Internal error "Could not get the plugin manager"

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
infidel

Internal error "Could not get the plugin manager"

Post by infidel »

Hello, all. I've been using SeaMonkey 1.0 under Linux since its release without trouble, until today.

Every time I try to load a page, just as the page contents start to materialize, the program crashes. Running from a terminal, I get this output at the time of the crash:
<CODE>
INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Could not get the plugin manager.
System error?:: Success
</CODE>
I haven't done anything to the program, in terms of configuration, in several days. No new plugins, no extensions, no themes. I've been using it more-or-less "as packaged" from day one, and this is the first sign of trouble.

Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated; many thanks in advance.
therube

Post by therube »

Looks like it could be Java related.

INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Could not get the plugin manager. - Google Search
http://www.google.com/search?q=INTERNAL ... in+manager

Disable Java, then see if the error persists.
Edit | Preferences | Advanced -> Java
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
herman

Re: Internal error "Could not get the plugin manager&qu

Post by herman »

infidel wrote:Hello, all. I've been using SeaMonkey 1.0 under Linux since its release without trouble, until today.

Every time I try to load a page, just as the page contents start to materialize, the program crashes. Running from a terminal, I get this output at the time of the crash:
<CODE>
INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Could not get the plugin manager.
System error?:: Success
</CODE>
I haven't done anything to the program, in terms of configuration, in several days. No new plugins, no extensions, no themes. I've been using it more-or-less "as packaged" from day one, and this is the first sign of trouble.

Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated; many thanks in advance.

Does Java work for you on other sites? Which version of Java do you use, from SUN or Blackdown? CPU-type, x86 or x86_64? Linux-Version?
Seamonkey from Mozilla.org or from your Linux-Distribution?

Can you tell the URL, so other people can have a look, or is it password protected? Maybe it is also crashing on Windows, who knows.

http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux.html#Java
http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux/jav ... index.html
infidel

Post by infidel »

It was every URL I tried, none of which involved any Java (or, none evident to the user). I've tried several pages known to be HTML-only, some remotely and some locally. It always crashes no later than the second page loaded in either case; usually, it crashes right off the bat.

I'm using Sun's Java (1.4.2), SeaMonkey as downloaded form Mozilla, Mandrake 9.2 on an x86.

Pardon my ignorance, but I see no option to diable Java, only Javascript. They're still not related, correct?

Would it be useful, perhaps, to rename or move plugins one by one in hopes of isolating a culprit?

I'm not usually this unhelpful in these situations, but it's rare that I have a program just stop working in the absence of any significant changes I can recall having made. Again, thanks for the help.
Uncle Spellbinder

Post by Uncle Spellbinder »

I don't know if it's possible or not for an older version of Java, such as yours (1.4.2), to cause a problem like you describe. But Java is currently at 1.5.0_06. You can test your version here and download the update if you desire.

VERIFY YOUR JAVA SOFTWARE INSTALLATION
My Firefox Add-Ons Collection: Firefox Essentials
herman

Post by herman »

infidel wrote:It was every URL I tried, none of which involved any Java (or, none evident to the user). I've tried several pages known to be HTML-only, some remotely and some locally. It always crashes no later than the second page loaded in either case; usually, it crashes right off the bat.

can you post an URL of a reliable crashing site, the more simple the better
infidel wrote:I'm using Sun's Java (1.4.2), SeaMonkey as downloaded form Mozilla, Mandrake 9.2 on an x86.

You can read at blackdown and the other link that java on linux must be compiled with the same version of gcc some system libraries are compiled.
infidel wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but I see no option to disable Java, only Javascript. They're still not related, correct?

Edit->Preferences->Advanced, click on the title line 'Advanced', not on 'scripts&plugins'
infidel wrote:Would it be useful, perhaps, to rename or move plugins one by one in hopes of isolating a culprit?

Renaming would be sufficient. Not all plugins are in the plugins folder. Load about:config, enter 'plugin' into the Filter: line (without the quotes), then change the value of plugin.expose_full_path to TRUE.
You also can disable Java over there, in another preference.
Load about:plugins to see which plugins are installed and recognized, and where they are located. Loading about:plugins also does update the component registry compreg.dat.
Load about:buildconfig to see which version of gcc was used.
Load about:about if you want to see whatelse is available using about:
about:kitchensink wasn't implemented, but suggested in <a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=122411">Bug 122411 Mozilla does not have a kitchen sink</a>. Nice <a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=114919">suggested implementation</a>

herman