How Can I Block Pop-Under Ads?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
mastavic

How Can I Block Pop-Under Ads?

Post by mastavic »

Hey Everyone,
How's it going? Firefox has been doing a great job blocking pop-up ads, but a lot of pop-under ads get through to me. How can I block such ads? Here's an example: At this site, whenever I load it or click on the links in the first post at that site's thread, pop-under ads will be activated. How can I block these ads? I have been looking for extensions but could not find anything. Thank you.

Sincerely,
-=Victor Ly/MaStA ViC
Racer

Post by Racer »

For me, in Firefox 1.5.0.1, they aren't pop-under ads; they just open a new window (which is weird because I have the "force links" into "new tab" option selected). The funny thing is that Firefox says it blocked a popup, but it looks like it got through anyways.

What version of FF do you have?
Monimonika

Post by Monimonika »

I didn't get any pop-ups at all (although I do get a new tab when clicking the link, but then I have it set so that non-javascript links that are supposed to open in a new window will open in a new tab instead. I'm using Tab Mix Plus for the settings).

After a bit of tweaking my security extension settings, I think I know the culprit. It seems to be coming from "clicksor.com". I couldn't see AdBlock Plus (extension) blocking it before, but once I temporarily allowed NoScript (extension) to execute javascript coming from that site, AdBlock Plus swiftly started blocking "ad.clicksor.com" ads. I don't think I need (or want) to try further by disabling AdBlock Plus, too.
name already taken

Post by name already taken »

Wow, it's even a full screen pop under, that's annoying.
Does this help at all: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Pop-ups_not_blocked
"It burns like hygiene!"
scratch

Post by scratch »

it happens when you *click a link*. you clicked the link and got a window. this makes it not an unrequested popup. there's no way to block this sort of thing without breaking tons and tons of legit sites.
scratch

Post by scratch »

Racer wrote:For me, in Firefox 1.5.0.1, they aren't pop-under ads; they just open a new window (which is weird because I have the "force links" into "new tab" option selected). The funny thing is that Firefox says it blocked a popup, but it looks like it got through anyways.

What version of FF do you have?

it'll force links into a new tab, but not javascript popups (requested or otherwise). this is by design. i think there's an about:config pref to force javascript popups into a new tab as well, if that's what you want.
name already taken

Actually it happened for me by just clicking a blank spot on the page. I have seen this used before as a means of bypassing the popup blocker (it's a known bug, I believe).
"It burns like hygiene!"
scratch

Post by scratch »

even fixing that will break legitimate sites. a click is considered to be a request. sites rely on that.
name already taken

I'm guessing this is Bug 270867, if not it may be one of those listed here.
scratch wrote:even fixing that will break legitimate sites. a click is considered to be a request. sites rely on that.

I'm probably in over my head here, but couldn't we just allow popups only when they are from clicked links? In my experience I have never seen a useful popup from clicking a blank spot on the page.
In any event you can block these by using a hosts file.
"It burns like hygiene!"
scratch

Post by scratch »

not a blank spot on a page, but probably an image or a div or something else. maybe you didn't even realize it wasn't a link.
Old psaulm119

Post by Old psaulm119 »

No popups/unders for me, but then again as others have indicated, I have a hosts file that blocks this junk.

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

This page gives you a handy tool to manage this file--sometimes, you actually want to let those junk sites that you are going somewhere--it lets you easily turn on and off the hosts file:

http://www.mvps.org/PracticallyNerded/SoftMain.htm
max1million

Post by max1million »

/\Wads?\W/ in Adblock and got none. I also use Quick Preference Button to put all new windows links to tabs, like in the image.
Äkiidoll

Post by Äkiidoll »

Install NoScript

After installation >right click the website youre at to access/set the NoScript options
and preference for that particular website or click the 'S' icon in the far right lower corner.
A prisoner of Christ Jesus, by His stripes I was healed
scratch

Post by scratch »

noscript is major major overkill for, well, just about everyone.
mastavic

Post by mastavic »

Hey Everyone,
Thanks for all the replies! I tried every single method that I could, some once, some twice. I could not figure out how to do two of the things listed earlier this month, so I skipped them. Yesterday, however, I decided to revisit the methods so I went through all of them once again. To my surprise, I followed what name already taken said it that did it! =) More specifically, Filterset.G did the job.

Thank you so, so, so much for all the help =) I really, really appreciate it!
Sincerely,
-=Victor Ly