Session Manager 0.1 to 0.3.9+

Talk about add-ons and extension development.

Post by ******** »

i have Flock 0.5.12 installed with the following extensions:

Session Manager
a custom version of Tab Clicking Options with Tabs Open Relative incorporated
Too many Tabs!
undoclosetab

I noticed that Session Manager's reopen closed tab feature doesn't work that well with this combination of extension.
i think it somewhat conflicts with Tabs Open Relative and Too Many Tabs!'s overflow menus feature

so i installed undoclosetab and use that instead, which works perfectly.

maybe you could take a look at undoclosetab's code?
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

You'll have to be much more specific as to how it "doesn't work that well" (what happens, what would you expect to happen, are there any messages in the JS console)...

Post by ******** »

1. i have 5-10 tabs open.
2. i close a tab somewhere in the middle.
3. i reopen the tab either using the menuitem or the tab clicking options shortcut.
4. the tab reopens but in the wrong position or sometimes it will cause one of the other tabs to disappear from the tab bar.

i don't know why this happens.
i know javascript and i've even looked in the code.
i haven't checked the javascript console.

i'll look into it.

Post by ******** »

could you add the following to install.rdf so it will install in Flock:

(btw, that's the browser i'm using when i have the above problem)

Code: Select all

<!-- Flock -->
<em:targetApplication>
  <Description>
    <em:id>{a463f10c-3994-11da-9945-000d60ca027b}</em:id>
    <em:maxVersion>1.0</em:maxVersion>
    <em:minVersion>0.4</em:minVersion>
  </Description>
</em:targetApplication>
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

zenico,
Thanks for implementing my resizing request. It's perfect now.
And the css hack for the menu works too.

Here's a 32x32 and 24x24 darker blue with original white background, and 16x16 darker blue.
This is about as dark a blue as I can get without turning to black.
If they are still too light, you're probably better off with what you have now.

For the closed tabs/windows, I had thought about having something in the middle of the icon like I had it before, to keep it consistant with the session manager icon.
I still haven't figured out what to put there yet, and I need a suggestion for colors.

What I am trying to do is have it be specific to your extension, and not resemble others.

I'll see if I can dig up some "Recycle" arrows and incorporate them in there.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

@desertfox:
I don't really like claiming support for a browser I haven't installed myself... OTOH since Flock is still an early beta, you're on your own anyway... I'll include the app info for Flock in the next version.

As for the Undo Close Tab issue: The tabs are currently always opened to the left of the current tab (unless the last tab is selected). This ensures that you don't have to search the reopened tab (it's about where the currently opened tab was) and that you fall back to the last opened tab when you close again the reopened tab. If you know a better solution, please go ahead... ~ And the disappearing tabs should all have been empty - these are currently reused, although I probably should always open a new tab when reopening. I'll think about it.
Recall

Post by Recall »

zeniko i have found a bug I have tested this 100% and can reproduce everytime even on a clean profile. Basically the restart firefox option breaks post data restoration.

Install Mr Techs Local Install:

1:) Use the restart button from either file menu, a customized toolbar button or extension/theme manager.

2:) Type something in the quick reply here

3:) Hit the restart button

4:) Post data is not restored.

If you dont use restart post data is restored no problem.
Last edited by Recall on March 4th, 2006, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0

Post by ******** »

no, actually the tab that disappears from the tab bar is still actually there, because when i scroll through the tab bar using ctrl+tab, it appears.
well, don't worry about that problem, because i just use undoclosetab anyway.
if you want, i'll look into both the undoclosetab code and the session manager code to see if i can incorporate 'restore the close tab's position' into session manager's code.

does session manager both save the session every 10 seconds (10000 milliseconds) AND save it when you close the browser?
if so, it's awesome. i personally have it set to every 60 seconds.

btw, i just made an extension called superT, which includes undoclosetab.
if anyone's interested, click on the link in my signature.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

@dougeeebear: I like these better. As for the recycle icon: what about just the triangle of the three (green) arrows for the small icon and that icon overlayed over the same background as the other bigger icon for the 24px one? Finally: could you please provide the 32px icon as a separate image? Thanks a lot.

@Recall: That's a bug in Local Install. I just notified mrtech.

@desertfox: The position of the reopened tabs should match better in the next release. As for the saving question: of course it also saves on shutdown (even if the interval hasn't completely elapsed yet).

Post by ******** »

hmm, that's good because sessionsaver seems to use a short about 10 second interval, but (at least when you have crash recovery enabled), it does't seem to save on shutdown if the interval hasn't elapsed...

well, the good thing is, Session Manager is working perfectly as a session manager :)
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

32x32px

Will you need grey (disabled) closed tab icons for when there are no closed tabs?
Last edited by dougeeebear on March 4th, 2006, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by ******** »

when i try to install Session Manager 0.3.0.2 from this thread's first page, it says the file is an invalid install package...
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

Quick question:
Session Manager seems to save the back/forward history, and it is still there even if you clear the history in firefox options.

Is there a way to delete this history from Session Manager saved sessions, or better yet, not save it at all when saving a session (like a css hack maybe)?
Recall

Post by Recall »

dougeeebear wrote:Quick question:
Session Manager seems to save the back/forward history, and it is still there even if you clear the history in firefox options.

Is there a way to delete this history from Session Manager saved sessions, or better yet, not save it at all when saving a session (like a css hack maybe)?

Yes that would be nice to be able to stop history of tabs being stored, rather just the page and any post data ( text typed )

@zeniko - thanks for that, Mrtech is very good at bugfixing so should have a solution in a couple of days or so.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

@desertfox: WFM. Try downloading it and installing it locally.

@dougeeebear: Thanks for the icon. Disabled Undo icons would be great (since the button gets disabled if there's nothing to be undone).

As for the history: once a session is saved, it isn't modified anymore. Of course, you can load a session, then clear the browser's history and then save that session again (resp. you will be able to do so in the next release, since due to a bug currently tab history isn't correctly erased). But why would you want to not store the history in the first place?