Session Manager 0.1 to 0.3.9+

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

@feline_dracoform: The file format changed between version 0.2.x and 0.3.x. However the session should all have been automatically converted (*idea* have you set the option Resume Current Session or are you always loading [ Previous Browsing Session ]? - in fact, I unfortunately might have forgotten to take care of the latter, sorry). Otherwise, you usually have just one backup (plus one for each crash).

@alta88: I hope that mrtech will fix that bug. You could also use e.g. MenuManipulator to modify the oncommand attribute of the menu item (just use the code cited). ~ As for the saving problem, are you sure that you correctly saved A and B as windows? The files are of course always completely rewritten - and opening one session should always produce the same result. The usual question: any errors in the console?

Finally, I have something to test for you all: <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager.xpi">Session Manager 0.3.4.1</a> includes an experimental feature to save and restore WYSIWYG textareas (as e.g. this demo, but also some blogging tools, webmailers, etc. use). Mind to give it a try?
giksos

Post by giksos »

Otherwise please confirm that you don't get any errors or warnings in the JS console

How do I install it? The one at
http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/jsconsole
is For:
Firefox ≤ 0.8, Mozilla ≥ 1.3
giksos

Post by giksos »

sorry, I'm stupid, I saw now that it is already included.
Tahattmeruh

preserve the closed windows/tabs list at shutdown

Post by Tahattmeruh »

preserve the closed windows/tabs list at shutdown

What does this option exactly do?
When I restart windows, SM will save all the closed windows/tabs?
If it does, what's the difference to my freq you denied?
C@rb0n

Post by C@rb0n »

zeniko: 0.3.4.1 is COMPLETELY BUSTED for me.

Now it remembers only the last tab closed, and it cannot restore sessions either after a crash or when loading a session manually. All that happens is that I get a tiny blank Firefox window, in the upper left-hand corner of my screen.

Do you still have 0.3.3.x and 0.3.4 available? Unfortunately, I delete my previous copies. I believe 0.3.4 was the last stable build for me. Also, could you please post two previous versions on the main page (for when a person really needs to downgrade).

Thanks

p.s. I am using a Fx Trunk build; however, everything was stable up until the 0.3.4.1 release.
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

I think I'm just going to stay with 0.3.3 for awhile.
I have it configured to work exactly the way I want it to, and it works flawlessly for me.
I also have the toolbar icons configured as single-action drop-downs with a modified sessionmanager.css.
If anyone is interested, I'll post it here.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

C@rb0n wrote:zeniko: 0.3.4.1 is COMPLETELY BUSTED for me.

WFM with yesterday's trunk build. The usual question: do you get any errors in the JS console? And have you tried a clean profile? Otherwise, help yourself over at the Extensions Mirror.

Anyway, I'll start posting both a stable and a testing version shortly.

Tahattmeruh wrote:preserve the closed windows/tabs list at shutdown

As I understood your question, you wanted those windows you just closed before quitting to be restored. This option just restores the list of closed window (so that you could reopen them after an accidental shutdown). Should this have been your request, much the better.

dougeeebear wrote:I also have the toolbar icons configured as single-action drop-downs with a modified sessionmanager.css.

Try not to modify the files of the extension - this will only make it harder to update. Instead of modifying sessionmanager.css, simply add those lines to your userChrome.css.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

dougeeebear wrote:I think I'm just going to stay with 0.3.3 for awhile.
I have it configured to work exactly the way I want it to, and it works flawlessly for me.
I also have the toolbar icons configured as single-action drop-downs with a modified sessionmanager.css.
If anyone is interested, I'll post it here.

yes, please post the .css. also, would you or anyone have any idea how to make a menu pop up on mouseover? i'm guessing it can't be done just in .css but is there a script way?
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

To change the dual-action toolbar icons to single-action drop-down menus, add this code to your userChrome.css.

Note, there is no 3-D hover/pressed effect, but it does work.

Code: Select all

/* remove the toolbar icons ------ */
#sessionmanager-toolbar .toolbarbutton-menubutton-button,
#sessionmanager-undo .toolbarbutton-menubutton-button {
   display:none !important;
}

/* replace the dropdown arrows with the toolbar icons ------ */
#sessionmanager-toolbar .menubutton-dropmarker-icon,
#sessionmanager-undo .menubutton-dropmarker-icon {
   list-style-image: url("chrome://sessionmanager/skin/toolbar.png");
}

#sessionmanager-toolbar .menubutton-dropmarker-icon {
   -moz-image-region: rect(0px, 24px, 24px, 0px);
}
#sessionmanager-undo .menubutton-dropmarker-icon {
   -moz-image-region: rect(0px, 48px, 24px, 24px);
}
#sessionmanager-undo[disabled="true"] .menubutton-dropmarker-icon {
   -moz-image-region: rect(0px, 72px, 24px, 48px);
}

toolbar[iconsize="small"] #sessionmanager-toolbar .menubutton-dropmarker-icon {
   -moz-image-region: rect(24px, 16px, 40px, 0px);
}
toolbar[iconsize="small"] #sessionmanager-undo .menubutton-dropmarker-icon {
   -moz-image-region: rect(24px, 40px, 40px, 24px);
}
toolbar[iconsize="small"] #sessionmanager-undo[disabled="true"] .menubutton-dropmarker-icon {
   -moz-image-region: rect(24px, 64px, 40px, 48px);
}

#sessionmanager-toolbar .menubutton-dropmarker-icon {
   list-style-image: url("chrome://sessionmanager/skin/dougeeebear.png");
   -moz-image-region: rect(8px, 56px, 32px, 32px);
}
toolbar[iconsize="small"] #sessionmanager-toolbar .menubutton-dropmarker-icon {
   -moz-image-region: rect(16px, 72px, 32px, 56px);
}
alta88

Post by alta88 »

thanks dougeeebear, i'll give it a try. don't need the effects, just the single action - i always save window and not session and, well nevermind i've already ranted about SM ops ease..

any idea how to get :hover --> action=single click ?
cycomad

Post by cycomad »

if anyone is interested in a former version of session manager, just PM me (eng or german) - i collected probably all versions since 0.2.10.

@zeniko:
thanx 4 the good work so far! since i found the workaround for the "restart ff" prob everything works just fine for me. i´m using SM 0.3.3 together with TMP 0.3.0.4, SM for all window and recovery, TMP for all tab stuff.
a minor request from my side: is it possible to sort the saved sessions by date in the dialog window, last one first (TMP session manager does it this way)? by now it´s just simple by name i guess, but since the last session should also be the newest one, i´d really like to have it @pos#1.

will give 0.3.4.1 a try after restart...
C@rb0n

Post by C@rb0n »

zeniko wrote:
C@rb0n wrote:zeniko: 0.3.4.1 is COMPLETELY BUSTED for me.

WFM with yesterday's trunk build. The usual question: do you get any errors in the JS console? And have you tried a clean profile? Otherwise, help yourself over at the Extensions Mirror.

Anyway, I'll start posting both a stable and a testing version shortly.

I have been able to reproduce the bugs on both Firefox 1.5.0.1 and the Trunk (Feb 22 build), using clean profiles and Session Manager 0.3.4.1. Here are the steps to reproduce (Note: I am running WinXP and the Fx installer builds):

<b><u>Preliminary test setup</u></b>
A) Create a new Fx profile
B) Install Session Manager 0.3.4.1

<b><u>Reproducing the "lost tab closing history" bug</u></b>
1. Startup Firefox
2. Open links in 4 additional tabs in the current browser window
3. Close two of the tabs
4. Restore the first tab listed <i>(note the presence of two closed tabs in the list)</i> under Select Tools --> Session Manager --> Closed Tabs:
5. Now attempt to restore the other closed tab. Notice that the list is empty

<b><u>Reproducing the "corrupt post-crash session" bug"</u></b>
1. Startup Firefox
2. Configure Session Manager to "Resume Current Session At Startup" and "Replace Existing Windows"
3. Open links in 4 additional tabs in the current browser window
4. Restart Fx to verify that your tabs were remembered
5. Use Windows Task Manager to kill the "firefox.exe" process (from the "Processes" tab, not the "Applications" tab) - simulated crash.
6. Startup Firefox and choose "[ Current Browsing Session ]" when prompted by Session Manager
7. Now for the corruption test. This requires you to reload the crashed sesssion.
Select Tools --> Session Manager --> 1) [ Crashed Session (2006-________) ], where________ is the listed date and time.
8. Notice that you now get only a title bar with mimimize, maximize and close buttons in the upper left-hand corner of your display. If you close this window before maximizing it and selecting "2) [ Previous Browsing Session ]", then that session also gets overwritten with the window-less title bar.

Thanks

ps. Thanks for the link to the 0.3.3 version. :)
Last edited by C@rb0n on March 9th, 2006, 3:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post by ******** »

dougeeebear wrote:I think I'm just going to stay with 0.3.3 for awhile.

I think i will too.
0.3.3 is working flawlessly for everything I want it to do.
The only time I manually restore sessions is when I have a blank window anyway, so the bug that was marked fixed for 0.3.4 doesn't affect me.
I like the new options window btw. :)
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

cycomad wrote:a minor request from my side: is it possible to sort the saved sessions by date in the dialog window, last one first (TMP session manager does it this way)?

This is currently impossible since no date information is stored. I'm considering it for a future version.

@dougeeebear: Interesting hack.

@C@rb0n: Thanks for the detailed bug reports. Thank to these, I've been able to squash both bugs quite easily.

And for everybody not liking the newest version, I've added the links to versions 0.3.3 and 0.3.4 to the first post.
Cheers.

Post by ******** »

@zeniko:
I'm sure that these new versions are improvements over the old ones, but i can't afford to accidentally have my current session messed up by updating at the moment.
When those bugs are squashed or when I'm done with what I'm working on, I'll jump back on the 'latest version' train, and would gladly continue to use and test the latest versions. :)
Also, I noticed that you now have a feed for updating Session Manager.
Now I can: Find Updates -> Update Now -> new version of Session Manager :)