Attachments with long file names being split into 2 fields

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
irvin

Attachments with long file names being split into 2 fields

Post by irvin »

When our users attach files with very long file names, Thunderbird (version 1.5 (20051201)) seems to split the filename into pieces in the MIME header. The receiving side doesn't understand this and the results seem to be somewhat unpredicatble (some received convert to an ATT####.dat file, some take just the first part of the filename (the "filename*0" part)).... etc. It doesn't appear that other MUAs do this filename splitting (or understand this), is there a way to turn off this "feature"?

Example -- here is the MIME header from an attached Word document named:

Bacme English Dealer Locator Software Requirements Specification 2003-01-01 v0.1.1.doc

Content-Type: application/octet-stream;
name*0="Bacme English Dealer Locator Software Requirements Specification";
name*1=" 2003-01-01 v0.1.1.doc"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
filename*0="Bacme English Dealer Locator Software Requirements Specifica";
filename*1="tion 2003-01-01 v0.1.1.doc"

Any help would be great!

Tim
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I don't know of a way to disable that feature.
wintogreen

Post by wintogreen »

Go into about:config and change the value of "mail.strictly_mime.parm_folding" to 0.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/about:config

I've had to do that because even short Japanese filenames get converted into really long ASCII strings when sent by TB as attachments. FYI, here's the bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=309566

Long Attachement file names

Post by Guest »

I had a very similar issue. When sending a file, .xls with over 65 characters in the file name excluding the extension, this file name was truncated on the recieving end as ATT0001.xls. After making the change to "mail.strictly_mime.parm_folding" change, this issue was also fixed.

Thanks.