[Ext] Update Notifier 0.1.5.5 - Get Extension/Theme updates

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
tmlong

[Ext] Update Notifier 0.1.5.5 - Get Extension/Theme updates

Post by tmlong »

Update Notifier 0.1.5.5 - Get it now at <a href="https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2098/">addons.mozilla.org</a>

<a href="http://www.longfocus.com/firefox/updatenotifier/">Extension Homepage for the latest info...</a>

Notifies you when updates are available for your extensions and themes. Allows quick access to your extensions and themes and the ability to check both types for any updates. Easily configurable for automatically installing updates when available and checking for updates when Firefox starts.

What's new in 0.1.5.5 released 7/05/2009
- Fixed compatibility with Firefox 3.5.*
- Fixed checking for disabled extensions
- Locales added: mk-MK

I figured I would go ahead and start a nice new thread for this. Hopefully can get some new ideas here on what to add to the extension and fix any issues. I'm already looking to add a restart icon and maybe an option to prompt for automatic restart. Let me know anything else!

<a href="http://www.longfocus.com/firefox/">Please visit my homepage and you may find other extensions that could prove useful =)</a>

If you have any issues, comments, and/or suggestions please feel free to leave a post!

- TL
Last edited by tmlong on July 5th, 2009, 11:31 am, edited 16 times in total.
RenegadeX

Post by RenegadeX »

I installed this yesterday - nice work!

On one of the computers I put it on, I could have sworn that I had manually clicked 'install updates' and that because I had it set to only show when there are updates, it disappeared as it should after I had done so. I did not restart FF immediately, and later on, noticed that the icon had re-appeared, saying that (those same) updates were available.

I didn't take a look at the code, but assume that the icon re-appeared because when it rechecked (after the standard extensions.update.interval) it found a newer version of those extensions than currently installed -- the updates that I'd "installed" were actually only being 'staged' at that time, of course (they 'install' when FF starts up).

If that is what is actually happening (ie: I didn't just imagine it/have a bad memory!) - I wonder if this could be worked around by keeping track of the extensions em-id's that have been 'staged' during the current FF session, so that subsequent checks-for-updates for those extensions before FF is restarted will ignored. As they are 'ignored', if no new updates are found, the icon should remain hidden.
Last edited by RenegadeX on February 22nd, 2006, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lanik

Post by Lanik »

Is there a button that supposed to show up in the toolbar? You can see my config in my sig.
I don't see the button in the toolbar at all, does it show up only when extensions/themes have updates?

Thanks.
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

It should show up a little circular up-arrow icon, with a small drop-marker, directly to the left of the throbber location, in the default toolbar configuration.
It can be moved from this location to somewhere else if the Customize Toolbar window is open, though.
User Agent
Extensions
AMD64/2.41GHz RAM/1.0GB ATI/256MB-GDDR3/128-bit/8xAGP Cable6.0M/384kbps
Lanik

Post by Lanik »

I guess I'll have to wait till I see an update.
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

In the Update Notifier options, there is an option titled "Display icon when no updates are available" which should be checked by default (the about:config pref it controls [longfocus.updatenotifier.icon.always-display] defaults to true). Check and make sure it's checked. When checked, the icon with be grayed, but you can still click it and use its features (like check for updates or open the EM or TM). Checked or unchecked, if it sees that any updates are available, it should show blue if there are extension updates and green if there are theme updates. Not sure what it does if there are updates for both (I have a couple theories...), and I haven't had a chance to test it (I could always create a chance myself, but I'm not in the mood to go out of my way for that).
User Agent
Extensions
AMD64/2.41GHz RAM/1.0GB ATI/256MB-GDDR3/128-bit/8xAGP Cable6.0M/384kbps
Lanik

Post by Lanik »

Thank you I had a senior moment because I disabled that feature.
Cato62

Re: Update Notifier 0.1 - 2/18 - Extension/Theme update noti

Post by Cato62 »

tmlong wrote:Update Notifier 0.1 - Get it now at <a href="https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=2098">addons.mozilla.org</a>

tmlong,

Any chance you'll do a version for Thunderbird? [-o<
"It is difficult to fight against anger, for a man will buy revenge with his soul." ~ Heraclites, 500 B.C.

The Blood Series: BloodFire, BloodFire 3, BloodThunder, BloodSun, & BloodSong
tmlong

Post by tmlong »

Cato62 wrote:Any chance you'll do a version for Thunderbird? [-o<

Yeah, definitely. I'm pretty much done with it and will hopefully have it available tomorrow =)

- TL
Cato62

Post by Cato62 »

tmlong wrote:Yeah, definitely. I'm pretty much done with it and will hopefully have it available tomorrow =)

- TL

That's great news! Thanks for the hard work and the nice extension. Looking forward to the TB version.
"It is difficult to fight against anger, for a man will buy revenge with his soul." ~ Heraclites, 500 B.C.

The Blood Series: BloodFire, BloodFire 3, BloodThunder, BloodSun, & BloodSong
Schrade

Post by Schrade »

If you want to see pics of what the extension does/looks like go view the post here: [Extension] Update Notifier Version 0.1
"Linux is for those who hate Windows, BSD is for those who love Unix." -Some Guy
Try my themes: QuBranch and QuTrunk
Fix Firefox's Resized image scrolling speed: <b>Bug 163975</b>
delfick

how about a progress meter?

Post by delfick »

hi

great extension....

But...

it would be better if there was a progress meter. cause as it is now, i click the "install updates" and i have no idea how much has been downloaded, and installed, etc

that would make this extension really really really (hopefully you get the point) great...
Kitefighter

Post by Kitefighter »

Absolutely great that this extension now also works in Thunderbird! Muchos kudos!

btw.: on the options page you should adapt "Check for updates when Firefox starts" so that the correct application is named for not confusing the Thunderbird users.
tmlong

Re: how about a progress meter?

Post by tmlong »

delfick wrote:it would be better if there was a progress meter. cause as it is now, i click the "install updates" and i have no idea how much has been downloaded, and installed, etc

Thanks for the comment. I will work on getting some sort of other progress added into it. Though until I add that you can easily hover the mouse over the icon and that will tell you what has not been installed yet. Also, when either extensions or themes finish installing the appropriate icon will go away.

kitefighter wrote:btw.: on the options page you should adapt "Check for updates when Firefox starts" so that the correct application is named for not confusing the Thunderbird users.

Oh yeah, I guess that would be nice having the right application in the options =) I will fix that as well as the above item and hopefully have it updated shortly. Thanks.

- TL
anon42

Post by anon42 »

tmlong wrote:Update Notifier 0.1 - Get it now at <a href="https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=2098">addons.mozilla.org</a>

I installed UN (0.1.1) and have one request and one suggestion:

1. The MR Tech Local Install has option to automatically save installed extensions (and themes). Apparently the extension install process done by UN bypasses that archive process. So my request is for UN to "play nice" with LI and not bypsass its auto archiving if that is at all possible.

2. The suggestion I have is that it might be nice to have some kind of timer that triggers the update checking at a user-specified rate. I don't have the UN option set to check when FF is launched. And it din't detect that one of my extensions needed updating until I explicitly asked UN to check. Or was it the case that I just didn't give it enough time and you do have a timer in there?

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060111 Firefox/1.5.0.1 - Build ID: 2006011112