Your own theme workshop - for beginners

Discuss application theming and theme development.
ehume

Post by ehume »

IlyaG wrote:I tried to follow these instructions, but there were just too many inconsistencies between what was described and what was on my system to be able to do anything. Did the author of this tutorial use Linux instead of Windows? Entire directory structures seem to be different.

As an example, it says that upon entering the Firefox profile folder (C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles) we will find subdirectories with GUIDs as names. Not so on my system (Firefox 1.5 on Windows XP). What I find there is a folder called "default.dnj", and upon entering it, there are numerous other folders (most named after my installed extensions) and a large collection of files (many with .rdf extensions), and the closest to what was described (subdirectories with GUIDs as names) are only in the "extensions" folder, and there is no corresponding folder for themes that I could find.

Also, I've tried downloading two seperate themes marked for version 1.5 and above to tinker with, and neither of them look at all like described (within the jar file). There is no "chrome.manifest", nor is there a "chrome" directory, nor is there yet another .jar file within it (as described). They both, however, contained these directories: browser, communicator, global, help, mozapps, reporter.

What is going on?

Sorry for the lack of clarity. Indeed, the Profiles directory holds your profiles. You have to go inside a profile to find the extensions directory. The extensions directory contains both extensions and themes. There is no directory for themes.

To find a theme with the Firefox 1.5 structure, you have to look for one that is compatible ONLY with Firefox 1.5, and incompatible with Firefox 1.0.x. The themes you are describing (inside their jarfiles) are still using the Firefox 1.0.x structure. Use the directions for Firefox 1.0.x-compatible themes for those.

If you want to get a chrome manifest from an older theme, you have to install it in Firefox 1.5 and harvest the Firefox-created chrome.manifest file. Firefox will also create the chrome directory.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to clear up the inconsistencies in the original posts.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
SimbieYourClown

Post by SimbieYourClown »

Hello, i would like to make it under linux. Tell me where to begin please...I want to make one too
ehume

Post by ehume »

A linux guru will have to tell you where to find your profiles in Linux; but the directory structures ought to be the same, once you have located the profile.
SimbieYourClown

Post by SimbieYourClown »

Hello ehume, I take a look at some of the scriptspoted around and keep wonder where those scripts comefrom ? semantics web ?I 'd like to learn about it suggest me a place please..
The Ex Omega

Post by The Ex Omega »

There should also be a tutorial for using the AMO submission system and how to submit updates to already submitted themes.
TwisterMc

Theme Help

Post by TwisterMc »

I started to create a theme and it has major issues on Windows. I based it off of the default Mac theme and I'm not sure what went wrong. I thought I only changed images so why it's so messed up on a PC is beyond me.

Can anyone help? My theme is called iPox and it looses the main menu on a Windows machine (or so I hear) What CSS file can I find menu items in? What part of the code controls that?

My Theme Page: http://www.twistermc.com/shake/iPox.php
My Theme Thread: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=2005778

Also, while I'm here, is it possible to get a 'Starter File' created so that we can have a file that works great on Mac and PC before we start? That'd be awesome.

Thanks
ehume

Post by ehume »

I would recommend starting with the default theme. Build your install.rdf and chrome.manifest and test it out. When you have that working, then start modding it.
TwisterMc

Post by TwisterMc »

Don't start with the Mac default theme. It doesn't work well with PCs. Course the PC default theme is missing some Mac options so you're kinda screwed either way.
pizzach

Post by pizzach »

TwisterMc wrote:Don't start with the Mac default theme. It doesn't work well with PCs. Course the PC default theme is missing some Mac options so you're kinda screwed either way.

Hehehe. It used to be muuuuuuuuuuuch worse Twister. My theme Abstract PC is also based off of the default Mac theme. Tab extension issues used to bed me the most bug requests.

It's nice that they tried to make the themes match the OS a bit more. But on the other hand, they should have the same back ends...but they don't.
Tofu: the other white meat.
TwisterMc

Post by TwisterMc »

For themers, they should make one. :)
supernovia

xul.mfl

Post by supernovia »

Hey there, just going through these steps, running 1.5.0.1, and I've got some sort of compiled file instead of a list of folders. It'd explain why my css mods haven't been showing up. Is the workbench thing still possible or would I need to find a way to recompile the mfl file?

*feeling like moz developers hate me*

Edited: And now I know WHY they hate me :) Sorry I was looking under local settings / application data rather than just application data. Figured I'd post that here in case anyone else.. needed enlightenment.. :)
donkeyboy

Post by donkeyboy »

Any chance of someone making a programme to do this? Something which means you can just pick and choose the pic you want for each icon and then, bam, you have a theme?

Please?
We will prevail, in peace and freedom from fear, and in true health, through the purity and essence of our natural...fluids.
ehume

Post by ehume »

Yeah, right. A plug-and-play theme. You don't know how long I have wanted such an app.
aaron

Post by aaron »

I've wanted one since Mozilla Suite 0.9 -- don't think it's gonna happen....
ogirtd

Post by ogirtd »

What about this one?