Opening links in new tabs instead of a new window

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

cornerstone

Opening links in new tabs instead of a new window

Post by cornerstone »

I don't know if this feature has been requested before but I like how Firefox allows me to force all links I click on a website to open in a new tab instead of a new window. Camino only does it some of the time but Firefox is about 95% reliable at this. Ever since Mozilla created tabs I rarely every open a new window so it would be nice if Camino was able to force every new window to open in a new tab instead. Camino does have the nice option of loading tabs in the background, but Firefox cannot.
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

I suggest you install CamiTools, then tick its "Single Window" option.
It has lots of other useful features as well! :)
smorgan
Camino Developer

Post by smorgan »

Single-window mode won't/can't work very well until some core changes have gone in to give Camino access to the same level of control that Firefox has. The good news is that that's being actively worked on at the moment.
cornerstone

Post by cornerstone »

krmathis wrote:I suggest you install CamiTools, then tick its "Single Window" option.
It has lots of other useful features as well! :)

I could do this but I was hoping that Camino would allow new users to have this feature too since tab is such a useful feature. Most new users or I would say "average" user wouldn't know about installing CamiTools nor do they visit forums like this one much.

That's one of the things I didn't like about Firefox. To get many useful features I would have to install so many extensions. I understand that this allows for greater customizing without bloating the core browser for everyone but since tabs is a popular feature I would hope that the feature I mentioned above would be standard in the browser. I have several friends who don't even know about Firefox's extensions so the requirement to install a plug-in isn't what I was hoping for. I've always liked Mozilla suite for having just enough useful features preinstalled into the browser. Camino and Firefox can be too basic of a browser for me sometimes. I guess some people want it that way.

smorgan wrote:The good news is that that's being actively worked on at the moment.

This is great to hear! I'm looking forward to future versions of Camino.
lan3y

Post by lan3y »

smorgan wrote:The good news is that that's being actively worked on at the moment.

Chiming in to support this feature!
TotalWimp

Post by TotalWimp »

I too would like this feature. It is the most important thing to me in terms of user experience.
BugMeNot account is disabled. Please Register your own account.
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

Well, the good news is that Boris Zbarsky, one of the incredible Gecko engineers, has just landed some changes on the trunk to make Single Window Mode friendly to embedding apps (like Camino), and it might land on the 1.8.1 branch--so there's now a *possibility* that this could be hooked up for Camino 1.x instead of Camino 2.x....
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
rahul

Post by rahul »

by "single window mode" do you all mean something more than adding:

user_pref("browser.link.open_newwindow", 1);
user_pref("browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction", 2); // for javascript

to user.js?
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

rahul wrote:by "single window mode" do you all mean something more than adding:

user_pref("browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction", 2); // for javascript

to user.js?

No, single window mode is just those two prefs (and browser.link.open_external); when properly set, those prefs will allow you to force all "new window"-generating links to open in a new tab (or the current tab).

Currently, only one value (setting) of the first pref works in Camino (whichever value sets target=* to open in the same tab/window--that's what CamiTools can set), and the second one does not work at all, because when the features were designed and implemented on Firefox's aviary branch, they ignored the requirements of Gecko embedding (used by apps like Camino, Epiphany, etc.).

I'm not sure that bz's fixes will magically make all the prefs and all their values work in Camino; there may be some changes needed on the Camino end, too....
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
Old davedit

Post by Old davedit »

Using the 2/9 trunk nightly, single window mode no longer works for me with the option in CamiTools. Anyone else?
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

I have yet to test it myself; would that be a fall out of bug 323810 ?
I think that it is the bug Uncle Asad is talking about. It landed on trunk.

[edit]
Back with the latest trunk build; confirmed that

Code: Select all

doesn't work anymore (set in prefs.js).

(Opening a link form another applications still opens a new tab).
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

fwifw, the bug that tracks the Single Window mode in Camino is: bug 274143.

As a work around to make links that open a new window more visible, add the following code in your userChrome.css

a[href][target]:not([target="_self"]) {cursor: ne-resize !important;}

[edit]
That should have been userContent.css above ... :oops:
Thanks for the person who PM me.
Last edited by phiw13 on February 10th, 2006, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BDog

Post by BDog »

phiw13 wrote:As a work around to make links that open a new window more visible, add the following code in your userChrome.css

a[href][target]:not([target="_self"]) {cursor: ne-resize !important;}
Thank you! I really like this.
jhirshon

Post by jhirshon »

Any prognosis on https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=274143 ?

This is driving me NUTS :(

cheers, JH
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

jhirshon. Parts of this will need to be fixed for Camino 1.1, or else it will be a regression from 1.0.x.
I am no programmer, but from what I understand this bug is a bit complicated because the function they relied on was moved out of Gecko. Meaning they have to code a completely new Camino specific tab/window handling function.

Thats all I know!