File association issue

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
daihard
Folder@Home

File association issue

Post by daihard »

Hi.

I am having trouble establishing a file association using Firefox 1.0.7. The OS is Fedora Core 4.

The first time I clicked on a link for an WMV file, Firefox correctly asked me which application I wanted to use to play it. The default was set to totem. I changed that to kaffeine and checked the box to "perform the selected action automatically from now on" (or something along the line).

However, Firefox never runs kaffeine automatically when I click on an WMV file link from then on. It shows the same dialog box that asks me the same question, showing totem as the default player.

What am I doing wrong? The File Types window in the Preferences correcly lists "Microsoft WMV video" with "open with kaffeine," but it's all talk and no go - Firefox never does that for me. What gives?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Dai
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

That file association box is misleading - it goes by MIME types rather than extensions. Because Apache ships without entries for common file associations like WMV, Firefox usually ends up treating them as application/octet-stream, and obviously Firefox always asks for application/octet-stream because that's how executables are labelled. Only solution is to complain to individual webmasters and get them to add WMV to their mime.types.

- Chris