MR Tech's Local Install 4.6.4 (4-20-06)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

hi all,

i'm using FF 1.5.0, AIOS 6.4, MTLI 4.1, and Outlook Green 1.5.3 for my theme. the extension and themes sidebar doesn't look very good at all..

i was able to use the local_install.viewPadding hack to get rid of borders and make it look like bookmarks/history (sort of a strange way to do this, maybe adding clear/obvious ids so it would be easier to figure out via domi might be cleaner). but,

1. menubar has a left border gray padding which i can't find, and the themes/myconfig/restart icons don't space in the sidebar - restart is way off to the right beyond view (as seen if opened in a browser tab).

2. how can i change the background color of the buttonbar (gray)? how can i get rid of the big blue Install button and just have it flat like the Uninstall button. how can i remove the text and just have the icons (so it fits with the Tool & Options button? and best, could those 3 be moved from the buttonbar to the sidebar menubar??

3. the mrtech extension and theme toolbar icons are much better than the default, but they always open in a tab and i'd like to open them in the sidebar - possible? unfortunately, the default icons disappear on hover.

thanks for any advice - not sure which of the 3 apps involved is responsible though!
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

danhash wrote:The second-to-last update to the dev build (4.0.something) of Local Install broke my greasemonkey. The icon still showed up and I right-clicked it and there were checkmarks by whatever scripts should be activated for the page, but none of the scripts worked. So I disabled Local Install and greasemonkey worked again. Then I re-enabled and greasemonkey stopped working. So I disabled it and today I updated Local Install to 4.1 and re-enabled it, but am still having the same problem. Has anyone else had this problem, or do you know what I can do to fix it?

I'm installing greasemonkey now and will do some testing but here are some suggestions:
- Enable javascript debugging and check for erros in the JS Console: set both of these to true in about:config javascript.options.showInConsole and javascript.options.strict

- Try disabling any or all of the following to see if grease monkey comes back: Adblock, Google Safe Browsing, Customize Google, Stylish

- Isn't Google Suggest built into the Google Bar? Try disabling/uninstalling that
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

What do you mean on the Install button being like Uninstall? They look the same on every theme I've tried. Except the icon is always there unless I turn it off in the options, when some themes remove the Uninstall icon.
Moving those buttons from one bar to the other is done by an option in AIOS. Toggle the option in the Extensions of Themes tab of AIOS options having to do with changing the layout to be better for the sidebar and see about that.
As for the EM and TM opening in the sidebar, AIOS likes to overrule MTLI's setting on this. Go into the AIOS options and make sure the option to open EM and TM in the sidebar is enabled (I don't have AIOS installed at the moment, so I can't give exact directions). While you're at it, you can go in MTLI options, under Manager Hacks:Behavior, and set "Select Window Target" to "Sidebar", but, like I said, in the current version of AIOS, this setting is usually overridden, but you definitely should check it if you're having trouble.
Last edited by XerBlade on February 9th, 2006, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
User Agent
Extensions
AMD64/2.41GHz RAM/1.0GB ATI/256MB-GDDR3/128-bit/8xAGP Cable6.0M/384kbps
mrtech

Re: Local Install 4.1 trashed my toolbar setup

Post by mrtech »

Tanker Bob wrote:When I updated to 4.1 from 4.0, my custom navigation toolbar reverted to the default, all the icons in toolbar customize disappeared, and my bookmark toolbar went blank. Disabling 4.1 allowed me to recreate my nav toolbar, but reenabling it lost the toolbar customization again. After attempting numerous fix strategies, I finally uninstalled 4.1 and then installed 4.0 again. Everything works fine again except the bookmark toolbar, which seems gone forever even though the approprate bookmark folder still exists. Any ideas?

Suggesions:
- Enable javascript debugging and check for erros in the JS Console: set both of these to true in about:config

- Try finding going into safe mode and when prompted click on reset toolbar, etc and then restart in regular mode
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

danhash wrote:The second-to-last update to the dev build (4.0.something) of Local Install broke my greasemonkey. The icon still showed up and I right-clicked it and there were checkmarks by whatever scripts should be activated for the page, but none of the scripts worked. So I disabled Local Install and greasemonkey worked again. Then I re-enabled and greasemonkey stopped working. So I disabled it and today I updated Local Install to 4.1 and re-enabled it, but am still having the same problem. Has anyone else had this problem, or do you know what I can do to fix it?

Just installed Google Toolbar, Google Safe Browsing and Greasemonkey and all seem to be playing nice. The only possible difference that I can see is that I'm using Adblock Plus 0.6.1 instead of Adblock, might be something you might want to try.

btw, google suggest is built into customizegoogle, try disabling it.

also try disabling all your greasemonkey scripts and re-enabling one by one to see if they work.
you can also check to see if any have been updated, etc. good luck.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

thanks XerBlade -

XerBlade wrote:What do you mean on the Install button being like Uninstall? They look the same on every theme I've tried. Except the icon is always there unless I turn it off in the options, when some themes remove the Uninstall icon.

the Install button is a 3d raised blue background button - it's bizarre, but it's there! it can't be the theme (the theme doesn't do anything special for AIOS alas, and it's not even close thematically).. and the whole background is gray, also unthematic. any idea on the removing the text?

XerBlade wrote:Moving those buttons from one bar to the other is done by an option in AIOS. Toggle the option in the Extensions of Themes tab of AIOS options having to do with changing the layout to be better for the sidebar and see about that.

the Optimize Layout for Sidebar has always been ticked for both EM and TM.. those buttonbar icons aren't moveable via Customize and i don't know how else i'd do that.

XerBlade wrote:As for the EM and TM opening in the sidebar, AIOS likes to overrule MTLI's setting on this. Go into the AIOS options and make sure the option to open EM and TM in the sidebar is enabled (I don't have AIOS installed at the moment, so I can't give exact directions). While you're at it, you can go in MTLI options, under Manager Hacks:Behavior, and set "Select Window Target" to "Sidebar", but, like I said, in the current version of AIOS, this setting is usually overridden, but you definitely should check it if you're having trouble.

yes, the AIOS option had been set; setting it in MTLI to sidebar did it!
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

alta88 wrote:hi all,

i'm using FF 1.5.0, AIOS 6.4, MTLI 4.1, and Outlook Green 1.5.3 for my theme. the extension and themes sidebar doesn't look very good at all..

i was able to use the local_install.viewPadding hack to get rid of borders and make it look like bookmarks/history (sort of a strange way to do this, maybe adding clear/obvious ids so it would be easier to figure out via domi might be cleaner). but,

1. menubar has a left border gray padding which i can't find, and the themes/myconfig/restart icons don't space in the sidebar - restart is way off to the right beyond view (as seen if opened in a browser tab).

2. how can i change the background color of the buttonbar (gray)? how can i get rid of the big blue Install button and just have it flat like the Uninstall button. how can i remove the text and just have the icons (so it fits with the Tool & Options button? and best, could those 3 be moved from the buttonbar to the sidebar menubar??

3. the mrtech extension and theme toolbar icons are much better than the default, but they always open in a tab and i'd like to open them in the sidebar - possible? unfortunately, the default icons disappear on hover.

thanks for any advice - not sure which of the 3 apps involved is responsible though!

1. i tried a few things just now to remove the padding, but I can't, please contact the theme author as other themes don't experience this issue.

2. I see the way the Install button is being displayed now, I'll try to see what I can do to mimic AIOS' style, but I've tried in the past with no success. Try contacting either aios developer or the theme developer to see if they have any suggestions.

3. the EM/TM window target settings are in the Local Install options dialog under Manager Hacks|Behavior, not seeing the disappearing icons on hover, sry.
Tanker Bob

Re: Local Install 4.1 trashed my toolbar setup

Post by Tanker Bob »

mrtech wrote:
Tanker Bob wrote:When I updated to 4.1 from 4.0, my custom navigation toolbar reverted to the default, all the icons in toolbar customize disappeared, and my bookmark toolbar went blank. Disabling 4.1 allowed me to recreate my nav toolbar, but reenabling it lost the toolbar customization again. After attempting numerous fix strategies, I finally uninstalled 4.1 and then installed 4.0 again. Everything works fine again except the bookmark toolbar, which seems gone forever even though the approprate bookmark folder still exists. Any ideas?

Suggesions:
- Enable javascript debugging and check for erros in the JS Console: set both of these to true in about:config

- Try finding going into safe mode and when prompted click on reset toolbar, etc and then restart in regular mode

Thanks for your quick reply. Using safe mode to reset the toolbars, etc., regained full function under Local Install 4.0. Great! However, reinstalling 4.1.1 loses everything again. In addition to the toolbars, the menu options and status bar entries from most other extensions are missing as well. 4.1.1 seems to think that it is almost the only extension loaded.

The console shows a number of javascript errors that appear related to this problem. Is there a way I can copy and paste the entire javascript console error list? I can only seem to copy individual entries, which would take a while to do.
Regards,
Tanker Bob
Tanker Bob's PDA Page
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Install Console+ and you can highlight multiple errors and copy them http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=318102

But to be honest it appears an extension or profile cleanup is in order, sorry.
Tanker Bob

Post by Tanker Bob »

mrtech wrote:Install Console+ and you can highlight multiple errors and copy them http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=318102

But to be honest it appears an extension or profile cleanup is in order, sorry.

Thanks again! Got Console+, and here's the error stream:

Error: Expected declaration but found '/'. Skipped to next declaration.
Source file: chrome://browser/skin/browser.css
Line: 408
----------
Error: Expected color but found 'GreyText'. Error in parsing value for property 'color'. Declaration dropped.
Source file: chrome://browser/skin/officexp.css
Line: 52
----------
Error: Expected end of value for property but found '2px'. Error in parsing value for property 'border'. Declaration dropped.
Source file: chrome://global/skin/progressmeter.css
Line: 47
----------
Error: palette has no properties
Source file: chrome://aios/content/tbx/tbx.xml
Line: 200
----------
----------
----------
----------
----------
----------
----------
----------
Error: this.parentNode.palette has no properties
Line: 118
----------
----------
Error: element has no properties
Source file: chrome://linkchecker/content/linkchecker.js
Line: 31
----------
----------
Error: Selector expected. Ruleset ignored due to bad selector.
Source file: chrome://global/skin/dialog.css
Line: 123
----------
Error: Unexpected end of file while searching for closing } of invalid rule set.
Source file: chrome://global/skin/dialog.css
Line: 123
----------
Error: Index or size is negative or greater than the allowed amount = NS_ERROR_DOM_INDEX_SIZE_ERR
Source file: chrome://answers/content/answers.js
Line: 225
Regards,
Tanker Bob
Tanker Bob's PDA Page
Tanker Bob

Post by Tanker Bob »

Well, since All In One Sidebar 0.6.4 appeared so prominently in the list, I started there and disabled it. After the safe mode trip to reset toobars, etc., I got most of my customize icons back for the nav bar, and everything back on the status bar with 4.1.1 running. However, I'm missing a number of key toolbar icons, including/especially Flashblock and Restart Firefox icons, although the latter appears in the menus. The only way to enable/disable Flashblock now is in the extensions display.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the possible conflicts with AIOS and the remaining missing icons for the nav bar.
Regards,
Tanker Bob
Tanker Bob's PDA Page
rtk

Post by rtk »

rtk wrote:... a context menu item in the EM to archive extensions with updates manually, and thoughts either way? Not possible and/or not interested?

I'll take it as a "not interested".

Here's another suggestion then, could we change the wording on the titlebar in EM when looking for updates from "~Find Updates~" to "~Finding Updates~", or something similar. Just doesn't seem like "find updates" is the appropriate tense. As well, I'd like to second the suggestion that it doesn't just disappear when complete, but is replaced with "updates found!" or "no updates found".

Whatchya think?
rtk
alta88

Post by alta88 »

thanks for your help mrtech. i've posted this on the AIOS forum.. unfortunately, the theme developer isn't as responsive.

TB- i spent a lot of time trying to get the flash icon into statusbar, and finally got it done with AIOS. you may know this already, but they have 2 placeholders in statusbar (have to turn on the option via Settings button, tick Advanced Mode, Misc Opt, Special tab, Enable Preconfigured for statusbar) into which you can drag icons from Customize that are normally only draggable into toolbars.
Tanker Bob

Post by Tanker Bob »

alta88 wrote:thanks for your help mrtech. i've posted this on the AIOS forum.. unfortunately, the theme developer isn't as responsive.

TB- i spent a lot of time trying to get the flash icon into statusbar, and finally got it done with AIOS. you may know this already, but they have 2 placeholders in statusbar (have to turn on the option via Settings button, tick Advanced Mode, Misc Opt, Special tab, Enable Preconfigured for statusbar) into which you can drag icons from Customize that are normally only draggable into toolbars.

Thanks for the help. I did not know that. However, under Local Install 4.1.1, I don't have the flash icon (or several others) anywhere, even under customize toolbars. It seems that 4.1.1 nails a number of other extensions besides AOIS, or it interferes with the theme. Although I've recovered some functions after disabling AIOS, it looks like I'll have to revert to 4.0 to get everything back. I'd rather do that than lose key extensions like flashblock.
Regards,
Tanker Bob
Tanker Bob's PDA Page
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

rtk wrote:
rtk wrote:... a context menu item in the EM to archive extensions with updates manually, and thoughts either way? Not possible and/or not interested?

I'll take it as a "not interested".

Here's another suggestion then, could we change the wording on the titlebar in EM when looking for updates from "~Find Updates~" to "~Finding Updates~", or something similar. Just doesn't seem like "find updates" is the appropriate tense. As well, I'd like to second the suggestion that it doesn't just disappear when complete, but is replaced with "updates found!" or "no updates found".

Whatchya think?

sorry, yes I should be able to do this, but I have to work around how that menu is populated/drawn, it's dynamic so hiding "Archive..." when there is none might be tough.

For the title I didn't want to introduce any new strings so I'm actually using the string from the "Find Updates" button that way translators didn't have yet another string to translate before releasing. I might leave this as-is for now until I group some ideas I have to see what makes sense.

thanks.