MR Tech's Local Install 4.6.4 (4-20-06)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Old Seamaiden

Post by Old Seamaiden »

MR Tech Local Install 4.1.1

PROBLEM 1

While attempting to install this extension (upgrading from 4.1 to 4.1.1), the extension failed to install properly in both Firefox 1.5.0.1 and Thunderbird 1.5. After restarting each app several times, the extension still failed to install.

PROBLEM 2
Immediately after the install attempts, several of my custom toolbar icons were gone from both Firefox and Thunderbird. They weren't even in the list of available icons in regular mode or in safe mode. Have these icons been removed somehow by the 4.1-4.1.1 upgrade?

- Theme manager button with drop-down arrow
- Extension manager button with drop-down arrow
- Options button (FF/TB - tools - options)
- MyConfig button
- Bookmarks button
- Downloads button

There may be other buttons missing as well, but those are the key ones I use. I want those buttons back, if not all, at least the first four.

PROBLEM 3
MR Tech Local Install 4.1.1 would not properly install, disable, or uninstall. I tried reinstalling 4.1 overtop it in hopes that might fix the problem. It did not. The damage had already been done by the failed 4.1.1 install.

PROBLEM 4
Both my firefox and thunderbird profiles are now corrupt. I manually deleted the entire firefox profile and pasted in my backup (which has MR Tech Local Install 4.0 and several other extensions), but there is no backup for thunderbird. I do not know how to manually move my mail folders to a newly created mail profile. I think you have to copy more files than just the Mail folder. The Mail folder and its contents are not corrupt. It's the other stuff in the profile that is. If you could point me to a tutorial for how to do it, let me know. Prefs.js in Thunderbird is no good now, and I do not know which other profile files are corrupt and which are not. Everything in the extensions folder can go, since I'll start installing extensions from scratch.

After creating a new thunderbird profile, I can either import settings from Outlook Express or set up each email address manually. If I import settings right away from OE, that configures everything except passwords and SMTP, which must be done manually. That will give me back all of OE's mail but it won't help with the messages TB had which OE did not.

Should I just delete everything in the new profile's Mail folder and overwrite it with my old Mail folder from the corrupt profile? (As stated before, I am sure that the mail messages themselves are not corrupt. It was the other stuff in the profile that was.) Will the new TB profile "see" all the messages if I just paste them in and overwrite the old? I could then do an import from OE after that, in order to get a complete message store, even though it may cause duplicates. There is an extension "Advance Remove Duplicates" that can remove the duplicates.

SUMMARY
Since the installation of MR Tech Local Install 4.1.1 did something to mess up my Firefox and Thunderbird profiles, I am hesitant to reinstall it. Should I just install 4.1 and wait for a bug fix before upgrading further? Or maybe I can create a second profile with no extensions installed and try installing 4.1.1 as an experiment to see:

(1) will it install correctly,
(2) will the icon problem from before be present again,
(3) will the extension allow itself to be disabled/enabled,
(4) will the extension uninstall.

Waiting to hear from an expert.
:)
Old Seamaiden

Post by Old Seamaiden »

MR Tech Local Install 4.1.1 installed properly in the new Thunderbird profile with no problems. All the icons are still there. I still need help getting my mail messages from the old profile to the new.
Tanker Bob

Post by Tanker Bob »

seamaiden,

You may want to read through my posts and MR's replies starting here. I had almost identical problems. The problem was apparently caused by a profile that already had problems before the install. After creating a new profile and manually populating it, I'm working fine now.
Regards,
Tanker Bob
Tanker Bob's PDA Page
Old Seamaiden

Post by Old Seamaiden »

Firefox 1.5.0.1
After restoring my Firefox profile from a backup, MR Tech Local Install 4.1.1 did install properly without any problems. Here is mrtech's advice to Bob Tanker for his corrupted firefox profile.
Suggesions:
- Enable javascript debugging and check for erros in the JS Console: set both of these to true in about:config

- Try finding going into safe mode and when prompted click on reset toolbar, etc and then restart in regular mode

1. How do you enable javascript debugging, and where do you enable it? I saw no javascript debugging options in Firefox's about:config. There are no JS Console or Console² options in about:config either, so you need to tell me exactly which options to set to true. Does Thunderbird have these same options? If not, what do I need to set there?
2. I also installed Console², the replacement for JS Console, but I don't understand any of the errors. I'm not a coder or programmer. This is from Firefox.
Error: NavObserver is not defined
Source file: chrome://imgbot/content/dragdropupload_patch.js
Line: 18
----------
Error: Components.classes['@mozilla.org/uriloader/content-handler;1?type=application/x-maf'] has no properties
Source file: chrome://maf/content/maf.js
Line: 773
----------
Error: Components.classes['@mozilla.org/uriloader/content-handler;1?type=application/x-maf'] has no properties
----------
TimetrackService: initValues
----------
----------
----------
Error: NavObserver is not defined
Source file: chrome://imgbot/content/dragdropupload_patch.js
Line: 18
----------
----------
----------
Error: e.originalTarget.body has no properties
Source file: chrome://customizegoogle/content/browser.xul
Line: 209
----------
No chrome package registered for chrome://navigator/locale/navigator.properties .
----------
No chrome package registered for chrome://navigator-region/locale/region.properties .
----------
No chrome package registered for chrome://communicator-region/locale/region.properties .
----------
----------

I do know that "MAF" is "Mozilla Archive Format". That's one extension that I use daily to save web pages as MAF/MHT. Still don't know what all those errors mean, if anything to be concerned about.

Maybe I'm not using that extension right. Here is another attempt. I removed the duplicates.
Error: Not enough arguments [nsIDOMEventTarget.removeEventListener] = NS_ERROR_XPC_NOT_ENOUGH_ARGS
Source file: chrome://groowebar/content/groowebar.js
Line: 74
----------
Error: Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIRDFContainer.Init]
Source file: chrome://answers/content/answers.js
Line: 336
----------
Error: 'Failure' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent] = NS_ERROR_FAILURE
Source file: chrome://tabmixplus/content/minit/tablib.js
Line: 182
----------
----------
Error: SSC_dump is not defined
Source file: chrome://stanford-safecache/content/stanford-safecache.js
Line: 72
----------
Error: Components is not defined
Source file: chrome://404cache/content/404cacheOverlay.js
Line: 61

Thunderbird 1.5
MR Tech Local Install 4.1.1 installed to the new profile without problems. I still need to know how to get my old mails into the new profile. There are only three extensions installed so far in the new profile.

- MR Tech Local Install 4.1.1
- Text Size Toolbar
- Console²

Being visually impaired, the Text Size Toolbar is a MUST for both Thunderbird and Firefox. There are no Console² errors in Thunderbird.

By the way, does the Clear button in Console² remove the error entries from whatever file they are in, or does it just clear them from the Console² window?
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

MboxImport should help you with getting your old tb mail imported into your new profile, which I had a better solution or answer, but with so many different variables it's tough to decipher what the cause might be. I'll keep trying to investigate though.

https://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html
Last edited by mrtech on February 9th, 2006, 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
akahige

Post by akahige »

As a bit of a niggle, shouldn't the title bar message "~Find Updates~" be more informative if it read "FINDING Updates" -- since after all, it is an act in progress?
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

akahige wrote:As a bit of a niggle, shouldn't the title bar message "~Find Updates~" be more informative if it read "FINDING Updates" -- since after all, it is an act in progress?

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 64#2078364
sternox

Post by sternox »

the restart function dont work in seamonkey and some of the menu options dont work when i tell local install to not show menu items they remain
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

yes I need to disable restart for seamonkey, but what other menu options now behave?
akahige

Post by akahige »

mrtech wrote:
akahige wrote:As a bit of a niggle, shouldn't the title bar message "~Find Updates~" be more informative if it read "FINDING Updates" -- since after all, it is an act in progress?

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 64#2078364

Gee, how nicely circular. I think I was the one that initially suggested the other remarked upon feature. I read this thread religiously and somehow managed to completely space on seeing that post. Must need sleep.

:D

Keep up the good work!
sternox

Post by sternox »

the copy user agent and edit my config wont disapear from the tools menu. cant you fix the restart ?
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

sternox wrote:the copy user agent and edit my config wont disapear from the tools menu. cant you fix the restart ?

I'll check these out, thanks.

restart is part of the core functionality and seamonkey doesn't fully support it yet.
LadyLorelei

Post by LadyLorelei »

Isn't Edit My Config supposed to be in the Tools menu? It's part of MR Tech Local Install and makes the Edit My Config extension obsolete. Did you have Edit My Config installed?

After installation of MR Tech Local Install, you should have been alerted that MR Tech Local Install replaces Edit My Config and should have prompted to you to uninstall the Edit My Config extension. If that extension has been uninstalled, then the Edit My Config option in the Tools menu is normal. It's supposed to be there. Copy User Agent is also supposed to be there. It's also part of MR Tech Local Install.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

LadyLorelei wrote:Isn't Edit My Config supposed to be in the Tools menu? It's part of MR Tech Local Install and makes the Edit My Config extension obsolete. Did you have Edit My Config installed?

After installation of MR Tech Local Install, you should have been alerted that MR Tech Local Install replaces Edit My Config and should have prompted to you to uninstall the Edit My Config extension. If that extension has been uninstalled, then the Edit My Config option in the Tools menu is normal. It's supposed to be there. Copy User Agent is also supposed to be there. It's also part of MR Tech Local Install.

it's a bug in my code for seamonkey tools menu is now fixed locally as is disabling restart options for moz suite & seamonkey, thanks.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

seamaiden wrote:And here is a new issue.

MR Tech Local Install 4.0/4.1

PROBLEM
Slim Mode View in Thunderbird 1.5 does NOT work with the following themes: Littlebird, Nautipolis, Walnut

Those themes change the normal view of the Extension Manager and Theme Manager windows to rectangular boxes for each item instead of lists. The Slim Mode View for the corresponding themes in Firefox (Littlefox, Nautipolis, Walnut) DOES work.

No known workaround so far for Thunderbird.

I didn't forget you, but after bashing my head against my desk for too long here is the best I can come up with below. I'm not going to include it as part of my code because it distorts other themes.

Also there's not much I can do with the Extension manager window icon being on it's own line, the binding on the theme are laid out akwardly, enjoy.

It's not perfect but it works well, just enable slim mode and add the following to your userChrome.css:

Code: Select all

/* slimmode fixes Littlebird, Nautipolis & Walnut height issues */
richlistbox[state="extensions"] extension {
  width: auto !important;
  display: block !important;
}

edit #1: somehow the icon size didn't work after I posted, will try again later.

edit #2: ok, I've added a mini fix for the EM Window icon size, but TM window icon size is hopeless because of the layout in the bindings, just enable slim mode and put the css code above in your userChrome.css with the next release the EM window icon will be better.