Dot next to cursor

Talk about the native Mac OS X browser.

Moderator: Camino Developers

Ben_

Dot next to cursor

Post by Ben_ »

Just a couple of odd things I have been wondering about:

Can anyone tell my what the small dot is that appears on the right of the cursor in some text entry fields- it appears in all Mozilla apps I have used on mac and windows from time to time. I mainly notice it when logging in to sites- eg. when entering my name and password into my webmail page.

For that matter what ever happened to the small hidden window that would appear in expose in mozilla apps- Camino seems doesn't seem to have it anymore.
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

The little dot is the indicator that you're in an IME mode; i.e., I see it if I switch to an Arabic keyboard layout. I don't know why it would appear in some textareas and not others unless you are switching keyboard layouts/input methods.

AFAIK, Camino never needed the "hidden window" hack because it was built from the ground up as a native Cocoa app, so it never needed the hack like Firefox and friends did (I think to show menus in the menubar when no browser window was open). At some point I believe they devised a better system than the hack, so the hidden window is now history in Fx, too.
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
smorgan
Camino Developer

Post by smorgan »

I've definitely seen the dot occasionally and am never in IME mode (at least, not unless it's switching to it despite having no IME input options), so there's definitely some kind of bug there.

And yes, the extra window was definitely never in Camino.
Ben_

Post by Ben_ »

I have never changed my input mode either. I'm Australian and can't speak any other languages anyway! Thanks for the info on the hidden window Uncle Asad.
smorgan
Camino Developer

Post by smorgan »

The search feild at http://en.wikipedia.org/ always shows it for me. A quick glance at the HTML and CSS didn't show anything obvious.
Uncle Asad
Camino Developer

Post by Uncle Asad »

How odd. I see it there, too, but don't see anything obviously awry, either. I don't see it at other MediaWiki installs, though. I thought it might be a version thing, but the search box on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Version doesn't cause it. It's there on the Main Page of Meta, but not on http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Sites_using_MediaWiki either. Quelle bizarre!

I do know the IME logic takes some wierd turns in Camino sometimes, and perhaps this is one such case....
Mac OS X 10.3.9 • PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 GHz | Mac OS X 10.5.x • MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 GHz
Snow7's Camino Forum FAQSearch the Forum  Camino. HelpTroubleshoot Camino
Ben_

Post by Ben_ »

I don't think it's specific to Camino, I get the dot on my webmail page in mozilla too on mac and PC.
cflawson
Location: Flying over your house in a red, white, and blue jet

Post by cflawson »

Oh, THAT thing! Yeah, I see that all the time on Wikipedia too. I thought it was some weird artifact.

Dunno anything else constructive to suggest, though...

cl
Snow7

Post by Snow7 »

lol I've been wondering about this for a long time too but dismissed it as a weird artifact like chris said.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en; rv:1.9pre) Gecko/2008061622 Camino/2.0a1pre (like Firefox/3.0pre)
nguyenhm16

Post by nguyenhm16 »

I thought it was dust on my LCD :-D
jedik

Post by jedik »

I saw this another day and then I tried to figure out what's going one. It seems that it always occurs when there are <a href="http://ar.wikipedia.org/wiki/" class='extiw' title="ar:">العربية (Arabic)</a> or <a href="http://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/" class='extiw' title="he:">עברית (Hebrew)</a> in the page (any of the two, not both of them, as one could imagine... :P). I've also tested Greek, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Bulgarian and Ukrainian (other oriental languages that use non-latin alphabet), but they don't make any difference.

It will happen here now in the Search or the Reply text boxes. Why this happens? Well, maybe a dev can answer it now... ;)

Cheers