ChatZilla on XULrunner - Windows installer available

Composer, ChatZilla and other Mozilla applications, along with Netscape, Galeon, K-Meleon and other products.
Thumper

ChatZilla on XULrunner - Windows installer available

Post by Thumper »

http://thumper.kicks-ass.org/wordpress/ ... xulrunner/

If the link doesn't work it either means the server's off or I'm putting a new version up.

NSIS-based installer. Adds shortcuts and sets ChatZilla up to be the default handler for irc:// links. Nothing special, but saves a bit of effort. Will tidy up later.

- Chris
Last edited by Thumper on March 17th, 2006, 12:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

ROCK. Now got one which does proper registration, installs the GRE to a central location and is generic enough to get plugged into other installs.

- Chris
Last edited by Thumper on March 17th, 2006, 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Installer now checks for a system XULRunner and downloads one if you haven't got it. Raaa.

- Chris
pljones

Post by pljones »

I got two dialog boxes popped up when it failed to find XULrunner -- the first with a blank version number. It went ahead to do the download, though. Installed and launched okay, too!

Can I just dump my Firefox ChatZilla prefs.js over the XULrunner ChatZilla profile ones?

I need to find out if XULrunner has all the automatic updates bits built in... more reading... (I'm guessing "not yet")
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

pljones wrote:I got two dialog boxes popped up when it failed to find XULrunner -- the first with a blank version number.

I'm a really lazy debugger. Don't worry, it's just failing to read a registry key that it hasn't set yet. Run it again and you get a "1.8" in that box and it skips the runtime install.

Can I just dump my Firefox ChatZilla prefs.js over the XULrunner ChatZilla profile ones?

Yeah, really shouldn't be any incompatibilities. Your plugins will work too.

I need to find out if XULrunner has all the automatic updates bits built in...

Not yet. This is promised for 1.9. Even speccing this is Hard, especially when Firefox has shown what happens when you don't put a lot of effort into figuring out exactly how your app is going to be used.

- Chris
pljones

Post by pljones »

I checked the XULrunner site and that says as of 1.8.1 but... well, I can see it's going to be hard. I had a very quick glance at the mailing list and there does seem to be a long way to go. It needs some kind of administrative interface to be really useful (and that's definitely more Ff3 than Ff2 timeline!).

But this is a really nice proof of concept. Should get linked from the Wiki.

Only one other thing: can you put the Cz and Xr version numbers into the .exe filename if you do a new one? (So I don't have to ;))
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Should get linked from the Wiki.

It is :) XULRunner talk page.

- Chris
DJGM

Post by DJGM »

Errr, slight problem with the download ...

Not Found

The requested URL /chatzilla-setup.exe was not found on this server.

-----------------------------
SeaMonkey is like a Swiss Army knife: Versatile and dependable, with many useful tools.
Internet Explorer is like really, really, very old Swiss cheese: Full of holes, and it stinks!
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Removed, it's obsolete. Use the link in the second post.

- Chris
lemonzest

Post by lemonzest »

Works great here, been waiting for something like this for ages. does the installer get the latest nightly of xulrunner or a fixed version? and how can i install nightly's of chatzilla over this to upgrade it?
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

It's set to 1.8.1 because xulrunner is a swiftly-moving target at the minute. The nsis script is at http://thumper.kicks-ass.org/xulrunner-setup.nsi if you want to download a nightly and compile your own installer. If you unzip nightlies into the %programfiles%\Common Files directory they'll work, although the only real point of contact for supporting that just now is bsmedberg on #xulrunner. The uninstaller will clear anything in the XULRunner folder, so you can unzip nightlies in there and just uninstall / reinstall if things get hairy. You may need to -register-global again for new nightlies, haven't read up on that yet.

- Chris
dave the insane

Post by dave the insane »

every time I use chatzilla because I forget about it and think maybe they added new stuff to it only to find out nope they haven't and go back to using MIRC...meh

is there an option to add servers?
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Tools -> Options -> Add...

xulapp wrapper now drops an uninstaller, so the runtime and apps are now properly separated and it's mostly genericised. Try XULMine as well. Code is basically just in need of polish now.

- Chris
pljones

Post by pljones »

dave the insane wrote:every time I use chatzilla because I forget about it and think maybe they added new stuff to it only to find out nope they haven't and go back to using MIRC...meh

is there an option to add servers?
OT: It's one of those things. Every time I use an irc client other than ChatZilla I go "wuh?!" and close it. ChatZilla just does what I tell it, nothing fancy. And it seems capable of being told to do everything I'd ever want. (I use a chat client rarely, admittedly.)

All my networks and servers are there at start up.

In <your profile>/chatzilla/scripts/init.js, you need something like:

Code: Select all

client.addNetwork("a_network",[
     {name: "a.a_network.net", port: 6667}
    ,{name: "b.a_network.net", port: 6667}
    ,{name: "c.a_network.net", port: 6667}
]);
... one block per network.
dave the insane

Post by dave the insane »

ok how do I do that? do I load it through chat or java....