Firefox and the magnet protocol

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
oldirtybrza

Firefox and the magnet protocol

Post by oldirtybrza »

Firefox had the magnet protocol (used by p2p software like Limewire and Azureus) associated with a p2p program called Phex which I deleted anyways because I don't like it... but I can't associate the protocol with another program. I can't find it anywhere in the settings or solutions online.
I checked the about:chrome page and couldn't find anything in there relating to handling protocols.

Any ideas?

Post by Guest »

go to about:config in the browser, put magnet in the filter, and then delete the entries containing magnet. That is all you need to do.

To set other programs to handle magnet links, it is usually sufficient to choose the proper options in their setup programs, or their configuration options, but this hasn't anything to do with firefox.

Post by Guest »

Clear the entries in about:config containing "magnet". Open up your registry editor of choice and browse to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/magnet/shell/open/command. If that key does not exist, create it. In HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, set the default key value to "URL:Magnet Protocol" and create a new, empty string called "URL Protocol" in there too. (If the key already existed, then you shouldn't have to do those two steps I just listed.)

After that, go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/magnet/shell/open/command and set the default value to whatever your program of choice is. Mine is set to ""E:\Program Files\Azureus\Azureus.exe" "%1"". You can set yours to whatever you want.

Enjoy.