Setting up Firefox with different Windows XP user accounts

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
aphilosopher

Setting up Firefox with different Windows XP user accounts

Post by aphilosopher »

I just added a new user account on my Windows XP Pro machine, and the Firefox link will not work when logged into that new user account--it crashes Firefox 1.5.0.1 every time. I have searched these forums and elsewhere and cannot really find anything that helps much. Is there something I need to do to be able to have different XP user accounts use the same Firefox install? BTW, I have my profile stored in a non-default location (i.e., not in "Documents and Settings").
eleanor

Post by eleanor »

The new Windows user account needs to have its own Firefox profile, but can use the same installation.
If you happen to have the original profile stored in Shared Documents, move it to another location........
Windows 7 Home SP2
name already taken

Post by name already taken »

right click the shortcut, go to properties, and make sure the target field has nothing after "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"
"It burns like hygiene!"
aphilosopher

Post by aphilosopher »

I set up a new profile using profilemanager, and once that was set up (in its own folder), I logged back into the new user account, changed the shortcut properties to point to this new profile, and continue to be unable to get Firefox to start. I have also tried doing this with only Microsoft Services running, and no other startup programs running, with no success. No matter what I try, I cannot get Firefox to work under the new user account. Any more suggestions? BTW, thanks for the help so far.
eleanor

Post by eleanor »

Which user account did you use when you set up the new profile? It sounds like it was done in the original account since you
said that you "logged back into the new user account".

The profile has to be set up from within the new user account I think.
Windows 7 Home SP2

Post by Guest »

Hi Eleanor - I tried both ways of setting it up, from within my primary user account, and from within the new one, each time deleting the folder and contents completely. Neither worked.
eleanor

Post by eleanor »

Have you set Firefox as the default browser in Add/Remove Programs? (Assuming it's the default browser in the primary account)
All accounts have to use the same default browser. Also UNcheck "Internet Explorer should check if it's the default browser"
in Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Internet Options > Programs tab. Don't know if this makes any difference,
but perhaps it's causing a conflict???

I set up a second user account not too long ago, but can't remember much about it.
Vaguely remember a Wizard popping up and taking care of everything. Did you see a wizard?
Windows 7 Home SP2

Post by Guest »

Both of the suggestions you made needed to be done, but doing them did not make any difference with getting Firefox to start under the new user account. I made the changes under the primary user account, and then went into the new one, and made them there as well. When I tried to set the default browser to Firefox under Add/Remove Programs, I got the same error message as when I try to start up Firefox. The error message is from the Mozilla Quality Feedback Agent. When I try to set up the new profile, I do get a short wizard, which allows me to name it and choose the install path. In going through that, I have tried using both the default path as well as an alternative one, and neither process makes any difference, as far as I can tell. So, it's still not working . Any other ideas?
eleanor

Post by eleanor »

Are you logged in as Administrator in the new account?
Windows 7 Home SP2
aphilosopher

Post by aphilosopher »

Yes.
name already taken

See if a clean install will work for you.
I suppose it is possible you have disabled a service firefox depends on, try it with the default services reunning.
"It burns like hygiene!"
aphilosopher

Post by aphilosopher »

Eleanor: Well, I went ahead and did a clean install before I saw your private message about waiting. After doing the clean install, including installing it in a non-default location, I copied the saved folders back in again, and instead of setting up a new profile, I just copied the files in my default user under "C:\Documents and Settings" to the secondary user account, and am now able to run Firefox under either user account, as they both point to the same place. I suspect this will be fine as the secondary user account is still one that I am personally using, so I wanted all the same settings for Firefox. Obviously, this would not work if it was someone else using the computer. So, I am still interested in a better solution to the problem of having multiple users on this computer. BTW, this solution somehow messed up some other programs' settings, and I have no idea why. They are startup programs, and I am assuming it is because both of my accounts have administrative rights, and these programs are now starting up in the new user, but not in the old one (where I want them to run). The beat goes on!!
eleanor

Post by eleanor »

Very interesting ...... I'll stay tuned for the outcome! :?

Windows 7 Home SP2
name already taken

I read a few months back that firefox 2 would allow profile sharing in multiple accounts, but I'm not sure if this is still planned.
"It burns like hygiene!"
eleanor

Post by eleanor »

I'm curious about something...... (This is pretty far-fetched and highly unlikely) but with your new set-up, are the bookmarks by any chance synchronized
between your two accounts? Try adding a couple of new bookmarks and see if they show up in the other account please. I've been struggling with that, and
can't seem to get it right.
Windows 7 Home SP2