Problem using yahoo in firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ruchir_a_b

Problem using yahoo in firefox

Post by ruchir_a_b »

My firefox crashes often when using yahoo mail. can tell me what can be the problem and solution.

Post by Guest »

The problem is Firefox 1.5 is a bugfest and rather than try to fix it the developers choose to ignore it.(or blame the problem on Yahoo or windows or anyhting but FF).The solution is to use version 1.0.7 or another browser altogether.

Post by Guest »

You can ignore the troll. I and millions of others use the current version and have zero problems. There will always be problems with any piece of software but since the trolls either can't help resolve the issues (by working with the developers to program corrections) or don't want to help (they'd rather just whine and moan) you have to sort the wheat from the chaft.

As far as your problem is concerned, what exactly is happening. When does this occur? I'm using 1.5.1 and have logged onto Yahoo! in the last few days but have never had any issue. I don't use their email so I can't speak to that but otherwise I have no issues with Yahoo! or any site. No crashes, slowdowns or hiccups.

KAS
Sean-Michael

Post by Sean-Michael »

Seems to me that this is a new issue realted with yahoo mail specifically, I also have some trouble with the window freezing and FireFox seems to be downloading some add/ and the progress bar and everything freezes.

The problem just started for me yesterday and Im wondering if yahoo did some updating or made some change because I've had no problem till now....

Yes trolls suck! Hope this gets fixed soon! I'll follow this thread and se if theres any more info I can give on my end, should I list extensions to see if theres something in common.
Sean-Michael

Post by Sean-Michael »

Think I fixed my problem, I had the extension "MediaWrap" and after getting rid of it I have no freezups* I also read that if you have adblock theres a differnt problem that comes up, google for that one and you should get some hits...
MikeChag

RE: Problem using yahoo in firefox

Post by MikeChag »

I have been having the same problem. I've been using the Firefox since version 1 without any problems.

My week-long Diagnosis has revealed the following:

I have the problem only with Firefox version 1.5.0.1. Firefox Version 1.0.7 seems to work fine.

The problem (for me) seems to be with the My Yahoo! Login Page (or Front page). When that page is loaded the firefox process just seems to keep grabbing memory, until it either hangs or crashes.

[I'm using the Windows Task Manager (Process tab) to view process memory. The machine that I'm having this problem on is a Windows 2000 SP4 machine, with 1 Gb memory.]

When the memory usage gets above 90Meg or so, the process seems to peg at 99% CPU usage, and then the process seems to hang, and I have to click the end process button to recover.

I've noticed that if I view the JavaScript console (Tools -> JavaScript Console) that there are numerous errors listed there, mostly dealing with Font and Cursor properties.

Other sites work fine, and the Yahoo Mail site seems to work OK for me, as long as I close the My Yahoo! Front page. When the My Yahoo! Front Page closes the Memory leakage stops.

Now what else I've found:
1) Disabling javascript fixes the problem, but a lot of site require this to access them.
2) All the memory fixes in the Stickey message do not appear to work. Disabling page cache, limiting the memory cache, disabling extensions, and running Firefox in Safemode have no effect.
3) I deleted my profile and re-installed firefox, no change.
4) The My Yahoo! site seems to work fine on another computer running Win2000SP4, running firefox 1.5.0.1.
The only difference in the two machines, is the version of java that is installed on them. The machine that I have the problem with has the following:

java version "1.5.0_06"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_06-b05, mixed mode, sharing)

The one that works has the following:

java version "1.4.0_01"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.0_01-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.0_01-b03, mixed mode)

I have not yet tried removing Java 1.5 and installing 1.4 to see if that fixes the problem, as I have a software application that requires Version 1.5

This might have nothing to do with the problem, I don't know. So, can someone else verify that a machine with this problem is running a newer version of Java? And maybe by installing the older version fixes the problem?

Best Regards,

Michael
firefox_user2

Post by firefox_user2 »

A post by Craigevil FEB. Thurs.23/06 seemed to help the problem I was having with Yahoo freezing up. I don't understand the relevance of the change but it helped.

In the Firefox address bar, type in "about config:" scroll to " Network.DNS.. Disable IPV6 " Toggle this to true.

It may not help you but since I did that the freeze ups have stopped for me.

Good luck.
Fairly new user.

Post by Guest »

Changing Network.DNS.. Disable IPV6 to true had no effect. Maybe this works on WinXP?? I'm running on Windows 2k. I'm sure that the problem has something to do with the version of Java on this machine.
MikeChag

Post by MikeChag »

Sorry, for some reason the forum did not save my username

>Changing Network.DNS.. Disable IPV6 to true had no effect. Maybe this works on WinXP?? I'm >running on Windows 2k. I'm sure that the problem has something to do with the version of Java >on this machine.

Michael

Post by Guest »

You can always turn java off. There is no need for it to be on normally. Javascript is another matter. Unfortunately too many sites require that it be on for their sites to look and operate normally.

KAS
MikeChag

RE: Problem using yahoo in firefox

Post by MikeChag »

Turning off Java does not solve the problem. It is only fixed when I turn off JavaScript.
electricwind

Post by electricwind »

A MediaWrap uninstall did it for me. I wasn't able to even login to Yahoo, EVERYTHING was freezing up. I suspected an Extension, and Media Wrap was it.
MikeChag

Post by MikeChag »

Unfortunately, I do not have the Media Wrap extension installed. I only have Tabbrowser Extensions (2.1.2006022301) and Print It! (0.3.8). This is in addition to the DOM Inspector and Talkback which are part of the Firefox install, I think.
Halvah

Post by Halvah »

You'd hope that with this many people having problems accessing Yahoo mail (given that for each user who writes the support forum there are probably 20 who don't) that the developers would show some concern. When I try to access Yahoo.ca mail, most of the time Firefox freezes and my computer needs a reboot. However, occasionally I can access Yahoo.ca mail without any problems whatsoever--go figure! My fix has been to use IE for Yahoo mail but that's hardly a desirable outcome! Running Win XP SP2.

Halvah
If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.
electricwind

No-Fault culture

Post by electricwind »

Yes, that was a head-scratcher for me, too... It's a distinctive characturistic of open source culture--a kind of random "no-fault" bureaucracy. "The program code was pure when we released it, so anything anyone else does with it is not our concern." In order for open source to really work (especially when it's in a product so widely used). there really should be more quality control on the modules, add-ons and extension handlers. I'm quite sure the Yahoo problem is a code conflict with one or more of those. The Media Wrapper has whatever it is in there, and whatever that is must be in other add-on/extension handler codings. Someone needs to simply take responsibility for the quality control process. He/She would be a true HERO!