RH9 05Oct: XFT/GTK2/DOMi/Venkman. O:AthlonXP + SSE (*java*)

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Yek

RH9 05Oct: XFT/GTK2/DOMi/Venkman. O:AthlonXP + SSE (*java*)

Post by Yek »

http://pryan.org/firebird/yek/FireBird- ... SD.tar.bz2

Note: The java fix patch I'd been applying was checked in last night, works well.

JSD/Venkman note: Some people hack the code to put this in the tools menu, but I decided that now that most of the patches I apply have been checked in to keep the code as 'original' as I can. You can invoke venkman/jsd really easily by making a bookmark for the bookmarks toolbar folder (so you can see it) and giving this "x-jsd:debugger" as the URL and maybe "JSD" as the name or whatever you like. You can also type in x-jsd:debugger right into the URL line to invoke it, or you can use tools/web*/javascript debugger from DOM which is on the main tools menu.

-----

Note: The above build was pulled around 600 GMT 05Oct, so is basically a 05-Oct build, but since i'm in the PDT zone, I'll call it 04Oct. This build really requires a new profile as has been stated in other 04Oct builds here. It just works really well with a new profile and really strangely without one.

-- other builds also with the java patch applied --

NOTE: I added in the patch from the java/gtk2 bug which causes FB to work well now once again with java if it has gtk2 (obviously the linux builds). This is the patch url: http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=219705

Update tabbrowser extensions if you use these newer builds (and you use tabbrowser extensions). The latest Oct-01 is on the tabbrowser site for download.

.mozconfig for my typical AthXP-SSE builds:

Code:

Code: Select all

export MOZ_PHOENIX=1
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig
export GTK_CONFIG=/usr/bin/gtk-config
mk_add_options MOZ_PHOENIX=1
ac_add_options --enable-crypto
ac_add_options --enable-default-toolkit=gtk2
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --disable-mailnews
ac_add_options --disable-composer
ac_add_options --disable-ldap
ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O3 -march=athlon-xp -msse"
ac_add_options --enable-extensions=cookie,xml-rpc,xmlextras,p3p,pref,
transformiix,universalchardet,typeaheadfind,webservices,inspector,venkman
ac_add_options --enable-jsd
Last edited by Yek on October 5th, 2003, 8:10 am, edited 22 times in total.
Yek

Post by Yek »

another update
mariuz

Post by mariuz »

Yek wrote:another update

I think there are some problems with remembering passwords from forms :(
Yek

Post by Yek »

mariuz wrote:
Yek wrote:another update

I think there are some problems with remembering passwords from forms :(

I don't have yesterday's build around anymore, but on today's, I tried a few online stores that use passwords, first removing them using options, and then seeing if they were remembered and it went through the whole password dialog. It worked ok for me. Can you give me a sample site to try? Also, the Oct-3 build I made might (slim chance) be somehow different.
mozzmike

Post by mozzmike »

hey Yek,

Your Sept. 26th build works great for me, and I've been using it since you put it out. I'd like to upgrade to one of your October builds, but they fail to work for me. Whenever I run them, (./MozillaFirebird &), they are assigned a process number, but nothing comes up. If I run it with a "-profilemanager" option, i get:

/opt/newFirebird/MozillaFirebird/run-mozilla.sh: line 454: 2672 Segmentation fault "$prog" ${1+"$@"}

Any idea what might be causing the problem? Does the "javafix" you include make it not run on machines with no Java installed (like mine)? Also I'm running Mandrake 9.1, but your builds have worked great on my machine nonetheless.

Thanks,
Mike
Yek

Post by Yek »

mozzmike wrote:hey Yek,

Your Sept. 29th build works great for me, and I've been using it since you put it out. I'd like to upgrade to one of your October builds, but they fail to work for me. Whenever I run them, (./MozillaFirebird &), they are assigned a process number, but nothing comes up. If I run it with a "-profilemanager" option, i get:

/opt/newFirebird/MozillaFirebird/run-mozilla.sh: line 454: 2672 Segmentation fault "$prog" ${1+"$@"}

Any idea what might be causing the problem? Does the "javafix" you include make it not run on machines with no Java installed (like mine)? Also I'm running Mandrake 9.1, but your builds have worked great on my machine nonetheless.

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks. Sorry to hear the newer ones aren't working for you. Today's cvs is somehow borked, it builds, but has numerous bugs. Anyway: I don't know why my pre-30th builds would work and Oct builds not, but that's only because they work for me so I wasn't aware of that until you mentioned it.

What platform are you on, version of glibc, distro, processor, etc? Oops -- I just reread your reply and see you have mandrake 9.1 which usually is pretty compatible. Have you got the gtk2 theme bluecurve available somewhere? Don't ask me why but between the 28th and 30th, someone changed CVS to use the gtk2 preferences / themes, etc, and I suspect that's screwed some of us up. It would only happen with a gtk2 build. I don't even use gnome, but I've got the themes and gconfd-2 installed so gtk2 will work. Can you also check your log for any other messages? Thanks for the info.

Oh yeah: The javafix is from that bug I mentioned, and has already been reviewed and ok'd. Of course, that doesn't mean it won't cause a problem of some sort, and my other question is what version of java do you have and are you trying it first in a clean directory with a new profile? That might isolate this problem a bit more. I could crank out a version without the javafix, but I think that code won't execute at all if you don't have the *java* plugin in the directory and don't have a java-based homepage. Maybe try the clean install and let me know how that works. (assuming you already didnt' try that)
Yek

Post by Yek »

updated build