Firefox 1.5.0.1 -- can't retain Saved Form information

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Phrawm48

Firefox 1.5.0.1 -- can't retain Saved Form information

Post by Phrawm48 »

Firefox 1.5.0.1 w/ Form History Manger 0.5.6.

Unlike earlier posters, my problem is not that Firefox saves too much form data, my problem is that I can't make Firefox save form data from one session to the next.

I recently upgraded from Firefox 1.0.7 to 1.5.0.1. After the upgrade, all installed extensions and the browser appear to work as expected EXCEPT that the retention of saved form data, which was working exactly as I wanted it to in 1.0.7 w/ Form History Manager, isn't working the same way in 1.5.

I'm normally a competent user (no sniggers please), but am having a very difficult time getting F'fox 1.5 to save Form History data from one session to the next. Here are the settings I currently have:

<ul>
<li>In "Tools > Options > Privacy > Saved Forms", the "Save information I enter in forms…" checkbox is selected. Moreover, Firefox does save form information during a session, it just doesn't retain the information after the browser is closed and restarted.</li>

<li>In "Tools > Options > Privacy > Saved Forms > Settings", in the "Clear Private Data" dialog box the "Clear private data when closing Firefox" checkbox is cleared (unselected).</li>

<li>In "Tools > Options > Privacy > Saved Forms > Settings", in the "Clear Private Data" dialog box the "Saved Form Information" checkbox is cleared (unselected).</li>

<li>In "Tools > Form History Manager > Formfield Blacklist," the "Automatically Apply Blacklist when closing Firefox" checkbox is cleared (unselected).</li>
</ul>

I've tried varying some of these settings without effect: if I close Firefox and restart it, all saved form data disappears.

I'm at wit's end -- any suggestions?

Cheers & thanks,
Riley
Nino Valenti

Post by Nino Valenti »

It's an extension. I was having the same problem but I just removed the Goodle Toolbar (I miss it already) and all saved info I add to forms is saved. I got the tip here:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... aved+forms
Phrawm48

Post by Phrawm48 »

Nino:

Yep -- thanks for the pointer!

It appears to be a bit more subtle than an extension (in my case Tab Mix Plus 0.3.0.5) clearing saved form data.

What it's doing is preventing *new* from data from being *acquired*. That is to say that if I disable Tab Mix Plus, acquire some form data, then close and restart Firefox, then that particular saved data will be retained even if I re-enable Tab Mix Plus and close/restart Firefox. What I will lose by re-enabling Tab Mix Plus is the ability to acquire new form data.

Cheers, thanks! again, and hope this helps another user in the same boat,
Riley
3x10^8

Post by 3x10^8 »

Try this and see if it works w/ google toolbar and other extensions installed. worked wonders for me!

http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/
Sweet!
Morac

Post by Morac »

I've done some extensive research into this and it appears to be triggered by combination of extensions. I'm pretty sure it's a bug in Firefox itself though.

See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=331276