No controls on media player

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
simonCleaver

No controls on media player

Post by simonCleaver »

Hi all,
wonder if someone can help.
Whenever I view a wmv file on a web page using FF I dont get any controls on the player - ie play/pause, forward, etc, etc. Nor do i get any right click options. The movie plays ok.
Any ideas, cheers

Post by Guest »

anyone got any ideas?
Alice

Post by Alice »

Here is a WMP test page from the Windows Media Player MozillaZine Knowledge Base article that uses a WMV file: http://members.aol.com/jrzycrim01/mozil ... st-LS.html

If that page works OK then I'm guessing that the problem has to do with the coding used to embed the Windows Media Player on the specific webpages. The page may be optimized for Internet Explorer, which uses an ActiveX control for WMP on Windows. Without a link to a problem page, it's hard to tell.
Alice Wyman

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the reply.

I went to the test page and have the same problem - no controls.
It says on the test page "press play" but i don't have a play button.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Have you possibly configured another media player to handle embedded .wmv files (mimetype type="video/x-ms-wmv")? For example, from the WMP kb article under "Firefox crashes while trying to play embedded WMV files" it says:
This can be caused by having the VLC Media Player installed, which includes its own browser plug-in which can take precedence over the Windows Media Player plugin. This plug-in conflicts with the WMP plugin, so you need to remove the VLC plugin for embedded WMV files to play properly.

Even though this doesn't exactly match your symptoms, do this to make sure that the Windows Media Player plugin is handling .WMV mimetypes:
Type about:plugins in the Location Bar (address bar). Do you see the entry for "video/x-ms-wmv" in the MIME type listing underneath Windows Media Player? That's what tells Firefox to use the Windows Media Player for .wmv files. Now look through the other plugins in the about:plugins list, Do you see any other plugin set to handle "video/x-ms-wmv"? If you do, you will have to remove that plugin or disable it by renaming the associated plugin .dll file in the Firefox plugins folder, assuming it's there.

Hope that helps.

Edited to make more concise and replaced inserted image with link
Last edited by Alice on February 22nd, 2006, 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Maybe the VLC plugin is installed. That could be a problem.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Wow.... you said it in a nutshell :)

Along those lines: Do you see the file npvlc.dll in your Firefox plugins folder*, for example:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\npvlc.dll

If so, close Firefox and RENAME the file to Xnpvlc.dll and see if that fixes it. This will disable the VLC Plugin.

*PluginDoc entry for VLC

Post by Guest »

Great - thanks Alice that was exactly the problem
Thanks Guest for summarising Alice's great advice ;-)
Alice

Post by Alice »

Thanks for posting back with the outcome. Glad it worked :)
yellow19man

cnn videos not working

Post by yellow19man »

Alice wrote:Here is a WMP test page from the Windows Media Player MozillaZine Knowledge Base article that uses a WMV file: http://members.aol.com/jrzycrim01/mozil ... st-LS.html

If that page works OK then I'm guessing that the problem has to do with the coding used to embed the Windows Media Player on the specific webpages. The page may be optimized for Internet Explorer, which uses an ActiveX control for WMP on Windows. Without a link to a problem page, it's hard to tell.

Well the link above does work and I am able to see the Pink Floyd video. Thing is I cannot see the videos on CNN. Everything was working for me a week ago and I rolled back the system restore and it still does not work. The videos work on my machine at work so I know its the not the site that is messed up. Any help?
Alice

Post by Alice »

Yellow19man,

You could try installing the Mozilla ActiveX plugin, as some sites require it.. The Windows Media Player MozillaZine Knowledge Base article hs more info on that, so does http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 06213#FF_1

If you search these forums on "CNN video" you'll see that lots of people have problems with those videos, for example:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=389957
Video on CNN and SI.Com

If you need more help I think it would be better to start a new topic since this one is about missing WMP controls and is almost 5 months old.