MR Tech's Local Install 4.6.4 (4-20-06)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

desertfox wrote:I just approved MTLI 4.2.5 on AMO for you :)

most excellent, thanks.
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
Ovamka

Post by Ovamka »

akahige wrote:@Ovamka:

It looks like you have redundant and possibly conflicting extensions:
• IE Tab + IE View

There are newer versions of:
• Compact Menu
• Local Install
• FoxyTunes

Thank you for bringing these things to my attention, but please refrain from calling my browser config redundant.
I like these little extentions that add colour/brighten up my browser but have very little use. lol.
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

akahige wrote:@Ovamka:

It looks like you have redundant and possibly conflicting extensions:
• IE Tab + IE View

There are newer versions of:
• Compact Menu
• Local Install
• FoxyTunes

IE Tab and IE View do not conflict, unless you set the same site in the site filters on both of them, which still doesn't mess anything up except some usability. They are, however, redundant, as IE Tab does contain IE View's actual functionality, with its "View in External Application" function.
User Agent
Extensions
AMD64/2.41GHz RAM/1.0GB ATI/256MB-GDDR3/128-bit/8xAGP Cable6.0M/384kbps
Will Pittenger

Post by Will Pittenger »

mrtech wrote:you don't need my about extension if you have Local Install installed.

Local Install includes all other MR Tech extensions except the Icon Pack. I figure Icon Pack will be merged into Local Install before long.
Will Pittenger
rtk

Post by rtk »

I've noticed that at least twice, since setting the "my config" toolbar button to open in a tab, that the button stays highlighted/depressed/selected even after I close the tab. I can reset it by opening it again (opening it a second time produces a second tab, would it be possible to have it refocus an existing tab?), but it'll vary between showing the correct state and the inverse seemingly randomly. I noticed it once before for sure, and I'm just about to test if it survives an Fx restart. Can anyone else confirm?

Edit: also wondered if you'd consider adding a pull down menu to the my config toolbar button, filled with the items from the context menu.
rtk
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

mrtech wrote:Updated: Now prefixing "Export/Import" Local Install settings filename with the program name, ie: firefox_li_prefs.txt, thunderbird_li_prefs.txt, etc.

howdy mrtech,

i have a request ... [*grin*] ... in addition to the application prefix, could you/would you add an option to include a date stamp suffix? right now, i'm adding "yyyy-mm-dd" [ex = 2006-03-04] to the file name. my result is this ...

"thunderbird_li_prefs_-_2006-03-04.txt"

this makes it easy to have several backup configs. [*grin*] yes, i do keep backups - especially when checking the results of several changes.

take care,
lee
mand

Post by mand »

I use multiple profiles, so my suggestion is to save "My config" to "extensions" or "profile" folder, instead of "installation" folder. Or maybe add the profile name to "My config" file name..
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy mand,

my "my config" gets saved to my "my documents". [*grin*] i am not sure if that's cuz it's my most recently used folder or what.

even so, it's a nice idea to have an option to include the profile name in the file name. an _option_ to include such info would be nifty.

take care,
lee
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Hi Mel. There's a minor bug in the restarting part which makes my Crash Recovery/Session Manager extensions look unreliable. Please call canQuitApplication() before performing the actual restart, so that extensions may object to the restart and correctly handle it.

See Recall's post for how to reproduce it and this post for a work-around until the bug is fixed.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

zeniko wrote:Hi Mel. There's a minor bug in the restarting part which makes my Crash Recovery/Session Manager extensions look unreliable. Please call canQuitApplication() before performing the actual restart, so that extensions may object to the restart and correctly handle it.

See Recall's post for how to reproduce it and this post for a work-around until the bug is fixed.

ok, thanks, I'll do some testing and see if how things go.
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
akahige

Post by akahige »

Playing with the latest release. Noticed that you fixed the issue of needing multiple button presses to focus and then activate the "updates" button in the extension manager.

Something occurred to me, though... because not all websites are highly responsive (or because downloads/archives can stall), there needs to be some CLEAR indication that something is going on while the update is downloading. Unless it occurs to someone to look at the status bar and see that the archive function is doing something (or not), they might think that they didn't hit the button right, or it didn't take, or any other number of things.

Might there be a way of changing the update button to something that would indicate that happy downloading is going on and all there is to be done is to wait?
Chris000001

Post by Chris000001 »

I have a request. I'm currently using an extension called Options Menu. It adds a menu to the Firefox Tools menu that is exactly the same as the Options menu in MTLI extension window/tab. I was wondering if you could add an option to just place your Options menu into the Firefox Tools menu, so I could uninstall yet another extension. It's faster than always having to open the extensions window/tab first.

Thanks again for a great extension!
Old Seamaiden

Post by Old Seamaiden »

The HideUpdate extension can block/unblock updates for both extensions and themes in both Firefox and Thunderbird.

When you incorporated HideUpdate into MRTLI, you evidently only brought in half its functionality. MRTLI can effectly block/unblock updates for extensions, but not themes. Please fix this so that updates for themes can also be blocked in both Firefox and Thunderbird.

In Thunderbird, I wish to block the Noia 2.0 eXtreme 2.16 update from being detected. For some reason it will not install or uninstall correctly in one of my TB profiles, so I'll need to stick with Noia 2.0 eXtreme 2.14.

(Because the profile is otherwise functional, creating a new profile and starting from scratch would be too much work. It is not a big deal for Firefox, but it is for Thunderbird -- especially for newsgroups. It would make more sense to simply block the update, and I can't do that until MRTLI can block theme updates like HideUpdate could.)

Post by ******** »

mrtech, for the session manager + MTLI restart problem:
i tested the workaround function, and it seems to work fine.

Restart browser without messing up Session Manager:

Code: Select all

var as = Components.interfaces.nsIAppStartup; if (canQuitApplication()) Components.classes["@mozilla.org/toolkit/app-startup;1"]
.getService(as).quit(as.eRestart | as.eAttemptQuit);
KLSiegel

Post by KLSiegel »

Weird thing happening: I cannot for love or money to get v4.2.5 to install to Thunderbird on my desktop (I have it installed in Firefox just fine, and I have it installed on my laptop in both, just fine). T'bird version is 1.5 (20051201).

What happens is I click install, I select the file, it appears to install...I close T'bird, and open it again - the extension isn't there. Very, very weird.