Startup and new window any faster with blank homepage?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Blake

Startup and new window any faster with blank homepage?

Post by Blake »

Hi all,

I checked in some stuff to try to speed up Phoenix startup and new window performance when you have about:blank as your homepage. Anyone notice any speedups? You'll have to use the 11/8 nightly.

(Note, however, that as of a few days ago we've been seeing increased startup/new window/page load times on Tinderbox. But we think that's a fluke instead of an actual regression.)
leoz

Re: Startup and new window any faster with blank homepage?

Post by leoz »

Blake wrote:I checked in some stuff to try to speed up Phoenix startup and new window performance when you have about:blank as your homepage. Anyone notice any speedups? You'll have to use the 11/8 nightly.

(Note, however, that as of a few days ago we've been seeing increased startup/new window/page load times on Tinderbox. But we think that's a fluke instead of an actual regression.)

Hi, Blake!

That's a great idea!

It seems like it might be a little faster - but it's hard to tell. It's certainly acceptable performance on my machine.
gomens

Post by gomens »

Blake wrote:Hi all,

I checked in some stuff to try to speed up Phoenix startup and new window performance when you have about:blank as your homepage. Anyone notice any speedups? You'll have to use the 11/8 nightly.

First time it takes some time ( less than 10 seconds) to start wih blank page, but after that it mostly starts immediately on Windows ME. I would say that new window performance is faster, very fast.
spark

Post by spark »

Blake, I see a noticeable improvement in blank page startup time between 20021108 and the 0.4 release (on Win2K) :mrgreen:
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

I use Win98SE on a 450MHz Celeron and I can't really see any difference in startup and new tabs.

However even Mozilla 1.1 open up new blank tabs instantaniously on my mashine, so preformance was never an issue for me in those areas. :)

Guess this is one of those YMMV things.
Know that several people with much faster comps then me complain about Mozilla speed in general when I've never had any problems.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

When you add an attachment, a mailing goes out. And it also appears that they look around for people putting up attachments as well (since I'm sure they get enough mail). Eventually someone will look over the patch and respond with comments.
lar3ry

Post by lar3ry »

Blake wrote:Hi all,

I *HAVE* noticed that versions of browser/base/content/browser.js post revision 1.167 have caused my bookmarks (and personal bookmark toolbar) to disappear. It has gotten to the point where I revert the changes to that one file to that revision before building (platform linux/Redhat 8.0, using the instructions found at http://phoenix.ragweed.net/build including the .mozconfig listed there).

Right now, I get "cvs [update aborted]: connect to cvs-mirror.mozilla.org(207.200.81.214):2401 failed: Connection refused" when I try to build the latest and greatest, so I don't know if the bug STILL exists, but this was true at least until this morning (9-Nov-2002).

The symptom: building with browser.js rev 1.168 caused bookmarks to disappear. The bookmarks file in my profile directory was unaffected (although I copied it out just in case). Reverting that one file caused the bookmarks and personal toolbar to reappear. I did a "cvs diff" on that file, and didn't see anything obvious that would have caused this behavior.
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!" - A. Carlson