[Ext] Yahoo Mail Notifier 1.0.7.3 - discussion

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
jaredhong

[Suggest] Clicking Preferences

Post by jaredhong »

First, I love your work!!!

Second, is it possible to add "check now" as an option in clicking preference?
Morac

Re: [Suggest] Clicking Preferences

Post by Morac »

jaredhong wrote:First, I love your work!!!

Second, is it possible to add "check now" as an option in clicking preference?

First, thanks.

Second, I just did. :D
Version 0.9.8 allows you to map the "check now" functionality to one of the clicking preferences.

Unfortunately, even though 0.9.8 was released on addons.mozilla.org, the site doesn't appear to be updating correctly (it's not updating any one's extension pages).
The good news is you can still install it from there using the following URL:

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/extensions/yahoo_mail_notifier/yahoo_mail_notifier-0.9.8-fx+fl+mz+ns.xpi
menet

Re: [Suggest] Clicking Preferences

Post by menet »

Morac wrote:Version 0.9.8 allows you to map the "check now" functionality to one of the clicking preferences.

Unfortunately, even though 0.9.8 was released on addons.mozilla.org, the site doesn't appear to be updating correctly (it's not updating any one's extension pages).
The good news is you can still install it from there using the following URL:

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/extensions/yahoo_mail_notifier/yahoo_mail_notifier-0.9.8-fx+fl+mz+ns.xpi

Very good, I was waiting for it and when i was going in addons, it was not there !

I'm very happy :p :p :p because with the 2 last versions, you have included functions that i had requested and i love YMN much more now :
  • Added: Option to allow user to select to check mail with mouse click. Currently uses the "Check now" text which isn't the best phrase, but will work for now since I don't want to go through the hastle of updating all the localization at the moment. I'll change it later during the next major update.
  • Added: Last check time to tooltip as per suggestion.
  • Updated: If the currently selected tab is blank, then the extension will always load Yahoo Mail in that tab instead of a new tab regardless of which mouse button is pressed.

Can you put in the first entry, the date of creation of the all the Releasess of Yahoo! Mail Notifier like in your site in mozdev ? :?:

Best Regards ;)
Morac

Post by Morac »

I released a beta for testing that fixes the issues with BT Yahoo. Please test this if you use BT Yahoo or any other Yahoo partners.
menet

Beta version 0.9.8+

Post by menet »

I have installed the beta version, just to have it. :p

I have in my config : double click to check mail and Sound and alert for new emails. 8-)

I don't know if i do my double faster but it seems that it works better than with the 0.9.8 standard. \:D/

The double clic does now just a refresh of the counter of unread mails and the alert is shown if no null count.
Before if an unread mail was present, the check mail opens a Yahoo tab (I am not sure). :?

Just for information BT Yahoo : What is BT ? SBC ? :?:

Best regards ;)
Morac

Post by Morac »

BT and SBC are Phone companies that provide DSL. They partnered with Yahoo so that Yahoo provides their email.

BT is British Telecom which is the phone company in the UK.
SBC was Southern Bell, but is now AT&T do the merger from last year.
Verizon also partners with Yahoo.

Because only people who subscribe to the corresponding companies DSL service can sign up for email addresses. I could never test these. Someone with a BT Yahoo account was nice enough to provide me with a test account which is how I got it working with BT Yahoo. I don't know if it will work with SBC, Verizon, etc., but assuming they have the same issue as BT did, it should work with them as well.
Morac

Post by Morac »

Added the ability to play the default system mail notification sound. If no sound file is chosen the system "New Mail Notification" sound will play. Currently "System Default" button is hardcoded to English, this will be fixed when officially released.

It will take about 6 hours to replicate to the server so please wait until at least 12:00 GMT March 17 before downloading or you will get the old test version.
steamil-2@yahoo.ca

Inbox Only Request

Post by steamil-2@yahoo.ca »

I posted this on the mailing list, but this forum seems to get more action.

I was hoping maybe there could be an option to check for new mail in my Inbox only. I don't care about mail that my filters picked up and moved elsewhere.
Morac

Post by Morac »

I responded to you directly, but I'll repeat it here in case others are interested. My extension uses the Companion feed to tell if a Yahoo Mail account has new mail or not. There are a number of advantages to doing it this way, but there are also some disadvantages.

The advantages are:
1. The check is very quick since it only has to download a few bytes each check as opposed to around 40 KB.
2. New mail is found in all mailboxes except the bulk, trash and sent folders.
3. Only new mail that arrives since the user last visited their Yahoo Mail box is treated as new, even if messages are flagged as new in the inbox (or any other folder).
4. Changes Yahoo makes to the mail page have no effect on my extension's ability to check for mail, which means that I don't have to update my extension when Yahoo makes changes or if the user switches to Yahoo mail beta.

The disadvantages are:
1. There is no way to determine what folders new mail is in, which means the extension can't just notify you of mail only in your inbox. Also the subject of the new mail cannot be determined.
2. New mail that arrives while you are viewing the mail page is treated as new even if you delete it. In other words you have to force a refresh of the yahoo mail page to sync up the new mail count. This does not apply to Yahoo Mail Beta users.
3. Unread new mail, is not counted as new.

I think the advantages outweight the disadvantages which is why I used the method I do. Other extensions use other methods so they may be able to do what you ask.
oatka

Mine counts up and rarely resets to zero

Post by oatka »

When I get new mail it adds it to the previous count and only resets to zero until the next check. So if I get a new email at 1pm it shows 1, resets to zero, then goes back to 1 even if the email has been read. then if only 1 additional email comes in at 1:10 it shows 2 (1 for the first, plus 1 for the second, even though the first one has been read). Is this the problem you stated with Yahoo Companion not updating? It worked great for me up until about 2 weeks ago.

HELP, I love this extension but having to remember how many emails I've received is annoying since it won't reset to zero.
Morac

Post by Morac »

It could be a problem with the companion not having the correct count. The mail count should reset when you visit your Yahoo Mailbox. Also what version of Yahoo are you using (regular, SBC, etc) and are you using Yahoo Mail Beta?

What shows up when you go to the following page?
http://update.companion.yahoo.com/slv/v4/not

Also out of curiousity what shows up on this page?
http://api2.my.yahoo.com/2.0/content/widgetcount
Morac

Post by Morac »

0.9.9 released. See first post for changes.
oatka

Post by oatka »

The count does reset when I go to the mailbox, but when the extension checks again (set for every minute) it resets to the total for the day (or whenever it was really reset somehow). I'm using Yahoos regular version. The same one it's been for years, not the newest fancy one that I can't seem to get.

i get this: (i can't get it to add all the up arrows and non standard keyboard characters when i post it.)
Y!Alertsmno2.bmp19268id=mnoYou have 5 new mail
messages.4mno%http://mail.yahoo.comY!poll4800

and this:

<rss version="2.0">

<channel>
<title>Yahoo! Mail</title>
<link>http://mail.yahoo.com</link>
<description>5</description>
</channel>
</rss>

<!--
oc3.my.dcn.yahoo.com compressed/chunked Tue Mar 28 07:30:53 PST 2006
-->

I hope this helps. Thanks for taking a look at it.
Morac

Post by Morac »

How many messages did you have at the time when you posted those? They indicate you have 5 new mail messages.
It's looking like a Companion Feed problem (which you can verify by installing Yahoo's Toolbar). Though I've never heard of an issue where the feed reports more new mail then there actually is. Normally it just doesn't report any new mail.

If you go to your mailbox and then immediately go to the URLs I mentioned above, they should indicate you have no mail (they won't list a number).

If it persists, I'd try contacting Yahoo and tell them the new mail notification isn't working correctly. Don't mention this extension, you can mention either Yahoo Toolbar, Yahoo Messenger or Yahoo Widgets (or all 3). Hopefully they can fix it.
oatka

Post by oatka »

I had 0 unread at the time I posted these. I'll instal Yahoo Messenger or the toolbar and see if it gives me the same problem. Acutally, I forgot to mention that on Yahoo's homepage it also shows the wrong number of unread emails. I did some testing and thought it might be the extension, but hopefully not and Yahoo can fix it. This extension is one of my must haves. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know if I find anything out on how it's fixed.