Download Actions dialog box lists NO ACTIONS; nothing listed

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Download Actions dialog box lists NO ACTIONS; nothing listed

Post by Guest »

i have searched and searched all over, I can't figure out why when I go to tools/options/downloads/view and edit actions, I do not see anything listed there.

I have already uninstalled Firefox 1.5, rebooted, then reinstall it again. How can I fix this component to work correctly? Currently, I have no way to change behaviors when downloading specific file types.

Thanks in advance!
-Michael
Alice

Post by Alice »

If the download actions list is empty and you can't change established file-opening preferences, possibly the mimetypes.rdf file in the Firefox profile folder is corrupt. Close Firefox completely, then rename the profile folder's mimetypes.rdf file to Xmimetypes.rdf and see if that helps.

You can also check through these previous threads for other ideas:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=348420
Download Actions, WMV files

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=347732
mimetypes.rdf corruption affects 1.5, not 1.0

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=356337
Open with "do this automatically" doesnt remember
Alice Wyman
mkanet

Post by mkanet »

Thanks Alice, upbelievably GREAT support! I wish I had known about this forum before spending hours of searching!

-Michael
Alice

Post by Alice »

So renaming the mimetypes.rdf file worked, I take it?

Thanks for posting back :)
Alice Wyman
mkanet

Post by mkanet »

Yes, that did it! It was a corrupted file.

Post by Guest »

I had the same problem in my upgrade to 1.5- thanks for the post
rrusick

Post by rrusick »

I have been having similar problems with Firefox 1.5

I prefer to have QuickTime links open in the QuickTime player,
instead of using Firefox's QT player plugin;
and I had edited the 'Helpers' to make it work this way.
Firefox 1.5 was not paying attention to this preference.

The Download Actions window was empty,
with all of its buttons greyed out,
so I could not use that interface.

Someone had suggested the Mimetype Editor extension,
as a substitute.

This worked,
although I had to define the Quicktime mime as 'video/quicktime object'
instead of 'video/quicktime' as it should have been.

Don't know what problem that may be pointing toward,
but there you go...
zdydek

Post by zdydek »

Deleting the mimeTypes.rdf file worked for me; however, it was a temporary fix.

As soon as I download something else, the mimeTypes.rdf file becomes corrupted again. So I can't really ever download something without going through the prompt.

Not a huge deal, but it is an annoying bug...
reuben77

same problem here

Post by reuben77 »

I am having the same problem as the person above (zdydek), mimetypes stops working all the time. I hope this gets fixed soon, cause it's very very annoying, especially when it all worked fine in previous versions.
BigJon

Post by BigJon »

Okay folks, here's what's happening here... Yes, I'm sure... Yes, I can reproduce this problem AND this cure...

When you set a new Action and check the box to have firefox "Do This Automatically... " Firefox saves the appropriate entries to mimeTypes.rdf. IF the file handler set for this filetype has NO Description Text in its properties, subsequent readings of mimeTypes.rdf via "Tools | Options | View/Edit Actions" will display nothing.

I used Azureus.exe as my first test case. It had no text in its properties list (as shown in Windows Explorer), and caused the behavior noted above in Firefox. I used Exescope to hack some descriptive text into Azureus.exe, and voila... Firefox now behaved correctly. I tried this with a couple more exe's, and was satisfied of my findings.

I hope your mileage doesn't vary too much...

Jon
zdydek

Post by zdydek »

Jon--

This fix works beautifully! I'm no longer having the problem with the mimetypes.rdf file.

Thanks very much!
hakujin

Post by hakujin »

BigJon, could you explain that again? I'm having trouble understanding you. I have this nagging problem with mimetypes in firefox. It never remembers my settings, always gives me the nagging dialog, and when I save certain program file types with certain programs (i.e. newsleecher nzbs), filetypes dialog is empty and I have to delete the .rdf. This is by far, the worst bug (I think it's a bug regardless of websites sending the wrong mime info) I've come across in FF.

I have the exescope shareware and I'd like to fix the apps giving my a headache, utorrent and newsleecher (torrent and nzb file types, respectively).
Alice

Post by Alice »

Related bug report, for the record:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=308204
Download Actions is blank; no Actions or File Types displayed
Alice Wyman
BigJon

Post by BigJon »

<disclaimer>
I need to stress that I have NOT found the root cause of this issue, nor do I have a true fix for it. What I do have is a little better understanding of its mechanics.
</disclaimer>

You've actually mentioned TWO DIFFERENT issues.

First... the Disappearing Dialog Box...

Firefox apparently populates part of the list within this box using data it reads from the actual executable files referenced as "File Handlers." Specifically, Firefox reads the Description Field. When it finds no descriptive text in an executable, Firefox craps out and doesn't list anything. I haven't had a chance to look at the source code yet to see why. Hacking some text into the descriptionless executables results in a happy Firefox, and a populated list. This is NOT a solution. Firefox needs to be fixed so that it fails more gracefully and moves on to the next list item, instead of crapping out like that.

Second, failure to handle files automatically:

Note that this is NOT a mimetypes issue. It does NOT occur because a website sends the wrong mimetype header. I checked several sites, then made changes in the mimetype configuration of a site of my own to confirm this. Firefox knows what file handler to use, it just doesn't want to do it automagically, preferring instead to make you press Enter. It knows what handler to use based on the ACTUAL file extension and/or mimetype returned by the webserver, but when the link itself was not the file's name (in the case of aliased files, for instance), it waits for the user to confirm the resultant action. For instance, go download a torrent file from mininova.org and you'll see that its "href=" doesn't = its filename. You do receive a torrent file with a proper mimetype header, though. Download a torrent file from thepiratebay.org and the filename you receive is the same filename appearing in the "href=" field, so Firefox is happy to handle it automatically. This Firefox behaviour seems to be by design, and I'm not sure I'd prefer it any other way...

Thanks for tolerating my long-winded dissertation. I hope the off-topic portions weren't too offensive to anyone.

Jon Griffin
hakujin

Post by hakujin »

Thanks for the dissection Jon. It was very beneficial for me. I suppose I’ll give the first fix a go, but than, not that you’ve separated it, that really isn’t may main problem. I can do with a blank actions screen because I never need to use it (plugins all work as they should for my usage). The thing that bothers me is the second. While a agree the “href=” is by design, more secure, I really wish there were a way to toggle that, because I only download from sites I trust (for the most part; that is, what I’m using them for) and I am annoyed by the incessant popup to remember what I’ve already told FF to remember a thousand times. If you inadvertently find a hack it, please let us know.

Nonetheless, I think I’ll give the first a go, because it’s learning something new. This descriptive field that is presumably blank in the offending exes. Where exactly is this field. I have the newsleecher.exe open with exescope, as an example, and I see numerous fields (i.e. Header, Import, Resource etc.) and sub fields (exe header, optional header, section header etc.). Could you tell me specifically what I should be looking for to add data?

Your info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!