trash.

why the diff behavior?

the 2nd behavior bugs me to no end! [*grin*] i can live with it, but the copy is sent to trash and i hafta go mark it as read if i hadn't done so already. since chd can't be invoked while the msg is displayed in a window - and i never use the msg/preview pane - this is a problem for me.

i can't use the msg pane cuz the timer is instantly marking all msgs viewed there as read. even when set to various large numbers. plus, it cannot be shut off! that's another two bugs, tho. [*grin*]

[4] flyouts
is there any way to make the "new header defaults" flyouts branch from the chd menu item? with two entries in that box, there are FOUR added menu entries. that's live-with-able ... [*grin*] but i would like to see it fit into less vertical space.

now ...
- chd
- add x-tags
+- value-1
+- value-2
- add categories
- remove x-tags
- remove categories

want ...
- chd
+- add x-tags
-+- value-1
-+- value-2
+- add categories
+- remove x-tags
+- remove categories

the plus sign is supposed to be a flyout ... [*grin*]

[5] what does the order of headers box do?
i am afraid to play with that ...

[6] what do the two debug check boxes do?
i looked for files in the profile, my temp folders, the app folder. nothing found.

[7] been playing with adding things from the menu.
- adding an item only puts in in when it aint already there.
YES! [*grin*] wheeeeeee!

- adding an item that is not already there adds the item to the front of the value list and puts a comma between it and the next value.
is there any way to put a space after that comma? i already found that i can use a space at the end of the value to make it go ...
"one ,two "

... but it would be easier for _me_ to read if it went thus ...
"one, two"

... or even thus ...
"one two"

[8] removing things
i have a msg with this ...
testing ,firefox,bugzilla mozilla thunderbird software,one two

when i try to remove "mozilla" the original msg is moved to trash and a copy is placed into the current folder.

HOWEVER, nothing is removed or changed in any way that i could see. i PRESUME that's cuz chd is looking for things between commas and found no match for just "mozilla" between any comma pair. is that so?

[9] diff pattern with add and remove
given this ...
testing ,firefox,bugzilla mozilla thunderbird software,one two

the add routine finds the existing value "mozilla" and does NOT add it again.
the remove routine does not find "mozilla".

it seems the add routine is recognizing white space for delimiters and the remove routine is only recognizing commas.

[10] is there any chance of getting the context menu chd behavior added to the message window?

take care,
lee

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

0 - no probs

1 - sorry bout the bug preventing it from working in the last version

2 - you got that exactly right

3 - diff behavior because I forgot to make it the same...
They should BOTH be the same,
but an upcoming option will allow for either trashing the original or modifying the original

4 - the furthur I push out the menu options, the harder they are to select
As it is now, to select something, the user must click 3 times

5 - the "order of headers" box allows one to put certain headers at the top of the CHD box, in order

6 - the debug checkboxes enable debug messages to be sent to the tools...javascript console

7 - I have attempted to put a bit of AI to keep the values from dooubling/tripling etc
any spaces added after a comma screws up this AI

8 - that is correct, it is looking for values between commas
(and EXACT match to what is supposed to be removed, case sensitive)

9 - the Add routine is much less sensitive, but should be ( this is a bug )

10 - yes, context menu options added to the message window is coming soon
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy ausdilecce,

thanks for the feedback!

[3] i prefer the context menu behavior, obviously. an option will be right fine.

[4] makes sense. there are other interface methods that i think i would prefer, but that's a topic for another day. [*grin*] i shall wait until things stabilize - and you have more time - before begging for bling-bling features.

[6] i never thot to look in the error console ... [*grin*]

[7, 8, 9] i would _prefer_ to see white space used as the primary delimiter but that is a purely personal pref. my eyes are pretty dang bad and "one,two" is FAR harder to read than "one two". yes, my eyes are that bad. [*grin*] i wear bifocals and am pro'ly gonna wear trifocals soon.

itunes uses whitespace that way. so when i need a phrase, i use underscores to link the words into one object.

[10] wheee! next will be a button ... [*grin*]

take care,
lee
zyzzyvas

Post by zyzzyvas »

I like 0.5.2. Getting better with every revision. Here's suggestion for a new feature:

In conjunction with the "Headers to Ignore" option, you should have a way to toggle it to "Headers to Allow". Basically, a list of the ONLY headers you ever want to see, if they are present.

In my case, I'd prefer to see only "Date,To,From,Subject,References,X-Tags,X-Categories" and hide anything else. This would keep the window neat and tidy. Trying to block the unwanted stuff is tough because there are so many different headers that different systems inject. The smarter thing to do is to identify the desirable ones. It would be a great option.

Should be very similar to the "ignore" code, but in reverse, right?
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

zyzzyvas,

Sounds good.. will give it a go
zyzzyvas

Post by zyzzyvas »

Oh, BTW, I strongly agree with Lee_Dailey about [7,8,9]...I would prefer whitespace as a delimiter.

Yes, it forces keywords to be single units, but remember, they are keyWORDS, not keyPHRASES :)

In addition to iTunes, another great example of space delimiters is del.icio.us for bookmark tagging. Works pretty darn well there! In a sense, what you are doing is emulating del.icio.us, so I would say that's even more reason to use spaces.

Naturally it's a personal preference thing, but I wanted to put in my vote. Heck, maybe the delimiter could be user-selectable :)