New beta release - Nightly Tester Tools 0.8b2

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Mossop

New beta release - Nightly Tester Tools 0.8b2

Post by Mossop »

It's taken me longer than I would have liked to get here but finally Nightly Tester Tools 0.8b2 is ready for you all to take a look over.

Key new features:
  • Tighter Talkback integration. You now no longer need to open talkback at all. Recent incidents are listed directly on the main menu. Older incidents can be viewed in a sidebar, you might be surprised at how many there are on your computer!
  • NSPR log analyser. NTT now has a simple GUI that provides the same functionality as the leak-guage scripts. You are still required to generate the nspr.log file in the same way but once generated you can load it in firefox quickly and easily copy the results to the clipboard.
  • Copy a list of installed extensions to the clipboard.
  • Allows the disabling of the compatibility check that applications run when new versions have been installed and would normally disable extensions that you have already marked compatible.
New in beta 2:
  • Many fixes to provide most of the same features for thunderbird. The talkback sidebar probably won't be coming to thunderbird in the near future though.
  • Finally you can install incompatible extensions, look for the "Install Extension or Theme" option in the menu.

One minor gotcha with this release, the menu items have moved from the help menu to the "Nightly Tester Tools" menu on the tools menu. This is because there are now too many options and the help menu was a bit of a poor place UI wise.
Also I'm planning on actually having some documentation together for the full release of 0.8 but right now you're somewhat on your own.

Install

This is pretty close to being finished now, assuming I come across nothing major in the next week I will be passing this onto some guys to get localisations updated and then released.

Mossop
Last edited by Mossop on March 11th, 2006, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
toscha42

Post by toscha42 »

It works perfect with:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060218 Firefox/1.6a1 ID:2006021823
But I can't get it to work with:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060218 Thunderbird/1.6a1 Mnenhy/0.7.3.10002 ID:2006021823
I always get a red line at the bottom of the screen saying:
toolbarbutton id="nightly-tester-enter"

Regards
Toscha
mahowi

Post by mahowi »

Same problem also with Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20060217 Thunderbird/1.5 (mahowi):

Code: Select all

Error: undefined entity
Source file: chrome://nightly/content/messengerOverlay.xul
Line: 55, Column: 5
Source code:
    <toolbarbutton id="nightly-tester-enter"
Firefox: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9pre) Gecko/2008052316 Firefox/3.0pre (mahowi) ID:2008052316
Thunderbird: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9pre) Gecko/2008052904 Thunderbird/3.0a2pre ID:2008052904
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

Oops, sorry about that I forgot to copy a couple of last minute changes into the Thunderbird parts. I've just put up a fixed version, clear your cache if you don't get a fixed version.

Mossop
mahowi

Post by mahowi »

Thanks for that really quick fix. Works now with TB. :-)

"Analyse Leak Log" doesn't work with TB:

Code: Select all

Error: openUILink is not defined
Source file: chrome://nightly/content/nightly.js
Line: 365
Firefox: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9pre) Gecko/2008052316 Firefox/3.0pre (mahowi) ID:2008052316
Thunderbird: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9pre) Gecko/2008052904 Thunderbird/3.0a2pre ID:2008052904
toscha42

Post by toscha42 »

mossop wrote:Oops, sorry about that I forgot to copy a couple of last minute changes into the Thunderbird parts. I've just put up a fixed version, clear your cache if you don't get a fixed version.
Mossop
Thx, works with TB trunk now also.
Just a small question here. Where in Firefox trunk I've got a menu item (in 'Tools - Nightly Tester Tools') saying 'Talkback Sidbar' I don't have the same item in Thunderbird trunk. Instead I've two separators with no line in between. Is this a 'to be expected' behaviour'?
What also makes me wonder is why do I have 'Insert Build ID into Textbox' in FF whereas in TB I have 'Copy Build ID to clipboard'? In former NTT I had both options in any of the trunks. And sometimes I need this and sometimes I need that one. Any chance to get both back in both trunks?
And I would be grateful if we could get shortcuts for the menu items, for now it's one click more to reach them.

Sorry for a long wishlist, :)
Toscha
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

mahowi wrote:"Analyse Leak Log" doesn't work with TB

Ah thats something I didnt consider. I should be able to fix that but probably in a few days time.
toscha42 wrote:Where in Firefox trunk I've got a menu item (in 'Tools - Nightly Tester Tools') saying 'Talkback Sidbar' I don't have the same item in Thunderbird trunk.

I obviously didn't do enough thunderbird testing, unfortunatly Im mainly a firefox guy but I'll try to get this fixed for the next beta version.

mahowi wrote:What also makes me wonder is why do I have 'Insert Build ID into Textbox' in FF whereas in TB I have 'Copy Build ID to clipboard'?

Both the options are there, but as it stands at the moment they change depending on whether you have a text box focussed or not. This is an effort to reduce the number of menu options and show the most likely choice, but if its a problem it can go back to having both listed.
toscha42

Post by toscha42 »

mossop wrote:
toscha42 wrote:Where in Firefox trunk I've got a menu item (in 'Tools - Nightly Tester Tools') saying 'Talkback Sidbar' I don't have the same item in Thunderbird trunk.

I obviously didn't do enough thunderbird testing, unfortunatly Im mainly a firefox guy but I'll try to get this fixed for the next beta version.
Not to much of an issue for me. Especially as Talkback does not work in TB at all... ;)

mossop wrote:
toscha42 wrote:What also makes me wonder is why do I have 'Insert Build ID into Textbox' in FF whereas in TB I have 'Copy Build ID to clipboard'?

Both the options are there, but as it stands at the moment they change depending on whether you have a text box focussed or not. This is an effort to reduce the number of menu options and show the most likely choice, but if its a problem it can go back to having both listed.
Oh, I see, I just went through the menues quite fast. As sometimes I write here in Mozillazine, where text is entered into text boxes, but sometimes also in the 'classic' usenet, where I need to copy Build IDs into the editor, it would be very helpful to have both options available. But I didn't realize that the behaviour switches from Copy to Insert depending on 'Text box (not) focussed'. Once understood now it's perfect. :)

Thanks for the fast reaction anyway,
Toscha
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

the way you make extensions compatible in this version seems a lot simpler than in previous versions. i notice you blank out extensions.lastAppVersion, but when i do that manually it doesnt work. is there something else that is important to make it work? if its very compact code ill port it over to ntt lite.
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

ColdFusion650 wrote:the way you make extensions compatible in this version seems a lot simpler than in previous versions

The method for making extenstions compatible has not changed at all. I think you're misunderstanding the feature that disables compatibility checks, it probably needs a better description in the UI. If you install a diffferent version of firefox (with a different version number, e.g. 1.6a1 -> 1.5 or vice versa), firefox will do a compatibility check and this check will check AMO for extension compatability and disable those that should be incompatible, regardless of whether the local details suggest that the extension is compatible with this version. This added feature just disables that process.

Mossop
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

ah, sorry, misunderstood.
JanT

Post by JanT »

Hello Mossop,
In the latest version I don't see the extension switch to an other language when the useragent is changed.
I tried German and French (and partly translated Dutch)
An older version do show the other languages.
Greetings, Jan
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

JanT wrote:In the latest version I don't see the extension switch to an other language when the useragent is changed.

I've disabled all the extra locales in the current beta since they haven't been updated yet and so would break things. Once I'm happy that I'm near to releasing 0.8 final I will get as many of the locales updated as I can.

Mossop
JanT

Post by JanT »

mossop wrote:
JanT wrote:In the latest version I don't see the extension switch to an other language when the useragent is changed.

I've disabled all the extra locales in the current beta since they haven't been updated yet and so would break things. Once I'm happy that I'm near to releasing 0.8 final I will get as many of the locales updated as I can.

Mossop

Understand, I will wait, Jan
Peng

Post by Peng »

Hey, cool.

Suggestion: With the extension list, I think it should be (case-insensitively) sorted.

Also, with the inserting vs. copying, I dunno. I think it should have both when a text box is focused, but it does take up more space. And, if menu items are appearing and disappearing instead of just changing, that would be confusing. So maybe it should disable the inserting items when no text boxes are being shown, but not remove them. But that would be taking up another two lines (three if you add another separator) even when they aren't needed...

Edit: Eep! After I upgraded it in my main profile, Firefox crashed when I started it. I just backed up my profile and we'll see what happens if I do it again. Another suggestion, though: Perhaps show dates in the 'Recent Incidents' menu? I'm more likely to remember "the crash on the 17th" than "TB15303314X". But I guess that's what the sidebar is for. (BTW: I just noticed that at least in this trunk build, the Talkback sidebar is not listed in View -> Sidebar.)

Edit: It's okay now. Huh. Cache is still intact. I guess it crashed very early on? I wasn't paying attention to it when it did.

Edit: Hey, the leak log analyzer is cool. :) It would be nice if you could middle-click to scroll in the Details box. I dunno if that's possible, though. What does specifying a log file do? Will it log to that file? So do I need to set NSPR_LOG_MODULES and NSPR_LOG_FILE now?

Edit: It would be nice if in the Complete Log tab, it remembered your 'Display' settings.

Edit: Thank you very much for all your work, of course. :) Nightly Tester Tools is really great, even if I think it could be improved some.

Edit: I don't think the leak logging code is in the mozilla1.8 branch, so it probably shouldn't show the 'Analyse Leak Log' menu item in them.
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
Check out: Adblock Plus | FoxClocks | OpenBook