Session Manager 0.1 to 0.3.9+

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

@AnonEmoose: I don't think that this is a Firefox bug. When the XUL cache is disabled, it just takes longer until everything is registered and available. <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager.xpi">Session Manager 0.2.12</a> should fix this problem.

@bhe2g1: I'm still not able to reproduce the problem. Using Session Manager 0.2.12, TMP v0.3.0.3 and Firefox 1.5 ID:2006021803 (a recent branch nightly), I first see all three tab rows (including scrolling buttons) and after a moment just the tabs as I left them after step 4 (without scrolling buttons). Do you use any non-standard theme, other non-standard settings, any other extensions or an exceptionally slow computer or do you get any messages in the JavaScript console right after startup?
alta88

Post by alta88 »

zeniko wrote: And as for your car metaphor: what precisely would be the mirrors and door handles in this case?

a rear view mirror is a usability tool that allows one to have information by simply rotating an eyeball perhaps 15° upwards. without it, one can still drive a car; to gain the same information would require relative contortionist physical effort, break chains of thought, ruin entire conversations..

you could easily design a one-click equivalent to completely operate every SM option (other than new name/rename) if you wanted. instead, your user has to 1)remember rt click is session, middle click is window 2)move cursor farther away because the dialog pops up nowhere near the cursor 3)remember whether a name on the list is session (1 or > windows) or a window since there is no categorization help 4)come up with a naming scheme themselves to distinguish session/window. whew.

i'm not a keyboard driven user, so while keyboard shortcuts are great for that type of usage they won't help my usage. you mentioned shift-click etc stuff to open new or replace, i can't remember that, is what i meant. i like mouseover, info-laden menu list, menu list, click, done.
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

zeniko wrote:@AnonEmoose: I don't think that this is a Firefox bug. When the XUL cache is disabled, it just takes longer until everything is registered and available. <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager.xpi">Session Manager 0.2.12</a> should fix this problem.
Looks like it's fixed, but I had to increase the timeout to 2100 (my machine is slow, I guess. hehehe.....)
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

AnonEmoose wrote:Looks like it's fixed, but I had to increase the timeout to 2100 (my machine is slow, I guess. hehehe.....)

The fix should work independently of your machine's speed (since it should just repeat the timeout until the window is ready). What errors do you get for the default timeout of 100?
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

zeniko wrote:
AnonEmoose wrote:Looks like it's fixed, but I had to increase the timeout to 2100 (my machine is slow, I guess. hehehe.....)

The fix should work independently of your machine's speed (since it should just repeat the timeout until the window is ready). What errors do you get for the default timeout of 100?

---------------------------------
Error: this.docShell has no properties
Source File: chrome://global/content/bindings/browser.xml
Line: 0
---------------------------------------

Perhaps testing for a different object/element (or instanceof) in the window would work too....
bhe2g1

Post by bhe2g1 »

zeniko wrote:@bhe2g1: I'm still not able to reproduce the problem. Using Session Manager 0.2.12, TMP v0.3.0.3 and Firefox 1.5 ID:2006021803 (a recent branch nightly), I first see all three tab rows (including scrolling buttons) and after a moment just the tabs as I left them after step 4 (without scrolling buttons). Do you use any non-standard theme, other non-standard settings, any other extensions or an exceptionally slow computer or do you get any messages in the JavaScript console right after startup?

I use the default theme. As for settings and extensions I don't think it matters because after seeing what I've described with the profile I use regularly I tried with a new profile (only Session Manager and Tab Mix Plus installed) and the result was the same. Before posting the first time I tried it on another computer that runs Windows XP (this one runs Windows 2000), new profile, only those two extensions installed and the result was the same as on this computer. This computer is about 3-5 years old, about 900Mhz with 768MB of RAM. The other computer is 1-2 years old, 512MB of RAM, I don't remember off-hand the Mhz for that one. No errors showing in the javascript console, even installed the Console² extension to see if it would show something and it didn't.

After seeing your post I downloaded the nightly you mentioned and the result was the same with that one.

The only idea that came to mind as to why you can't reproduce and I have on two computers is the internet connection, both computers I've tried this on have a dial-up connection, maybe you've tried with a high speed connection. But even that seems like a stretch to be the cause because if you're loading blank tabs I don't figure that would make a difference.

If I come up with any other ideas for what I see I'll let you know.
bhe2g1

Post by bhe2g1 »

zeniko, I thought I'd add a screenshot of what I've described, perhaps you'd see something in it. The screenshot is of a newly created profile with only Session Manager v0.2.13 and Tab Mix Plus v0.3.0.4 installed. In the screenshot, above the two rows of tabs showing there is another row, all tabs are blank tabs. The session is finished loading, the scroll arrows stayed.

C@rb0n

Post by C@rb0n »

BUG?: If you shutdown Firefox with a window minimized, when Session Manager restores the session, the minimized window can be made visible only by right-clicking it on the taskbar and choosing "Maximize."

To reporduce:
1. Configure Session Manager to "Resume Current Session At Startup..."
2. Have two Firefox windows open, but minimize one of them.
3. On the window that has NOT been minimized, click File --> Exit
4. Start Firefox.
5. Click the taskbar item for the mimized window

Conversely, windows left maximized, when shutting down then starting the browser, remain ginormous when maximize is toggled.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

@bhe2g1: That's precisely what shouldn't happen. I've now reorganized some code which might fix it. Care to give version 0.2.13.1 a try?

@C@rb0n: Thanks for the note. Should be mostly fixed now.
C@rb0n

Post by C@rb0n »

zeniko wrote:@C@rb0n: Thanks for the note. Should be mostly fixed now.

Thanks, zeniko. It all works now. :D
C@rb0n

Post by C@rb0n »

zeniko: How often (time-wise) does SessionManager store form data? It would appear it's very infrequent, as I can type something in a form, shutdown the browser and startup again, only to realize the form data was not saved. It appears Sessionsaver may have done this *almost* instantaneously.

I notice the "Minimum time interval between to automatic state saves (in milliseconds):" preference, which is currently set for 10 seconds. However, I am not sure if tweaking this downwards would cause serious ill effects. Might it be possible to have a separate (more frequent) timer strictly for form data?
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Session Manager stores text data from about three seconds after you started typing until you stop typing - once every 10 seconds (or whatever the interval you specify). Of course it also stores the data at the moment of shutdown. Decreasing that value (even only for text data saving) won't gain you much. But it seems that you're observing here a different issue. Have you tried this with different forms or just with one? Do you get any messages in the JS console? Can you point me to that/those forms where it's not working?
C@rb0n

Post by C@rb0n »

zeniko wrote:...But it seems that you're observing here a different issue. Have you tried this with different forms or just with one? Do you get any messages in the JS console? Can you point me to that/those forms where it's not working?

Thanks for the quick reply. I was filing a Fx bug in Bugzilla. So, from you description, something should have been saved, as I had been typing and breaking for at least a minute. However, right after my last entry ...hey! I just realized that SessionManager is set to not save data from encrypted sites, and Bugzilla is encrypted. Thus, I guess that was my problem. #-o :lol:
Recall

Post by Recall »

All in one gestures is broken with the latest update. The gestures dont show up like normally would ( i have a red line for mine )
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

C@rb0n wrote:zeniko: How often (time-wise) does SessionManager store form data? It would appear it's very infrequent, as I can type something in a form, shutdown the browser and startup again, only to realize the form data was not saved. It appears Sessionsaver may have done this *almost* instantaneously.

I notice the "Minimum time interval between to automatic state saves (in milliseconds):" preference, which is currently set for 10 seconds. However, I am not sure if tweaking this downwards would cause serious ill effects. Might it be possible to have a separate (more frequent) timer strictly for form data?
zeniko wrote:Session Manager stores text data from about three seconds after you started typing until you stop typing - once every 10 seconds (or whatever the interval you specify). Of course it also stores the data at the moment of shutdown. Decreasing that value (even only for text data saving) won't gain you much. But it seems that you're observing here a different issue. Have you tried this with different forms or just with one? Do you get any messages in the JS console? Can you point me to that/those forms where it's not working?

One thing to bear in mind with form data saving is that some sites (such as Yahoo Mail) force a reload which effectively nullifies the data previously entered. You are not without help though, since SessionManager did save the data. What one needs to do to reconstruct the text is fairly straightforward (provided that you ahve "at shutown = backup current session" enabled).

1. open the backup.session or sessionmanager.dat/bak if it has not been overwritten file in a any text editor.

2. highlight the block of text containing your form data (which will look something like this. (i have added split it so the page wraps correctly

Code: Select all

1.%20open%20the%20%5Bi%5Dbackup.session%5B/i%5D%20or
%20sessionmanager.dat/bak%20if%20it%20has%20not%20been%20
overwritten%20file%20in%20a%20any%20text%20editor.%0A%0A2.
%20%20highlight%20the%20block%20of%20text%20containing%20
your%20form%20data%20(which%20will%20look%20something%20like%20this.%0A

3. using the Find/Replace substitute the 'space' encoded character (sometimes it will be a '+' instead of %20 for the 'space'). you can do this for all the characters, obviously not only the space.

This should enable you to reconstruct your form data (obviously you can get it exactly if you replace every type of encoding)

this has saved my ass a few times, hehehehe....