Bookmark Backup and Places (and Classic Sidebars 0.7)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
chob

Post by chob »

Any way Classic Sidebars 0.6.2 can be made to work with All-in-one gestures 0.17.3?
I have a gesture for open history sidebar, and another for open bookmarks sidebar. But with a places build and your extension the gestures do nothing.
Or should I email the author of All-In-One Gestures?
Pike

Post by Pike »

@chob

I don't think there's an easy way because I used different ids to the ones used in the old Firefox sidebars. I'm not sure what the best solution is at the moment.
macobas

Post by macobas »

I stumbled into this extension by accident. Being an Opera user I had been looking for something like this for a long time.

Kudos for the author. I've installed it and it is excellent!
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

Thanks a lot, I avoided recent builds because they lack the bookmarks sidebar.

A few comments:
The sidebar should remember the folder open state.
The Bookmarks Toolbar Folder should be shown as well like it used to be.

Ctrl+Shift+B doesn't work:
"Warning: Key event not available on GTK2: key="b" modifiers="accel,shift"
Source File: chrome://browser/content/browser.xul
Line: 0"
I'd use Ctrl+B like it used to be. The Places window doesn't need a shortcut IMHO.
Pike

Post by Pike »

@macobas

Are you sure you're on the right thread, this extension doesn't add anything new?

@Steffen

Thanks, both of your comments are on my todo list.

About the Ctrl-Shift-B, it looks like there's some limits I didn't know about. I'm really not happy with changing one of Firefox's own keys, so I'm not sure what to do at the moment.
macobas

Post by macobas »

Pike wrote:@macobas

Are you sure you're on the right thread, this extension doesn't add anything new?

I use the trunk build and had lost sidebars a while back. I'm addicted to sidebars so I was really missing them.
Pike

Post by Pike »

Here's Classic Sidebars 0.6.3.

Note: If you're on branch this will only install into the 2006-03-17 nightly (or later). It will install into earlier trunk builds but won't work properly until you upgrade to the 2006-03-17 build (or later).

Fixes:
- maxVersion bumpage.
- Compatibility fixes for latest Places changes.

---

@macobas

OK, the part about Opera threw me a bit, I thought you were commenting on an extension that added an Opera feature and accidentally posted on the wrong thread. :-)
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Pike,
Thanks for the quick update for 2.0a1 - same day service! Much appreciated.

I have a request, which addresses Steffen's question about holding the folder position.

Could you take a look at the Grippies 0.1+ (repackaged) {at TEM} extension and see if you can incorporate those functions into Classic Sidebars?

Grippies 0.1+ (repackaged) works properly (installed with NTT 0.8b2) in 20060317-2.0a1 in conjunction with Classic Sidebars 0.6.3 - the biggest advantage [IMHO] of Grippies is that the Sidebar doesn't really get closed, just 'parked', and the postion of the open bookmark folder structure doesn't change when the Sidebar is retracted. The 'Grip' occupies ~ 5 pixels on the left side of the browser window, a minor intrusion given the advantages provided.

This enhancement would be very helpful for users with a large bookmarks file and extensive folder structure.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Pike

Post by Pike »

@the-edmeister

My goal is to replicate the old sidebars as closely as possible, I want to avoid adding extra features beyond that if I can. Someone else is probably working on a super-places-sidebars extension that will obsolete this one, so hopefully those who need more features will be able to have them at some point.
Ria

Post by Ria »

Hm, I think Classic Sidebars is partially broken at the moment. It displays the history consequently in a ununderstandable order and updates it on the bottom.
The positive message is, that history displays very quickly. Yesterday I had to wait 6 seconds, now only 1 or 2 seconds.
Pike

Post by Pike »

Here's Classic Sidebars 0.6.4.

Note: This requires a 2006-03-23 nightly (or later).

Fixes:
- Compatibility fixes for latest Places changes.

Thanks Ria, the above link contains a fixed version, <del>I'll update the link in the original post once all the nightlies are out and people have had a chance to update</del>. This doesn't work in Bon Echo Alpha 1, I think I'll keep 0.6.3 around for those people.
Last edited by Pike on March 23rd, 2006, 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ria

Post by Ria »

Yep, it is repaired. Thanks! :)
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

Pike, thank you so much for your timely updates on the Classic Sidebars. I am testing the Bon Echo release and would probably not being doing it without my beloved sidebar. Just curious, is there a way to allow the theme to override your default bookmark button? Not a big deal, but I kind of like the different theme bookmark buttons. Thanks again for the work.
Pike

Post by Pike »

I'm not putting 0.6.4 on the updateURL because it will break Bon Echo Alpha 1 people, I need to either add UA sniffing to my update.xml page or support both browser versions in the same XPI, I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to do that (blame Oblivion).

--

@Itsnow

See this post for a not-very-simple solution:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 43#2147843
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

Pike, thanks again for the response. Even though id="restoresidebarsBookmarksButton" isn't actually present, I figured out where to change it. Works perfectly. Thank you.