MR Tech's Local Install 4.6.4 (4-20-06)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
tanstaafl_bh

Thunderbird Extensions still not sorting...

Post by tanstaafl_bh »

Is this ever gonna get fixed?

No serious criticism intended - I love MrTech Local Install. But as my list of extensions grows, it gets more and more irritating to have to search the list for the one I'm looking for when working with them.

Anyway, thanks for MRTech - its great!

Charles
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Not really sure what feature it is you need fixed? If you mean the Walnu, blah blah theme issues, I just posted a psuedo workaround, besides that contact the theme author.

if that's not what you're griping just let me know.
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
Old Seamaiden

Post by Old Seamaiden »

These are problems I did not notice until now. The extension was only installed yesterday.

MR Tech Local Install 4.1.1

PROBLEM 1 - Extension Manager Button dropdown list
The Extension Manager button dropdown list on the toolbar only shows extensions that were installed BEFORE MR Tech Local Install was installed/upgraded. It does show the correct version of MR Tech Local Install.

Extensions that were installed AFTER MR Tech Local Install 4.1.1. was installed/upgraded do not show up in the dropdown list. This is true on both Firefox and Thunderbird. Please fix this so that all extensions show up again.

PROBLEM 2 - Theme Manager Button dropdown list
In Firefox 1.5.0.1, a similar problem occurs with the Theme Manager Button dropdown list. Only themes that were present BEFORE MR Tech Local Install 4.1.1 was installed/upgraded show up. Themes installed AFTER do not display in the dropdown list. It does show the correct version of MR Tech Local Install.

In Thunderbird 1.5, this problem does not occur. The Themes Manager button dropdown list works correctly, showing all themes installed -- both before and after MR Tech Local Install 4.1.1 was installed/upgraded.
Last edited by Old Seamaiden on February 10th, 2006, 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

seamaiden wrote:MR Tech Local Install 4.1.1

The Extension Manager button dropdown list on the toolbar only shows extensions that were installed BEFORE MR Tech Local Install was installed/upgraded. It does show the correct version of MR Tech Local Install.

Extensions that were installed AFTER MR Tech Local Install 4.1.1. was installed/upgraded do not show up in the dropdown list. This is true on both Firefox and Thunderbird. Please fix this so that all extensions show up again.

In Firefox 1.5.0.1, a similar problem occurs with the Theme Manager Button dropdown list. Only themes that were present BEFORE MR Tech Local Install 4.1.1 was installed/upgraded show up. Themes installed AFTER do not display in the dropdown list.

In Thunderbird 1.5, this problem does not occur. The Themes Manager button dropdown list works correctly, showing all themes installed -- both before and after MR Tech Local Install 4.1.1 was installed/upgraded.

I have never seen either of the issues and both point to a corrupt profile or extension listing, there are ways to rebuild just your extensions, but it might just be easier to create a new profile. I'll post up directions to rebuild just extensions in a little bit.
Old Seamaiden

Post by Old Seamaiden »

Thunderbird: If you recall, I already created a new profile yesterday before installing your extension.

Firefox: I did not create a new profile but can do so.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Important Notes:<li> I am not responsible for any ulcers or headaches that you may get from using these directions.
<li> These instruction are NOT meant for Mozilla/Seamonkey builds, I'll post those later
<li> To save you time make sure you have your Extensions and Themes saved or ready for reinstallation<ol><li> Copy these directions and save them to a text file locally
<li> Close Firefox/Deerpark or whatever you are using
<li> Using MozBackup to create a complete backup of you profile(s) http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/
<li> Find your profile or just reopen Fx and use "Open Profile Folder" feature from my extension
<li> Close Firefox/Deerpark if opened
<li> In your profile directory delete the following files:
extensions.cache
extensions.ini
extensions.rdf
localstore.rdf
<li> Then go into your Chrome directory and delete everything EXCEPT the "userChrome.css" "userContent.css" files.
Note: Some extensions may save their files here like QuickNotes, etc. just keep an eye on them to not delete those.
<li> Delete the whole "extensions" directory, keep in mind extensions like RIP keep there files here, so you may what to back the following directory:
%ProfilePath%extensions\{1dbc4a33-ea62-4330-966c-7bdad3455322}\store
<li> Using about:config set the following pref to true: "nglayout.debug.disable_xul_cache"
<li> Close browser and then reopen
<li> Using about:config set the following pref to false: "nglayout.debug.disable_xul_cache"
<li> Reinstall Local Install
<li> That's it you can start rebuilding your Extension/Them arsenal without the lose of passwords, cookies, plugins, etc.
</ul>
Old Seamaiden

Post by Old Seamaiden »

** Update of Problems Described Previously **

MR Tech Local Install 4.1.1

In Firefox 1.5.0.1, a similar problem occurs with the Theme Manager Button dropdown list. Only themes that were present BEFORE MR Tech Local Install 4.1.1 was installed/upgraded show up. Themes installed AFTER do not display in the dropdown list.

PROBLEM 2 does not exist. My mistake.
- The Theme Manager button dropdown list works correctly in both Firefox and Thunderbird. (You'd think by now I'd have learned how to read and count.)

PROBLEM 1 probably does not exist either. Here's why.
- Upon further review, I believe that the Extension Manager button dropdown list shows ONLY those extensions that have configurable options via the OPTIONS button at the bottom of the Extension Manager window or by right-clicking the extension and choosing OPTIONS.
- As a test, I just added the FoxClocks extension to Firefox, and it shows up in the dropdown list.

Analysis of Installed Firefox Extensions

Y = These extensions DO show up in the dropdown list.

- They have configurable options via the OPTIONS button at the bottom of the Extension Manager window or by right-clicking the extension and choosing OPTIONS.

N = These extensions DO NOT show up in the dropdown list.

- They have no configurable options via the OPTIONS button at the bottom of the Extension Manager window or by right-clicking the extension and choosing OPTIONS.
- Some extensions are not configurable at all. They simply enhance appearance or add functionality [404cache, Digger, toolbarmode, Tippy].
- Some extensions are configurable via other means:
(1) their own menu/submenu items [Console², ImageBot, OpenDownload, PlainOldFavorites, Stealther, Translate Page, Who Is This Person?],
(2) their own toolbar [Google Toolbar, Googlebar Lite, Groowe Search Toolbar, SnagIt], or
(3) their own toolbar button [PayPal Send Money, Print Preview, SmartWhois, Text Size Toolbar].

Enabled Extensions: [53]
N 404cache 0.1.1
N AboutPlug 0.1
Y Answers 1.24
N Console² 0.3.2
Y Cookie Button 0.8.4
Y CustomizeGoogle 0.41
Y deskCut 0.5.0.3
N Digger 1.0
Y Disable Targets For Downloads 1.0.1
Y Download Manager Tweak 0.7.1
N Enhanced Bookmark Search 0.1.4.03
Y Fasterfox 1.0.3
Y Favicon Picker 0.3.1
Y Flashblock 1.5.1
Y FlashGot 0.5.9.99
Y Forecastfox 0.8.5
Y FoxClocks 1.2.70
Y Google Toolbar for Firefox 1.0.20051122
Y Googlebar Lite 3.3
Y Groowe Search Toolbar 1.4.3
Y IE Tab 1.0.7
Y IE View 1.2.7
Y Image Zoom 0.2.3
N ImageBot 2.1.5
Y Mozilla Archive Format 0.6.3
Y MR Tech Local Install 4.1.1
Y NoScript 1.1.3.9
N Nuke Anything Enhanced 0.53
Y Open Source in Tab 1.5
Y OpenBox 0.2.2
N OpenDownload 0.2.3
Y Organize Status Bar 0.3
N Paste Quote 0.3.1
N PayPal Send Money 1.0.1
N PlainOldFavorites 0.5.6.1
Y PopupSound 0.1.4
N Print Preview 0.5.1.3
N SafeCache 0.2
N SearchPluginHacks 0.1.3
N SmartWhois Launcher 1.2
N SnagIt Firefox Extension 1.0.1
N Stealther 0.11
N SubmitToTab 0.3.3
Y Tab Mix Plus 0.3.0.2
N Text size toolbar 0.4.1
Y TimeTracker 1.0.6
N Tippy 0.1
N toolbarmode 0.6.1
N Translate Page 0.1
Y ViewSourceWith 0.0.7.9
Y WellRounded 0.43
N Who Is This Person? 0.9.1
Y WindowsUpdate 1.1.6

Analysis of Installed Thunderbird Extensions

All is well with Thunderbird. The only extensions shown in the Extension Manager Button dropdown list are those with configurable options from the OPTIONS button at the bottom of the Extension Manager window or by right-clicking on the extension and choosing OPTIONS.

Y = These extensions DO show up in the dropdown list.
N = These extensions DO NOT show up in the dropdown list.

N AccountEx 1.2.2
Y Advanced Remove Duplicates 0.5
N Allow Empty Subject 0.2
N Console² 0.3.2
Y FoxClocks 1.2.70
Y MR Tech Local Install 4.1.1
N Text Size Toolbar 0.4.1

SUMMARY
Neither Problem 1 nor 2 exists on my Firefox installation or my Thunderbird installation. Information posted here can still serve as reference for others.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

seamaiden: oh yeah btw, that drop down is for extensions with options. *oops I guess this posting is a little late* ;)
niobe

Post by niobe »

Hi mrtech ... good job on 4.1.1.

Since a new thread has started, just wanted to refresh on the status of
'auto-archive : Automatically save installed extensions and themes'.

Does 4.1.1 contain the enhancement to auto-archive an extension or theme when the version selected for install differs from the version already installed for that extension or theme?
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Download full installer or locale specific installer from main posting. Make sure to uninstaller older full version before installing locale specific installer, just to avoid any headaches.

Special Notes:
<li> Smaller locale specific installer are available on my site: http://www.mrtech.com/extensions/local_install/
<li> Mozilla Suite & Seamonkey users should continue using the full installer not the locale specific version.
<li> Sunbird users MUST use the locale specific installers since UMO currently does not handle min/max extension versioning properly

4.2 Build Released
<li> Added: Revamped & Super Optimized Slim Mode code, folks with tons of extensions/themes should notice some improvement in EM/TM window startup
<li> Added/Fixed: Part 1 of 3 in restoring Auto-Archive on Upgrades: Single Extension "Update Now" upgrades are now properly auto-archived with Fx/Tb 1.5 versions, working on fixing Themes & Multiple updates, etc.
<li> Added: EM/TM Updates Throbber and Update Image overlay for Fx/Tb 1.5 Themes that support the overlay on the extension/theme icon
<li> Added: Hidden pref "local_install.showCustomUpdateThrobber" to disable new EM/TM Updates Throbber (requires close/reopen of window to take affect)
<li> Updated: Small fixes (and custom manual @import below) for better slim mode view and update EM/TM throbber for Thunderbird Littlebird, Nautipolis and Walnut themes
<li> Updated: Small fix for Slim Mode icon display when using RedShift theme
<li> Fixed: Resolved Tab/Sidebar opening timing issues when installing extensions by opening them up before installation begins
<li> Fixed: "Prompt on Theme Change" would not always prompt if set to "true"
<li> Fixed: Yet another missed set of pathing/pref fixes for full Mac OS compatibility
<li> Fixed: Flock minimum version for install needed some tlc
<li> Fixed: Under Mozilla Suite and Seamonkey Local Install options in the Tools menu could not be hidden
<li> Fixed: Hiding/disabling all "Restart" options for Mozilla Suite & Seamonkey, since they're not supported.

<li> Show Rows Instead of Boxes with Littlebird, Nautipolis & Walnut Themes:
Sub-css snippet for EM/TM to help fix Littlebird, Nautipolis & Walnut slim mode height issues, just include the following in your userChrome.css file:
/* Show Rows Instead of Boxes with Littlebird, Nautipolis & Walnut Themes
(MUST be placed ABOVE the @namespace entry) */
@import url("chrome://local_install/skin/nocrappyboxes.css");
niobe

Post by niobe »

mrtech wrote:4.2 Build Released
<li> Added/Fixed: Part 1 of 3 in restoring Auto-Archive on Upgrades: Single Extension "Update Now" upgrades are now properly auto-archived with Fx/Tb 1.5 versions, working on fixing Themes & Multiple updates, etc.

Aha! Can't wait to test parts 2 and 3 of 3 :-)
Leedsfan

A problem and a Suggestion

Post by Leedsfan »

I am at present using LI 4.1.1 on Firefox 1.5.0.1 without any problems however, I also have Portablefirefox 1.5.0.1 on my USB stick with the same extension. Even with previous versions of LI I can't get "Edit My Config" to work on the USB stick. What commandline do you suggest to run an editor with the extension on a USB stick?. Can it be done?. Chromedit has no problem finding my user.js and other files. Does it have its own built in editor?

That is ithe "problem" and my suggestion is :
Can a list of Extension GUID's be incorporated to the Local Install "MY Config" output. At present I am using the batch file posted in forums last year to generate a text file if GUID's. It would be nice if LI had this functionality.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Leedsfan, try tonight's release it might help out with portable.

my config will be getting some new feature at some point I'll make sure to keep guid on the list of things to add.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

just an fyi, this fix in the trunk builds will resolve future "ghost" ****.xpi entries in the EM/TM:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=319022

Unfortunately, this doesn't fix existing one, but there are other bugs already filed to fix things up, enjoy.
Lanik

Post by Lanik »

I seem to have found a small bug not sure if anyone reported this or not. All of the sudden I get the "Get More Extensions" link in my EM. Currently its set to open in a new window and does that fine. I go to options and double check to make sure the check mark is there and it is. I hit apply and the link is gone, close EM and open it back up, back to square one.

Found more info:

After enabling and disabling "Get More..." Link in the options menu, the Tools menu looks like in the above screenshot.