Firefox stopped working..all of a sudden???

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
AdamM321

Firefox stopped working..all of a sudden???

Post by AdamM321 »

Hi,

I have been using firefox trouble free for months now, today I went to use it and double clicked on the desktop icon, got an hour glass then nothing. Went to the start button on my Dell, it is also listed as a program there and tried double clicking it, same thing. Any chance someone could explain this or advice how to fix it?

Oh, btw, I had used IE browser the day before, could that have anything to do with it? I am pretty sure I did not select that as my default browser, as when I went back to IE, it gave me a window that said it was not selected as default, did I want to choose it.

Thanks,
adam
AdamM321
New Firefox/Thunderbird User

Post by Guest »

Hi,

Recommend to you to leave it altogether. Simply too many problesm. I am very disappointed.

Best regards,
Rolf
Orbite

Post by Orbite »

AdamM321 wrote:Oh, btw, I had used IE browser the day before, could that have anything to do with it?

Hi AdamM321,

IE is not a sin you pay for the next morning. ;) You can use whatever browser you want and Firefox at the same time. The two are not directly linked together or interference with each other.

In cases similar to yours, usually the application failed to shut down completely the last time it was used and the task or process is still "running in the background", even though there are no open application windows. Ending the running process is normally sufficient to unlock Firefox. If it doesn't work, try these other solutions.

Could be also your firewall or antivirus. Did one of the two got updated soon or just before having this problem?
<a href="http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html">How To Ask Questions The Smart Way</a>!
Website viewing, HTML, CSS, Javascript bugs? -> <a href="http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/05/05/why_we_wont_help_you">Help yourself</a>
AdamM321

Post by AdamM321 »

Hi,

I have been very happy with Firefox and highly recommend it to people. It is a huge improvement over what was happening on my computer before I started using it. I'm sorry it hasn't been as helpful for you Rolf.

Thanks orbite...I will look over the links you provided. No haven't made any changes or updates lately. I'll let you know how it goes after I try these suggestions.
AdamM321
New Firefox/Thunderbird User
trolly

Post by trolly »

Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.

Post by Guest »

Hi,

I just tried that. Task manager/processes/terminated the firefox.exe. Actually I was pretty sure that was the problem, when I tried to shut down the computer and I was getting a message that something was running.. xpcom? or something like that. It wasn't a program that was shown as running either. So after I terminated the firefox.exe in the processes, I tried shutting down again and sure enough...it shut down no problem, started it up again, hit the firefox icon and voila!

Thank you very much orbite :-) I miss firefox a lot when it isn't working..