Session Manager 0.1 to 0.3.9+

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

zeniko wrote:Why so?

Neither. It's the style (ornery) and substance (capricious and inconsistent) of your NOs. Yeah yeah, 1)it's free don't use it 2)it's myway or the hiway, I know. Even crappy extension writers can use that and surely be right.

2 cases in point, no need to waste both our time on dissecting all your anwers:

- 1px icon shift. That's a BUG. You whined and then fixed it. Sheesh. Man, I'd be grateful if I had people doing Q/A for me who were so meticulous.

- Context menu expansion - well I'd like to see something that supports 'against most HGIs'. And even so, you're inconsistent: you refuse to do it for anything else, yet use exactly that method for Reopen Closed... Capricious and inconsistent.

zeniko wrote:- then you're probably in the wrong thread here... ;)

I appreciate your concern, but this you don't get to decide, public fora are the only recourse we beggars have.

:D :roll:
Peng

Post by Peng »

alta88 wrote:- 1px icon shift. That's a BUG. You whined and then fixed it. Sheesh. Man, I'd be grateful if I had people doing Q/A for me who were so meticulous.

In defense of my sanity, I thought it was 2px. But thanks for the compliment. ;)
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
Check out: Adblock Plus | FoxClocks | OpenBook
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

alta88 wrote:Neither. It's the style (ornery) and substance (capricious and inconsistent) of your NOs.

Sorry you see it that way.

alta88 wrote:- 1px icon shift. That's a BUG. You whined and then fixed it. Sheesh. Man, I'd be grateful if I had people doing Q/A for me who were so meticulous.

That's not a bug, that's a nit (such as a typo). And what you call "meticulous", I could just as well call "pedantic" (no offense, I really appreciate all feedback :!: ).

alta88 wrote:- Context menu expansion - well I'd like to see something that supports 'against most HGIs'.

I've taken notice, thanks. I've looked into it, I've thought about it, and I've decided against it.

alta88 wrote:And even so, you're inconsistent: you refuse to do it for anything else, yet use exactly that method for Reopen Closed... Capricious and inconsistent.

I suppose you mean the fact that modifiers work for mouse clicks. That's not the same case. Modifiers are used in other places - you could even argue for them to be standard for Firefox. People have a fair chance of getting used to the fact that Ctrl+clicking is something different than clicking. Now, this surely is also functionality not that readily available to keyboard users - but IMO it's only advanced functionality and that functionality could be achieved mostly through keyconfig shortcuts. If you do have an alternative proposal for how to better implement this in a discoverable way, I'm all for it. Until then, please note that I consider these two cases different.

alta88 wrote:
zeniko wrote:- then you're probably in the wrong thread here... ;)

I appreciate your concern, but this you don't get to decide, public fora are the only recourse we beggars have.

True, but this is still my thread, and I appreciate that a certain etiquette is respected (part of it being not to call the one who does all the work for free a "whiner" and to accept design decisions, unless you've got a new point you haven't made yet; otherwise you might just drive me away - to the disadvantage of all other users).
Peng

Post by Peng »

zeniko wrote:That's not a bug, that's a nit (such as a typo). And what you call "meticulous", I could just as well call "pedantic" (no offense, I really appreciate all feedback :!: ).

It is a bug, just a very minor one. And no offense taken, since it's true. :)
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
alta88

Post by alta88 »

zeniko, you will be shown Etiquette when you also show it. if you scoff at bugs or 'nits' or even stupid requests, you will not get and will not deserve Etiquette. do you disagree? if you make arbitrary design decisions, they will be questioned. that's the game, chiaro?

zeniko wrote: otherwise you might just drive me away - to the disadvantage of all other users).

not sure how to comment on this. but the same thing would happen as always happens in these cases..

zeniko wrote:I suppose you mean the fact that modifiers work for mouse clicks. That's not the same case. Modifiers are used in other places - you could even argue for them to be standard for Firefox. People have a fair chance of getting used to the fact that Ctrl+clicking is something different than clicking. Now, this surely is also functionality not that readily available to keyboard users - but IMO it's only advanced functionality and that functionality could be achieved mostly through keyconfig shortcuts. If you do have an alternative proposal for how to better implement this in a discoverable way, I'm all for it. Until then, please note that I consider these two cases different.

sorry i don't understand what the keyboard has to do with anything here. i don't see any architectural reason for how Save Window.. (or Delete Session etc) displaying saved windows and expanding the menu for completion of the action differs from the same way Reopen Closed.. works.
Peng

Post by Peng »

Shoot! I was just opening a session, and I forgot the Ctrl thing. Darn.

Edit: Not that this caused any harm or anything, but I didn't get to try it.
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)

Post by ******** »

the following code for "merge windows" is not working, because oldWindow is undefined:

Code: Select all

if ("@zeniko/crashrecoveryservice;1" in Components.classes) {
  var crs = Components.classes["@zeniko/crashrecoveryservice;1"].
     getService(Components.interfaces.nsICrashRecoveryService);
  crs.restoreWindow(window, crs.getWindowState(oldWindow), false);
  oldWindow.close();
}
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

alta88 wrote:zeniko, you will be shown Etiquette when you also show it.
Sorry alta88 while you have the obvious right to express your feelings/opinion, I think you are completely off base. zeniko has been quite accomodating even zen-like (so much so i've posted tongue in cheek comments about it). zeniko has been prolific in releasing enhancements, new features, and bugfixes. He has taken many suggestions and implemented quite a few ( I know this from personal experience).

There are a few things that I too would prefer differently, but if it is the case that it is my preference that perhaps other users don't want/need/prefer i just modify the code on my machine. If you can't to that yourself, perhaps after zeniko decided not include a particular feature or extension behavior you might ask for assistance from others to make your own modification for personal use. Most of what I know I have learned by reading, seeing how others code....
Peng

Post by Peng »

AnonEmoose wrote:There are a few things that I too would prefer differently ...

Just out of curiosity, what are those things?
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

some quickies....

- Restore a session into tabs in current window (instead of a new window) as the default the restore method
- Middleclick tabbar = undoclosetab

Post by ******** »

AnonEmoose wrote:some quickies....

you could use the "undoclosetab" toolbar button that comes with Session Manager.
clicking the button does the "undoclosetab" thing, while right-clicking it brings up a list of closed tabs.
Peng

Post by Peng »

desertfox wrote:... right-clicking it brings up a list of closed tabs.

For me it also brings up the regular Firefox toolbar context menu, which is really annoying, because it gets frozen open until I right-click somewhere else on the toolbars.

FoxClocks and Forecastfox Enhanced both correctly suppress it.
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

desertfox wrote:
AnonEmoose wrote:some quickies....

you could use the "undoclosetab" toolbar button that comes with Session Manager.
clicking the button does the "undoclosetab" thing, while right-clicking it brings up a list of closed tabs.
(got used to undoclosetab by dorando) so yep, i do use SM's button too ... but I'm a middle clicky kinda guy but it's only 2 lines of added code.... ;-)
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

Peng wrote:
desertfox wrote:... right-clicking it brings up a list of closed tabs.

For me it also brings up the regular Firefox toolbar context menu, which is really annoying, because it gets frozen open until I right-click somewhere else on the toolbars.

probably caused by a quick doubleright click
Peng

Post by Peng »

AnonEmoose wrote:probably caused by a quick doubleright click

I am not double-right-clicking. At first, the browser context menu was only appearing after a short time, but I'm sure I was not double-clicking. Then they both appeared, with the SM menu on top, then the SM menu after a short delay... In any case, I'm not double-clicking.
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)