Tool for minimizing Thunderbird to the system tray

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
dfx

Tool for minimizing Thunderbird to the system tray

Post by dfx »

I've created a tiny tool for minimizing Thunderbird to the system tray (Windows only). Everyone who is interested is encouraged to give it a try...

http://www.protonfx.com/download/thundertray08.zip

Note: points to version 0.8, original/edited post pointed to:
- Version 0.6, http://www.protonfx.com/download/thundertray06.zip
- Version 0.7.5, http://www.protonfx.com/download/thundertray075.zip
- Version 0.7.6, http://www.protonfx.com/download/thundertray076.zip
- Version 0.7.7, http://www.protonfx.com/download/thundertray07.zip
Last edited by dfx on December 21st, 2003, 2:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.
The Drake

Post by The Drake »

Hmm, I may have found a slight problem with your extension, dfx. Try this: Click the "Write" button in Tbird, then close the window that comes up and minimize Thunderbird. Then, double-click the envelope icon in the system tray. I'm getting an empty window that says Compose: (no subject). Anyone else getting this?

EDIT: Oops, I guess this is in your list of known issues. Nevermind.
dfx

Post by dfx »

The_Drake wrote:EDIT: Oops, I guess this is in your list of known issues. Nevermind.

Well, I didn't write it down in that much detail, nor did I know it would be a problem with the New Mail window, but that was basically what I meant indeed. I will look into this problem ASAP
Last edited by dfx on September 21st, 2003, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dfx

Post by dfx »

I've fixed the problem. You can find the new version at the same location. New version number is 0.6a (internally 0.6.1).
The Drake

Post by The Drake »

dfx wrote:I've fixed the problem. You can find the new version at the same location. New version number is 0.6a (internally 0.6.1).

Great! Thanks! :D
dfx

Post by dfx »

I just noticed that this doesn't fix the problem in all cases. For some weird reason TBird keeps the "Compose" window open (albeit hidden) in the background after it is closed and this confuses the hell out of Thundertray. Anyways, everything should work fine if you start Thundertray before running Thunderbird. Or, better still, start Thunderbird with Thundertray....
jeanjean

Post by jeanjean »

woooot

been waiting for that for a looooong time now!

that's great, thanks so much :)

but.. err.. pink icon ?
The Drake

Post by The Drake »

jeanjean wrote:but.. err.. pink icon ?

Yeah, I know beggers can't be choosers, but I think a greyed-out icon would be a little more appropriate when it's inactive than the pink one. Just a suggestion.
me4get

Post by me4get »

Please make one for Firebird
Spaceman-Spiff

Post by Spaceman-Spiff »

yes, been waiting for this, thanks :)
now i can keep my tbird running 24/7
tphank

Great but...

Post by tphank »

up until now I was using Trayer (was freeware now shareware) to tray Thunderbird with great results. I tried Thundertray and was ready to convert 100% until I noticed that I wasnt gettin any new mail notice in the sys tray, the way I was in the past... If I run tbird standalone or with the Trayer utility, it appears. Can this be fixed?

Thanks!
Last edited by tphank on September 26th, 2003, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dfx

Re: Great but...

Post by dfx »

tphank wrote:up until now I was using Trayer (freeware) to tray Thunderbird with great results. I tried Thundertray and was ready to convert 100% until I noticed that I wasnt gettin any new mail notice in the sys tray, the way I was in the past... If I run tbird standalone or with the Trayer utility, it appears. Can this be fixed?

Well, this shouldn't happen. I will investigate the problem. Has anyone else got the same problem?
tphank

Post by tphank »

BTW,Win2k SP 4.
The trayer software was freeware, but the latest version is shareware...
Nevyn

Re: Great but...

Post by Nevyn »

dfx wrote:
tphank wrote:up until now I was using Trayer (freeware) to tray Thunderbird with great results. I tried Thundertray and was ready to convert 100% until I noticed that I wasnt gettin any new mail notice in the sys tray, the way I was in the past... If I run tbird standalone or with the Trayer utility, it appears. Can this be fixed?

Well, this shouldn't happen. I will investigate the problem. Has anyone else got the same problem?

I get sound but no popup from the system tray and no new mail icon in the system tray. Using Win2000 with sp4.

Thanks for your effort in creating this.

Steve

EDIT: Doing a test for the above after first installing Thundertray I did get this problem but subsequent auto download of mail had all notifications working. I dont know...
dfx

Post by dfx »

Well, I can imagine that it may happen when starting Thundertray while Thunderbird is already running. It should not happen when Thundertray is started before Thunderbird. But then again, it might be a bug. I'm trying to reproduce the problem...