Charter email

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
LAlady

Charter email

Post by LAlady »

My email is not coming through from Charter Cable Service to Thunderbird. Is Thunderbird having problems?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Pretty difficult for us to tell from what you have given us to work with.

Which version of Thunderbird? Check Help->About for the version number
What operating system?
Do you have any extensions installed?
Do you use a theme other than the default?
What kind of mail - POP, IMAP?
Is your mail service from an ISP, corporate e-mail system or Web-based?
Are you using an antivirus and/or a firewall program? Which ones?
Can you describe the problem you are experiencing in detail, specifically the text of any error message?
Without revealing your full email address, what are your server settings under Tools->Account Settings->Server settings? Please include your server name.

Post by Guest »

Version 1.5

Windows XP

No extensions

No theme but default

POP

ISP

Norton Internet Security virus protection and firewall

I can retrieve my email directly from Charter, but it does not go through to my Thunderbird email account. Occasionally I suddenly get a big batch of emails that come through on Thunderbird.

pop.charter

SMTP

I don't know if I've got all of this right. I am not a techie.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Anonymous wrote:Norton Internet Security virus protection and firewall

I can retrieve my email directly from Charter, but it does not go through to my Thunderbird email account. Occasionally I suddenly get a big batch of emails that come through on Thunderbird.

pop.charter

SMTP

LAlady, you may not have the correct values entered for the server names.

Under Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Name you should have entered "pop.charter.net" (without the quotation marks.)

Under Tools->Account Settings->Outgoing Server (SMTP) you should click on the Edit button and enter the following as the server name "smtp.charter.net" (again, without the quotation marks).

You are running Windows XP. Is that Service Pack 1 or 2? If 2, are you using Windows built in Firewall? (I see that you are using Norton but some folks try to run two software firewalls. That's a bad idea.)

Finally, you're using Norton. Unfortunately we frequently see problems with Norton in regard to email clients, like Thunderbird, trying to access the internet. You may have to try shutting down Norton and disabling it's start on boot up option, then rebooting the PC and testing Thunderbird.

Post by Guest »

Ok, I'll try those things. I really believe that the problem is with Charter. They are the worst. But they suggested that I try Thunderbird help. Sometimes just waiting for Charter to get their ducks in a row is the best solution. Thank you.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome. And good luck.