[Ext] superT 0.7.9 - tab browsing extension for Fx&Flock

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.

What feature do you want most?

Option to select left tab after closing
6%
Compatibility with latest Firefox trunk builds
44%
Support for Firefox's new tab bar scroll buttons
31%
More tab clicking options
19%

Total votes: 16

Post by ******** »

@jj44: hmm, that's weird. well, i'm glad it works now.

everybody, please read the following:
if you have Session Manager installed, uncheck the 'Use superT's built-in undoclosetab function', otherwise, leave it checked. That's all that pref is there for. Thanks. We may now continue with development. :)

Regarding bloat:
Being an extension developer is difficult. I have to work with users who want more features and users who don't want so-called "bloat". Bloat is diffcult to gauge. Many users consider bloat to be a meauer of file size. This is not entirly true. Bloat does not mean large file sizes and lots of features. Bloat is when code becomes inefficient, unnecessary, and slow.
superT != bloat

Regarding features:
I have already completed everything I myself want in superT.
I will continue to consider all feature requests, but please read the Feature List on the first page of this thread before you request a feature.
If you don't know how to use a feature, PM me.
Put feature requests in this thread.

Future features:
<li>An extension icon (vote for your favorite one!)
<li>an update feed
<li>a new hosting location for superT (generously provided by CPU)
<li>fix Known Issues
<li>whatever feature requests I approve :)

btw, superT has existed for only 8 days and I alerady have at least 10 users and 12 versions released. Not bad if I say so myself :D
Last edited by ******** on March 12th, 2006, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
mattcoz

Post by mattcoz »

Weird issue with the prefs window, the tabs get reordered when switching between them.

I didn't like the space added to the left side of the tab bar, so I went in and removed that css code, maybe that should be a preference. Also, the tab close button is showing up all the time which isn't the default behavior.

Post by ******** »

mattcoz wrote:Weird issue with the prefs window, the tabs get reordered when switching between them.

I didn't like the space added to the left side of the tab bar, so I went in and removed that css code, maybe that should be a preference. Also, the tab close button is showing up all the time which isn't the default behavior.

about the prefs window:
really? i've never had that problem, ever. no idea. the code I use for the prefs window doesn't tell it re-order itself...

The space added to the left side of the tab bar is done on purpose, because without that space you can't use the tab clicking options for clicking on the tabbar when you have a lot of tabs open, which renders half of my tab clicking options useless. If you really don't like it, just get rid of it. I simply added a wide transparent left border to the tab bar to make it work.

the tab close button is showing up?
hmm, well, i tried to remove it by setting the closebutton attribute of the tab bar to false but that messed up the Tab Picker button.
I'll write a CSS hack for that if I can.
Last edited by ******** on March 12th, 2006, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by ******** »

New location for superT locations:
just go to this following url for the latest superT versions:
http://garyr.net/supert/
Thanks, CPU! :)

I just released superT 0.3.12.1.
It's 0.3.12 with the rainbow icon.
If you want it, just go to the above location and install 0.3.12.1

*edit*
I just added an update feed for superT, so if you re-download 0.3.12, restart, and then click "find updates", it should find an update for superT, hopefully. :)

*edit 2*
also, i'm changing the plans for superT.
i have no more features planned.
so comment about what features you want to see.
if you previously commented with a feature request, you can comment again with that same request.

*edit 3*
everyone who already installed superT 0.3.12.1, please re-download and install it, because i changed a couple things.

Post by ******** »

I just uploaded superT 0.3.12.1 to addons.mozilla.org
could somebody review it?
*edit* mrtech just approved it, thanks. :)
now if i could get a couple of good ratings and comments, that'd be sweet. :D

btw, don't download the version from there.
download the version from here.
the version i uploaded to addons.mozilla.org doen't have the following:
<li>the update feed, so it won't "auto-update" to new versions
<li>its maxversion is 1.5.0.*, so it won't install in trunk builds
in the future, get all new versions from here too.
Uncle Spellbinder

Post by Uncle Spellbinder »

Excellent work, desertfox. SuperT 0.3.12.1 is working flawlessly on my end.
My Firefox Add-Ons Collection: Firefox Essentials
Recall

Post by Recall »

just gave you a 5 star on addons.mozilla :)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0

Post by ******** »

thanks, guys :)
an average of 3.25 stars looks a lot better than 1.5 stars that it was before.

i'll be taking a break from major development (hopefully, it'll actually happen this time), but please continue to comment in this thread about any features you would like to see or issues that you have.

i will continue to reply to all comments, and do some coding in my free time for feature requests and issues, such as cyberrus's request for a 'focus left tab after closing' feature. (that explains the superT-cyberrus.xpi file in the directory)

if you want any new features, please remember to check to see if it's already included.
For example, undo close tab has been a frequently mentioned request, but it's already in superT.
And the Tab Picker is the button on the right side of the tab bar that brings up a list of all your opened tabs and you can select which one you want. Right-clicking on the list will bring up the tab context menu as if you were right-clicking the tab itself. The tab clicking options also work with the Tab Picker's list of tabs (though in a slightly modified manner).

Post by ******** »

Please read the above comment before reading this one.

I've released superT 0.5a.
It's 0.3.12.1 with an experimental "Save Session" feature.

Note: This is a simple session restore feature that simply sets your current tabs as the homepage.
This is NOT a replacement for Session Manager, TMP, or SessionSaver unless all you want is for your tabs in one window to be restored the next time you start up your browser.
My code only took 20 lines, not the hundreds of lines for Session Manager, TMP, and SessionSaver. But it's also much simpler and doesn't provide the functionality of those session restoring extensions.
No crash recovery, yet.

To save your session, click on the drop-down arrow of the Tab Picker (button on the right side of the tab bar).
Then click "Save session".
What this does is overrides your homepage with the current tabs so the next time you start up the browser, it will load the session that you saved.
Warning: it will override your homepage. if you don't want this to happen, don't use superT 0.5a.

In superT 0.5 final, i'll have it so it won't override your homepage and the process will be automated so you don't have to click "Save Session" to save your session.
mattcoz

Post by mattcoz »

desertfox wrote:the tab close button is showing up?
hmm, well, i tried to remove it by setting the closebutton attribute of the tab bar to false but that messed up the Tab Picker button.
I'll write a CSS hack for that if I can.

That's the thing though, why should a CSS hack be needed? Can't you just let the default behavior work? Oh, and I'm referring here to the default behavior in the branch and trunk builds, didn't mention that before.

Default behavior:
1 tab open: no close button
Few tabs open: close buttons
Many tabs open: no close buttons(to save space)

SuperT behavior:
Always: close buttons

I know you have a hidden feature to get rid of the close buttons on the tabs, not sure if that is related.
beetL1

Post by beetL1 »

Each time I install SuperT 0.3.12.1 it remove the tab button (located just to the left of the first tab). Is there a way to show the tab buton. If so I haven't found it.
Thanks for the help.
bolidew

Post by bolidew »

desertfox wrote: In superT 0.5 final, i'll have it so it won't override your homepage and the process will be automated so you don't have to click "Save Session" to save your session.

I have loved superT up to v0.3.12.1.
But with the session feature planned, it seems superT is on the way to be another TMP?
Please, if you have to add such, make an option to completely disable it, because 1) some users want to use a dedicated, more advanced, session type of extension instead, and 2) some users in no need of such feature just don't like slowdown in tab browsing (e.g. caused by "Save Session"), even slightly.

Thanks!

Post by ******** »

mattcoz wrote:...
Oh, and I'm referring here to the default behavior in the branch and trunk builds, didn't mention that before.
I know you have a hidden feature to get rid of the close buttons on the tabs, not sure if that is related.

@mattcoz: i thought you were talking about the single close button on the right side of the tab bar.

okay, to get rid of the close buttons on each tab, please read the first post of this thread.
(the first post actually is there for a reason.)
i'm working on making this a pref in 0.5 (the next major release)

beetL1 wrote:Each time I install SuperT 0.3.12.1 it remove the tab button (located just to the left of the first tab). Is there a way to show the tab buton. If so I haven't found it.
Thanks for the help.

@beetL1: thanks for reminding me. i'm working on this for 0.5.

bolidew wrote:I have loved superT up to v0.3.12.1.
But with the session feature planned, it seems superT is on the way to be another TMP?
Please, if you have to add such, make an option to completely disable it, because 1) some users want to use a dedicated, more advanced, session type of extension instead, and 2) some users in no need of such feature just don't like slowdown in tab browsing (e.g. caused by "Save Session"), even slightly.

Thanks!

@bolidew: thanks for the feedback.

being an extension developer is difficult.
like i said before, there are people who want more features and people who want less.
i've spent the time and the effort and given my all to create this extension.
if people keep complaining about possible bloat, i'm seriously going to stop development. period.
superT will NEVER and I repeat NEVER be bloated.

and all features can be turned off.
and all code is made as efficient as possible.
and there are no features in superT that slow down browsing except when you click a tab or something, superT runs some code that does the tab clicking options thing and takes a couple milliseconds.
if you want the fastest browsing experience, just get rid of all your extensions.

okay, i'll try to address each of your concerns:
1. 03.12.1 does not include this experimental session saving feature.
2. this simple session saving feature only takes up 20 lines of code. TMP's session saving code take hundreds.
3. it does not slow down browsing at all. ZERO.
4. by clicking "save session", it captures your state at that moment only.
5. it is experimental
6. it is disabled by default. i doesn't do anything until you click "save session".

i will explain how this experimental save session will work right now in superT 0.5a (a is for alpha, that means development build).
(you don't enable or disable the session saving feature right now. you click "save session" when you want to save your session at that moment.)
1. you start up your browser with superT.
2. nothing happens with the session saving feature.
3. you're browsing.
4. still, nothing happens with the session saving feature..
5. you click "save session".
6. superT takes your current tabs (just the urls) as sets it as your homepage.
7. you keep browsing
8. you close your browser.
9. you start up your browser again.
10. the browser loads your homepage, which are the tabs you had open when you clicked "save session".
THE END

now i will explain how this experimental save session will work when it's completed if i ever get down to actually finish it.
(it will not affect your homepage)
1. you start up your browser with superT's session svaing feature enabled.
2. nothing happens with the session saving feature.
3. you're browsing.
4. still, nothing happens with the session saving feature.
5. you close the browser.
6. just before the browser closes, superT takes the urls of your tabs and stores them.
7. you start up your browser again.
8. your tabs from your previous session are loaded.
THE END

i hope i made that clear.
there is no need for concern.
i myself use Session Manager, and will continue to do so even after superT's session saving feature is done, which will only take 20 lines of code.

the experimental 0.5a build is only for advanced users who want to try out new, experimental things. they might not even end up in the finished release.
everybody else, just worry about superT 0.3.12.1.

Thank you.

*edit* my PM boxes are working again. */edit*
Last edited by ******** on March 13th, 2006, 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Recall

Post by Recall »

desertfox it is your extension and your totally entitled to add what you wish. i do however also have reservations about sessionsaving, no matter how small the code is. i dumped tmp because it got too bloated and had a sessionmanager that was just not good enough.

the only time i would want a sessionmanager is if yours became as good as zenikos version. then i could remove that version in favour of one compact extension that does it all.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0

Post by ******** »

Recall, I understand that.

but as I clarify (again) that my sessionsaving feature is only in superT 0.5a.
it's not even done yet.

just worry about 0.3.12.1
like i have said at least ten times, zeniko's Session Manager beats all.
That's why I use it myself.
I don't plan to use my session saving feature.
I simply wrote the code for it as a proof-of-concept that my method should and can work.

cut me some slack, please.
i'm a 16-year-old high school sophoomore whose taking all honors and AP classes and has multiple extracurriculars, does sports,writes music, builds websites, and now develops an extension.
i think the session saving thing is out.
i'm done.
releasing development builds was not a good idea.
i'm removing 0.5a from the server.
0.3.12.1 will be the last version, until a majority of superT users can figure out what you really want.
and then I will work on the code for it when i have time and release it when i'm done.
the only features i will work on are:
1. optional new tab button.
2. make close buttons on each tab a visible pref.
3. focus left tab after closing, maybe.
that's it.

btw, please read the bolded sections in the post above. (i just editted the post.)