Toolbar Enhancements 0.15

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

Feature request time!

My number one feature for this plugin will always be the toolbar statusbar as mentioned earlier, but another feature I'd like to see in this plugin would be the ability to drag items on and off the left and right edges of the tab bar, as if the tab bar was a toolbar with the tabs stuck in the center of it.

That way, I could finally put the close tab button elsewhere without trivial wich annoys me. it would also allow me to place common nav buttons there, instead of having another unnessesary toolbar
clav

Post by clav »

Laurentbon wrote:Implementation-wise, my suggestion would be to have the extension creating a new tab in the 'page info' window.

ah but the cookie button is intended for the ultra-paranoid, who need quicker access to cookie info than that! :)

it also puts it outside of the scope of an extension called Toolbar Enhancements. when i move the cookie button to a seperate extension then adding a Page Info tab as well as the button would make sense.

"Live HTTP headers" uses this method (along with a separate window) and I think it is a good idea to have all the information related to the page at the same place.

I've never found Page Info that useful personally. About the only thing I use it for is the Links panel, which can be useful when working on the Link Toolbar.

As a complement, may be you could keep the menu system you used in toolbarext 0.6 but move it to be an option of the 'tools' drop-down menu..

I don't think that's a good idea, because it means you end up with sub-sub-menus, which are annoying.
clav

Post by clav »

TychoQuad wrote:but another feature I'd like to see in this plugin would be the ability to drag items on and off the left and right edges of the tab bar, as if the tab bar was a toolbar with the tabs stuck in the center of it.

i've been thinking about that, because it's a good way of allowing me to have the new tab button on the tab bar where it belongs, without annoying those who don't want that.

That way, I could finally put the close tab button elsewhere without trivial wich annoys me.

sort of. the existing close tab button would just have to be removed (hidden), and a new one added to the customisation palette exactly as Trivial does
clav

Post by clav »

toolbar on the tab bar:

http://clav.mozdev.org/toolbarext/tabbar-toolbar.png

:)

Not quite ready for use yet, because the two new toolbars don't remember the items you put on them. That shouldn't be too hard to sort out though.

More seriously, the customisation palette is positioned over the tab bar normally, which makes dragging things to the tab bar toolbars difficult. I could make the palette sit below the tab bar, but then the rolldown animation would look strange, because the palette would no longer be attached to anything at the top. Alternatively I could make the palette look like a normal window, i.e. have a title bar so you can drag it around. Would anyone object to that? Or does anyone have a better idea?
Paradox52525

Post by Paradox52525 »

ok, I just wanna say I think adding the ability to put buttons on the tabbar is GREAT. It can effectively eliminate Trivial and in the process add a lot of new space-saving functionality. It also solves the problem of trivial's ugly asterix thing vs. an image that won't change with the current skin by using the ACTUAL new tab button. ^_^ Very nice. Personally I don't really care if the customization window is a bit borked, I've never much liked it anyway. As long as it continues to work I don't care if that animation or positioning get messed up.
shadytrees

Post by shadytrees »

Can you put a link to the Cookie Exceptions window (which used to be Cookie Permissions in older nightlies, I think) in the Cookie feature of the extension? I'm too lazy to click four times to access it. :-)
clav

Post by clav »

hao2lian wrote:Can you put a link to the Cookie Exceptions window (which used to be Cookie Permissions in older nightlies, I think) in the Cookie feature of the extension? I'm too lazy to click four times to access it. :-)

iirc the Cookie Exceptions window code calls functions in the Options window to actually do things. The Cookie Manager certainly does. So adding a link requires making all those functions available. :(
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

clav wrote:sort of. the existing close tab button would just have to be removed (hidden), and a new one added to the customisation palette exactly as Trivial does

I meant a certain feature in Trivial annoys me, not the way it does that particular feature :) That's exactly how I expected it to be done, and I can't wait to use it!

Looks sweet!

More seriously, the customisation palette is positioned over the tab bar normally, which makes dragging things to the tab bar toolbars difficult. I could make the palette sit below the tab bar, but then the rolldown animation would look strange, because the palette would no longer be attached to anything at the top. Alternatively I could make the palette look like a normal window, i.e. have a title bar so you can drag it around. Would anyone object to that?

Both those solutions are fine by me. I never found the roll down palette anything special, and a window would do just fine, as long as it always stayed on top of course. Once this is implimented, looks like i will be able to do away with the navigation toolbar! :)

Or does anyone have a better idea?

What if the entire content area of the browser beccame the palette? That way, chances are the scrollbar wouldn't be there due to the huge amount of buttons avaliable, and it's not like we actually use the content area while customizing the toolbars...
Last edited by TychoQuad on October 2nd, 2003, 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
clav

Post by clav »

0.7: http://downloads.mozdev.org/clav/toolba ... ext0.7.xpi

(usual 30min wait applies)

adds a toolbar to each end of the tab bar. mostly so that you can put the new tab button there. when you enter customisation mode the contents of the tab bar should move in 10px at each end giving you a space to drop buttons onto.

tested on 20030915 build.

haven't done anything about the positioning of the customisation palette yet. and i haven't replaced the close-tab button with one on a toolbar yet (which would allow it to be (re)moved)
James

Post by James »

Hey nice work clav as I can add quite a few buttons on each side. Only thing is I hide the tab bar when I only have just one tab so it hides whatever buttons I had on tab bar lol.

used with new profile on 20030929 Firebird/0.7+
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

Works great! Nav toolbar is nuked :)

On that note though, weren't you going to add a combined refresh/stop button to this plugin? That would sure be handy now that I'm trying to limit the buttons on the tab bar for obvous reasons :)

EDIT: Now for a bug report :(

If I put the url bar on a toolbar at the bottom of the screen and begin to type in a url, the pulldown menu with previous urls appears and covers up the entire bar. It should appear from the top of the url bar in this case, not the bottom.
Hooded One

Post by Hooded One »

The main problem with the toolbar on the tabbar business is that it stretches the tabbar vertically, as the close tab button is (in Qute at least) only 18x14 pixels. My solution when I was using Trivial to get the new tab button on the tabbar was to do a hack job of resizing the new tab image and use userChrome.css to use that as the new tab button. I'll have to figure out a different way to do that since it's now pulling the image from the skin.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
SuSE Linux 9.2, Kernel 2.6.8, KDE 3.3.2
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

Even though buttons are now increasing the size of the tab bar, I'm still saving space over my solution before, becasue I'm down one toolbar :)
clav

Post by clav »

Hooded One wrote:The main problem with the toolbar on the tabbar business is that it stretches the tabbar vertically,

It has absolutely no effect whatsoever on the height of the tab bar for me, using default theme, with
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en; rv:1.5b) Gecko/20030915 Firebird/0.6.1+
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

clav wrote:
Hooded One wrote:The main problem with the toolbar on the tabbar business is that it stretches the tabbar vertically,

It has absolutely no effect whatsoever on the height of the tab bar for me, using default theme, with
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en; rv:1.5b) Gecko/20030915 Firebird/0.6.1+

Comparing...

Yeah, same here. The buttons have not increased the size of the tab bar.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.5b) Gecko/20030911 Firebird/0.6.1+