LCD Clock v0.2 [Feb-12][FF]

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

Cool, it definitely works.
By the way, I find myself personally preferring Digital Readout Thick over Upright. It looks more like clocks I've actually seen.
However, with this font, the background 8s could probably use some lightening, as it's getting a bit harder to distinguish them from the foreground numbers, just enough where I actually have to stop and think about what it says.
Also, it could use a bit more padding between numbers, as the 1 is almost blending with the number to the right of it, when it's not a 1 as well. It looks a bit ugly, especially considering all the numbers, and not jsut the 1, seem to be touching each other.
User Agent
Extensions
AMD64/2.41GHz RAM/1.0GB ATI/256MB-GDDR3/128-bit/8xAGP Cable6.0M/384kbps
Bloodeye

Post by Bloodeye »

To lighten\darken the background 8s you can change the opacity\color. Not much I can do with how close the numbers are for Digital Readout Thick. They are all in one label, and that's how they would look if typing the numbers in a text file using that font. I may look into breaking the numbers up into individual labels, but that could cause more problems than it's worth. Keep a lookout for that perfect font...;)

Code: Select all

.lcd-fade-label {
  opacity: 0.1 !important;
  color: #00FF00 !important;
}
zoriv

Post by zoriv »

Digital Readout Thick are the two I like and may make the default.

The collon (:) is unvisible.
Bloodeye

Post by Bloodeye »

zoriv wrote:Now in this case when you see the clocks, the LCD font is much more appropriate than 7 Segment. The mistake is most evident in # 7, the situation which is out of any logic.
max1million, did you notice this situation. If you have the same like me, I'm afraid that something is bugging in this nice extension.

I'm not exactly sure what your talking about, but I think you mean that the top numbers don't match up with the bottom numbers. If so you will need to "adjust" the top numbers until they line up. Use this in userChrome.css and play with the "left:" number.

Code: Select all

.lcd-disp-label[small="true"] {
  position: absolute;
  left: 10px;
}
max1million

Post by max1million »

zoriv I' not sure you actually had the 7 segment in either of the clock display pairs cause they both had a top on the 1. The first pair looks like Bloodeye's screenshot, and second pair look like your previous post. With the seven segment it should just be a straight line. However I did not try the clock and font , just thought I would point it out that the basic LCD and LED used in clocks use only 7 segment to produce the number. 1 each top middle and bottom, and 2 on each side. The 1 is generally the 2 on the right, 7 is top and 2 on the right. Most of the LCD fonts use more segement to be able to display letters that look more normal.

Bloodeye While the "Digital Readout" fonts use more segments to make the letters it appears to be sticking to the 7 segment layout for the numbers. I'm glad you found one you like.

Still think the bright colors look more like LED then LCD, but if you like it that's all that matters.
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

Actually, when you get down to it, it doesn't really look like either. LCD, well, my monitor is LCD. There's no 7 segment number limit on my monitor, last I checked... so it doesn't really make a bit of sense to classify a digital-clock-like font as being 'LCD'. LED would be fine if you just considered the numbers, but then the PM dot wouldn't be shaped the way it is, and then there's the stuff to the left as well (which makes it look more like a digital watch, which is not LED, last I checked). However, the faded background of 8s and the PM dot when it's not PM and such definitely look like a LED display.
User Agent
Extensions
Bloodeye

Post by Bloodeye »

LCD, LED...maybe just Digital Clock is a better name. Call it what you will. Nice thing about it is that everything can be changed to your taste thru userChrome.css.

Have to say that I haven't been working on this as I've been looking into porting this clock to Flash. Flash brings more options with sound and text display. The only drawback so far is the shape of the clock is restricted to rectangle, but given time maybe I can find a way for different shapes. I've got an Alpha version of FLASH Clock running that does nothing more than tell time - plus the colon blinks. Looks pretty nice. Will try and put something together so you guys can test.
max1million

Post by max1million »

The basic LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) or LED (Light Emmiting Diode) used just for showing numbers 0-9, commonly used in clocks and watches were and still are in many cases 7 segement. 7 segment only referring to one place of the numbers (8 uses all 7 segements). LCD monitors are in whole different class, with many more (millions?) much smaller pixels. LCD like on watches are backlighted, lit up around the number when pressig a button. LCD also common on calculators often still with 7 segment numbers especially cheap ones. LED watches aren't very common any more you normally had to press a button to light up the numbers even in the daytime (to conserve the battery) but are still common in clocks you plug in the wall, such as those bright glow in the dark red numbers, and the little indicator lights on other electronic equipment. The lighted number of LED (especially with weak battery) can sometimes be hard to see in direct sunlight. The background lit LCD (especially cheap with weak battery) can sometimes be hard to read at night, not so much with the new ones, like them that have the bright blue light background. Earlier and cheaper LCD can have the shadows of the numbers, they are mostly gone now. The shapes of the pm, alarm, chime, day, and etc indicators can be anything especially with modern LCD. LED usually just use a dot, it cheaper. LCD has come a long way from the basic 7 segment number display. Look at a cheap LCD watch or calculator, that's what I think of first when someone says LCD, black 7 segment number on gray background. Guess I'm just old, and write (type) too much. In anycase call it what you like, color it how you like, use the font you like, ah modern tech. Did you know you can get Liquid Crystal windows now (not cheap)? Flip a switch and shut off the window.
Bloodeye

Post by Bloodeye »

v0.2 is ready. Check first page for download.

I've also have an ALPHA version of Flash Clock that can be tested. It's just a proof of concept version. It displays time and the colon blinks. Time keeping is buggy and it's not much to look at. If you click the clock the numbers slide out of the way and your brought to an options screen. Options aren't functional. To get the clock back click an open area. I thought before I put to much time into it, I'd make sure that it displays correctly for people. Tell me what you think

Download: Flash Clock-ALPHA
Duke D

Post by Duke D »

I like flash clock ^_^ its a good little clock that does what its supposed to while maintaining a shocking 7kb, i like it :) since i dont need alarms or sounds or any fancy stuff, just basicly 4 numbers telling me what time it is, something like flashclock ( or something even simpler if u could manage :P ) works great for me ^_^
cub682

Post by cub682 »

Flash Clock-ALPHA crashes my Firefox 1.5.0.1 when I try to view a parts breakdown at this site.
http://www.savillesequip.com/parts.asp

You have to click "Parts look up" then select a model name. It doesn't crash until a actual parts breakdown starts to load.

I like the idea though.
Cato62

Post by Cato62 »

Flash Clock-ALPHA works just fine for me. No problems at all!

Nice extension!
"It is difficult to fight against anger, for a man will buy revenge with his soul." ~ Heraclites, 500 B.C.

The Blood Series: BloodFire, BloodFire 3, BloodThunder, BloodSun, & BloodSong
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

Problems with Flash Clock: (bugs or just inconveniences [besides what you already said])
-Minor issues with dragging from toolbar customize window.
-Major issues with dragging back to toolbar customize window to remove it from toolbar, or else jsut to drag it anywhere one it's already been set, as long as icon only mode is on.
-Non-customizability of clock display (is one of the main perks of LCD Clock, generally).
-Display is not as smooth and pretty-looking as LCD Clock.
Looks about right for a proof-of-concept version. ^_^
User Agent
Extensions
Bloodeye

Post by Bloodeye »

@Duke D - thx for the good words.
@cub682 - I tried that site...no problems for me. Even when parts breakdown loads.
@Cato62 - Good to know...
@XerBlade - I knew about the dragging issues. Maybe some kind of "handle" indicator that people could drag with their mouse is needed. The only way to drag\move it around is on the very ends of the clock. I thought I had added some padding when a user has the Customize Toolbar palette open. Maybe it's just on my current version. I created a font for it based on 7-segment font. Looks good everything matches up perfectly. Still needs work, wouldn't mind finding someone with good Flash skills to help out.
Cato62

Post by Cato62 »

Bloodeye wrote:I've also have an ALPHA version of Flash Clock that can be tested. It's just a proof of concept version. It displays time and the colon blinks. Time keeping is buggy and it's not much to look at. If you click the clock the numbers slide out of the way and your brought to an options screen. Options aren't functional. To get the clock back click an open area. I thought before I put to much time into it, I'd make sure that it displays correctly for people. Tell me what you think

Download: Flash Clock-ALPHA

Any chance that when / if you decide to develop this more that you'll add the day / date box that shows up when hovering over the clock like LCD 2.0 does?

I like both clocks, but can't decide which one works best for me. What a dilemma. :lol:
"It is difficult to fight against anger, for a man will buy revenge with his soul." ~ Heraclites, 500 B.C.

The Blood Series: BloodFire, BloodFire 3, BloodThunder, BloodSun, & BloodSong