Session Manager 0.1 to 0.3.9+

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

Minor request:

Option in the closed tabs/windows list to "Delete all Closed Tabs/Windows".

Post by ******** »

what's new in 0.3.1.1?
C@rb0n

Post by C@rb0n »

dougeeebear wrote:Minor request:

Better wording might be "Clear Closed Tabs/Windows History"

Post by ******** »

C@rb0n wrote:
dougeeebear wrote:Minor request:

Better wording might be "Clear Closed Tabs/Windows History"

I agree.

I like the "Session Manager" icon, dougeeebear.
Maybe, if you have time, could you make me an icon for my extension?
See my signature for the link if you're interested.
If not, that's okay.
I'll improvise something with Illustrator if I ever have time. But it won't be pretty :P
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

@desertfox:
Actually, that's zeniko's icon, I just added some blue to it.
I can do a little editing on existing icons, but I'm not good at creating new ones.

Post by ******** »

ah, i see.
that's okay.
blue is good though :)
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

@alta88: <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager.xpi">Session Manager 0.3.2.1</a> should fix the problem you describe (window position 0 wasn't correctly remembered).

@dougeeebear: You find a "Clear List" button in the Options dialog. If it should go quicker, use the following keyconfig shortcut:

Code: Select all

SessionManager.clearUndoList();

@desertfox: 0.3.1.1 was mainly about remembering the position of the dialogs. 0.3.2 was about the Clear List button and 0.3.2.1 about the error mentioned above. Additionally I'm still refactoring code (which you won't notice unless you start digging yourself).
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

Ok, thanks zenico.

The problem with undo closed windows not overwriting the current window still exists in this build.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

@dougeeebear: I'm not sure I understand your request. How do you get a window into the closed windows list if you never open more than one window? And why would you suddenly want to replace the current window with a closed one? Or are you just confused by the entry you get when replacing a window with another session? That one is in case you accidentally overwrite a window you still needed.

The problem: The preference "Replace Existing Windows" currently only applies when you restore a session. To have the same preference apply when reopening a closed window can be quite unexpected for people who are used to work with several windows - and it's somewhat counter-intuitive to restore a closed window not as such.

One alternative would be to replace the current window only if the reopened window is actually one which was overwritten earlier. But then I'd have to mark these "special" windows as such and try not to confuse the users when suddenly their window is overwritten when the reopen a closed window - and I've got no idea of how to do this sensibly...
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

@zenico:
I have "Replace Existing Windows" checked because I never want more than one window open.
How do you get a window into the closed windows list if you never open more than one window?

With "Replace Existing Windows" checked, when I restore a session, it replaces the contents of the current window, and the contents of the current window is then placed in the closed windows list.
This is as expected.

So every time I open another session, the current window is saved in the list.
For instance, If I open 10 sessions, I have 10 closed window entries.
I can get any one of them back any time I want.
This part is perfect.

Now, if I then restore one of those closed windows, it opens a second firefox window.
So now there are two windows open.
Every time I restore another one of those closed windows another window is opened.

Since these closed windows are actually previous current windows, they should replace the current window again.
One alternative would be to replace the current window only if the reopened window is actually one which was overwritten earlier. But then I'd have to mark these "special" windows as such and try not to confuse the users when suddenly their window is overwritten when the reopen a closed window - and I've got no idea of how to do this sensibly...

I guess I can understand that.
How about another pref to cover that for people like me who don't like multiple windows.
(or tell me what to change in the code if you don't want to change the extension)
Last edited by dougeeebear on March 6th, 2006, 2:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post by ******** »

zenico, the first page still says "download Session Manager 0.3.2"

everything in session manager that i use is working perfectly. :)
but i don't use all the features.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

dougeeebear wrote:How about another pref to cover that for people like me who don't like multiple windows.
(or tell me what to change in the code if you don't want to change the extension)

I'm no fan of prefs at all (since they either require UI or explanation - and even more testing). My compromise to you is thus: in <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager.xpi">version 0.3.2.2</a> you can either press [Ctrl] and [Shift] when clicking on a closed window or you can use the following keyconfig shortcut for restoring the most recent of these entries in the current window (note: the replaced window is again added to the list of recently closed windows):

Code: Select all

SessionManager.undoCloseWindow(0, true);
Recall

Post by Recall »

zeniko, could you not add a pref to hide the tools menu rather than doing through css? Also are there any plans to redesign the options window? I am a huge fan of tabbed options windows. They are easier to navigate and smaller.

For example:

Tab One - General
Tab Two - Advanced
Tab Three - Expert.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0
C@rb0n

Post by C@rb0n »

zeniko: There's a couple of problems I'm hoping you can resolve. First, it takes a long time for tabs to close, with Session Manager. For instance, say you have two windows open, and 14 tabs per window, each tab takes significantly longer to close than it does without Session Manager. Would there be a way to speed this up? I'm using a PIII 933 + 512 MB RAM (no swapping is occuring) + Win XP, SP2. The problem is noticeable both with Fx 1.5.0.1 and the Fx Trunk builds - slightly more so with the Trunk builds.

Also noticeable is the typing lag when Session Manager is saving (every 3 seconds or so). If you could possibly tweak the performance in those two areas, that would be much appreciated. Could it be that there's too many small disk accesses instead of blocks being written (i.e. caching what is to be written or what is read)? I have no clue - just thinking aloud.

Thanks
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

Thanks for that release zeniko.
I now have it working exactly as I wanted it.