Session Manager 0.1 to 0.3.9+

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
C@rb0n

Post by C@rb0n »

zeniko wrote:All right. Try <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager.xpi">v0.2.3</a> then. If it still doesn't work, you might want to try a clean profile...

That fixed it. Thanks :banana:
C@rb0n

Post by C@rb0n »

Any possiblity of adding the ability to recall closed tabs and window? [-o< I miss that aspect of Sessionsaver. :cry:
SevenSeven

Post by SevenSeven »

zeniko, could you please add the ability to save scroll positions?
alta88

Post by alta88 »

hi, i was looking for a tabs session + full state manager (TMP may or may not implement state items in the future). specifically, for each named session saving window position/location, scroll position, font/fontsize last set, etc etc. forms data is secondary for me, but clearly important to others. loading a new session would change window layout, for example.

but, Session Manager 0.2.3 conflicts with TMP. i have turned off TMP session manager/crash recovery, restarted, enabled SM, and there are a number of problems. saved sessions don't load, the tabbar has been hijacked (add tabs, close tabs buttons appear despite being off in TMP).

am i doing something wrong? turning off TMP session stuff shouldn't break it elsewhere.
Recall

Post by Recall »

This confilcts horribly with Tabmix Plus.

1:) I end up with duplicate icons on the tabs and also a close tab and new tab even though disabled in TMP options.
2:) The tick boxes dont show up on the options with TMP installed
3:) I have had to make numerous clean profiles in order to find a stable config with this extension.

Anyway, please install TMP and you will see the numerous conflicts.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0
Recall

Post by Recall »

Ahhhh, now it is not remembering my preferences. I tick the box to restore and it does nothing, plus the boxes are unticked on restart.

My config

Generated: Wed Feb 15 2006 14:16:07 GMT+0000 (GMT Standard Time)
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060111 Firefox/1.5.0.1
Build ID: 2006011112

Enabled Extensions: [4]
- MR Tech Local Install 4.2
- Session Manager 0.2.3
- SmoothWheel 0.44.8.20051203
- Tab Mix Plus 0.3.0.3

Installed Themes: [1]
- Firefox (default)

Installed Plugins: (6)
- Java(TM) 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 Update 6
- Microsoft® DRM
- Mozilla Default Plug-in
- QuickTime Plug-in 7.0.4
- Shockwave Flash
- Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

All right: <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager.xpi">v0.2.3.1</a> should fix the TMP problem. Just try not to use TMP's crash recovering facility when Crash Recovery/Session Manager is installed (you've been warned).

@SevenSeven: It should save scroll positions already.

@C@rb0n: I'll look into restoring closed windows. For restoring closed tabs, please use undoclosetab.
SevenSeven

Post by SevenSeven »

zeniko, much thanks! It's working fine so far. I have another feature request: Could you please put in a system that allows saving sessions with custom names automatically? One example could be using the title of the currently selected tab. It would involve variables: one for the title of the currently selected tab, one for the current date and time, etc.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

question: if i choose to load a particular named session, will it remember window size/position that existed when it was created? what about font size?

tks.
C@rb0n

Post by C@rb0n »

zeniko wrote:@C@rb0n: I'll look into restoring closed windows. For restoring closed tabs, please use undoclosetab.

zeniko: thanks so much for looking into this.
logan

Post by logan »

zeniko wrote:@C@rb0n: I'll look into restoring closed windows.

I wouldn't, but that's just me. I like single purpose extensions, less to break...

SevenSeven wrote:I have another feature request: Could you please put in a system that allows saving sessions with custom names automatically? One example could be using the title of the currently selected tab. It would involve variables: one for the title of the currently selected tab, one for the current date and time, etc.

I don't know if other extensions have variable substitution (better code to steal), but something like this would work:

Code: Select all

function doSubstitution(string)
{
  var data = string.split('');
  var text = '';

for(var i = 0; i < data.length; i++)
    if(data[i] == '%' && i + 1 < data.length && i++) {
      switch(data[i]) {
        case 'd':
          text += new Date();
          break;
        case 't':
          text += content.document.title;
          break;
        default:
          text += data[i];
          break;
      }
    } else
      text += data[i];

document.write(text);
}

doSubstitution("test.blah %s %d %t.yay.%%stuff%");
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

C@rb0n wrote:Any possiblity of adding the ability to recall closed tabs and window? [-o< I miss that aspect of Sessionsaver. :cry:
Please no... as logan mentioned already. Please keep this extension inter/cross-session not INTRA-session. Perhaps a seperate extension called undocloseWindow :-) would be better
Recall

Post by Recall »

zeniko wrote:All right: <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager.xpi">v0.2.3.1</a> should fix the TMP problem. Just try not to use TMP's crash recovering facility when Crash Recovery/Session Manager is installed (you've been warned).

@SevenSeven: It should save scroll positions already.

@C@rb0n: I'll look into restoring closed windows. For restoring closed tabs, please use undoclosetab.

Thanks for the quick response! Works ok now, however there is another small problem. If I have say three tabs open and I restart then the tabs will be truncated ( really small ) Now TMP sessionsaver had the same problem and it was fixed. You could possibly aslk CPU for a solution?

Also I just noticed it saves text! I was unaware it did this on initial testing. I do like this extension as its fast and smaller than sessionsaver plus it does not fill up the pref.js which gets huge with SS.

Keep up the good work!

EDIT>>>>>

Ok its another conflict with TMP lol. If I disable TMP then tabs restore with normal size. There is a temp workaround by checking tab width fits tab title in TMP options. However, this should not need to be done, can you fix that bug please?
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

All right: <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager.xpi">Session Manager 0.2.4</a> adds most requested features:

@SevenSeven: you can now set the default name through the hidden pref extensions.sessionmanager.name_format. You can use three special values (%t for the current tab's title, %d for the date and %m for the time) and set a maximum length on them (e.g. %40t cuts the title after 40 characters).

@C@rbon: There is now a new menu "Reopen Closed Windows" which allows to do exactly that. You can specify the length of this list through the hidden pref extensions.sessionmanager.max_closed_undo (default is 10). If you set this value to 0, the menu entry will disappear.

@alta88: Session Manager remembers the sizes of all windows except the currently active one (this guarantees that you'll have at least one window which is reasonably sized). And the text zoom factor is also saved and restored.

@AnonEmoose: Don't worry, this addition is pretty obvious for what data I'm storing. I'll look into minimizing the impact on the rest of the extension. Until then, set extensions.sessionmanager.max_closed_undo to 0. (As for INTER-session: the closed window list persists after the end of a session ;)).

@logan: It remains single purpose, I am just taking advantage of some of its side-effects (that's why there most probably won't be an Undo Close Tab option).

@Recall: I'll have another look at TMP. But I can't promise anything...
Recall

Post by Recall »

Ok zeniko, I am sure you will be able to fix it as TMP had the exact same problem. Please dont go crazy on adding features I like it as it is, small and compact. I dont need re-open closed windows and now its just another menu option I have to hide via about:config.

Of course if you do decide to go crazy on features, maybe a light and a standard version could be released?