Shockwave Flash error

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
JRM60

Shockwave Flash error

Post by JRM60 »

Hi all-

I tried a search and got no answers.

New here, used older versions of Firefox for a long time without problems. Ever since I upgraded to Version 1.5.01 of Firefox, I constantly receive this error box whenever I start Firefox.

Illegal Operation In Plug-In

? Shockwave Flash

The plug-in performed an illegal operation. You are strongly advised to restart Firefox.
( ) Don't show this message again during this session.

OK

I have tried unstalling everything in the Mozilla files and reinstalling Firefox with the same thing happening again. I just now uninstalled Macromedia Flash
Player and I still get the same error message when starting Firefox. Firefox seems to work sometimes but inevitably locks up and I have to restart windows most of the time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really want to use Firefox rather than IE!

Also I have saved my old bookmark file (prior to deleting firefox) to another drive and was wondering if all I have to do is to copy that file to the profile
folder in order to bring back my old bookmarks?

Thanks, Jim
Old BushVenom

Re: Shockwave Flash error

Post by Old BushVenom »

JRM60 wrote:Ever since I upgraded to Version 1.5.01 of Firefox, I constantly receive this error box whenever I start Firefox.
Illegal Operation In Plug-In
? Shockwave Flash
The plug-in performed an illegal operation. You are strongly advised to restart Firefox.

As this happens whenever you start Firefox, provide a link (or links) to your start page (or pages).

Also, list all extensions you have installed.
JRM60

Post by JRM60 »

Thanks for the reply -

I have no extensions installed.

Do you mean a link to my home page when I start up Firefox? If so it would be - http://www.dpreview.com/ - Hope this helps, I'm not to up to date on some of these terms.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

JRM60 wrote:Do you mean a link to my home page when I start up Firefox? If so it would be - http://www.dpreview.com/ - Hope this helps, I'm not to up to date on some of these terms.
Yes, that page contains flash content.
What version of flash do you have?

You can check that by typing about:plugins in the url bar and press <enter> and look for:

Code: Select all

Shockwave Flash
File name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll
Shockwave Flash 8.0 r22
JRM60

Post by JRM60 »

I have this version -

File name: NPSWF32.dll
Shockwave Flash 8.0 r22
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Old BushVenom

Post by Old BushVenom »

In addition to dickvl's advice, I'd like you to change your home page to a blank page in order to see if you still get the error (you shouldn't). Go to Tools > Options > General > Home Page > click "Use Blank Page" > OK. Close and reopen Firefox.
JRM60

Post by JRM60 »

I have moved my home page to another site and I don't get the error. Whenever I switch to DPreview the error pops up. I tried the site from dickvl's suggestion and firefox tried to install the plugin for shockwave flash version 10.? - when it was installing it would not finish the installation so I'm not sure that it was installed correctly. Not sure what else to do other than us IE for the DPreview site. Thanks for all your help.
Old BushVenom

Post by Old BushVenom »

From dickvl's link, I'd like you to check whether or not you have the file flashplayer.xpt in Firefox's components folder, usually located at C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\components:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Macromedia_Fl ... dows_users
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

JRM60 wrote:I tried the site from dickvl's suggestion and firefox tried to install the plugin for shockwave flash version 10.?
That looks like this (from about:plugins):
Shockwave for Director
File name: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\np32dsw.dll
Macromedia Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 10.1

Firefox can search for Flash plugin by using a registry key, so it needed be in the program file plugins folder:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@macromedia.com/FlashPlayer8
JRM60

Post by JRM60 »

To dickvl - I do have the file : C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\np32dsw.dll in my program files.

To bushvenom - the file : flashplayer.xpt is not in the components file.
Old BushVenom

Post by Old BushVenom »

I'd suggest uninstalling Macromedia Flash Player by clicking on the Flash Player Uninstaller link under the heading Netscape/Mozilla/Opera/Compuserve for Windows 98/ME/2000/XP:

http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/dow ... lternates/

Once that is done, click the Flash Installer link under the same heading. Sometimes it's necessary to reinstall a plugin after upgrading the browser.
Last edited by Old BushVenom on March 28th, 2006, 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

Had the same problems but had nothing in the plugins folder. Had to delete shockwave from the directory under Mozilla plugins in both the software and the foler above finally works.
JRM60

Post by JRM60 »

I tried the uninstaller and it hangs up saying in the little box - Installing, 93% and just hangs there. It says copying file C:\DOCUME~1\Jim\LOCALS~1\Temp\Killbrowser.exe It won't work to uninstall.
Old BushVenom

Post by Old BushVenom »

Jim,

First, empty your temp folder. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\Jim\Local Settings\Temp and delete the contents of that folder. Don't delete the folder. Press Ctrl+A to highlight all the entries in the folder, then press the Delete key. Answer "yes".

Second, according to the Flash Player support site, uninstalling Flash Player 8 in Windows is done through Add/Remove Programs, which is interesting because I don't show Macromedia Flash Player 8 listed there. See if you have it.

Here's the link to the support site (it's a Flash demo, so it may/may not work for you):

http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowl ... d=90fd2ecc