[Ext] Update Notifier 0.1.5.5 - Get Extension/Theme updates

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
mzfuser
Folder@Home

Post by mzfuser »

ive noticed that firefox consumes all my CPU when Update Notifier auto installs available updates. i have since disabled Update Notifier from installing updates once theyre available. but is it normal for firefox to do that? is there any way to control how much cpu gets used?
XerBlade

Post by XerBlade »

I have that option enabled on one system, and noticed it does that sometimes, but not every time. In fact, it only actually did that twice. Well, on the first of those 2 it crashed Firefox several times so it was actually happening several times, but it was the same update anyway (it was trying to update several themes). On the second it was only for a few seconds until the extension it was updating finished updating normally. However, one thing that is in common about those 2 cases that doesn't apply to all others on that system. The updates were found by Firefox's periodic automatic update check. Every other time it's auto-installed updates with that feature enabled, with no issues, was when I checked for updates manually.
User Agent
Extensions
AMD64/2.41GHz RAM/1.0GB ATI/256MB-GDDR3/128-bit/8xAGP Cable6.0M/384kbps
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

MZFuser wrote:ive noticed that firefox consumes all my CPU when Update Notifier auto installs available updates. i have since disabled Update Notifier from installing updates once theyre available. but is it normal for firefox to do that? is there any way to control how much cpu gets used?

Update installation is a CPU intensive operation. It is normal for all of the CPU to be used while updating. Hope this helps.
--
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060111 Firefox/1.5.0.1 - Build ID: 2006011112
sgrizzo

Log of updates

Post by sgrizzo »

Thank you for this great extension.

I have a suggestion. When an extension has been updated, it seems that there is not a simple way to know <b>which</b> extension has been updated: I would like to know it, for an update could provide some new functionality. So, an idea could be to have a log file with the updates of the last week (month?) or with the last 10 (?) updates (maybe such a log file there exists somewhere but I didn't find it). It would be nice if this log file could be generated as an html file and that you can access it from the "UpdateNotifier" icon (for instance with a command like "show me the last updated extensions"). Moreover this logfile could be automatically opened every time an extension is updated (of course this last possibility should be optional, depending on user's preferences)

Thank you again.
bsiegel

Post by bsiegel »

I've noticed the same CPU utilization issue. It made firefox completely unusuable, and here is what I have deduced so far. There was an extension whose update URL said there was a new version, but the new version hadn't made it to addons.mozilla.org - it was just at the author's web site. Update Notifier was continually grabbing a URL that didn't exist yet and then throwing up an error dialog box. Perhaps some graceful failure needs to happen when Update Notifier tries to grab an update and fails.

--bsiegel
jj44

Post by jj44 »

sgrizzo, if you hover over the icon when there are updates, there is a tooltip that tells you for what.
Fx|3.1b2 -- OS|Win 7 Build 7000
daytonlowell

Question

Post by daytonlowell »

First off i love this extension, it saves me some time everyday. But my question was if the source code was avaliable for this extension, if so i was wondering where i could find it. Thanks
Branstrom

Post by Branstrom »

I'd like the Restart option to be always enabled. Not just when I've updated extensions and a restart is necessary. That way I could get rid of the Restart extension and just use this one.
Old Makondo

Post by Old Makondo »

sgrizzo,
may be you shouldn't use autoupdate (Install updates when they become available option). I don't. Sometimes new updates have bugs or some other issues which are reported and are being worked on but didn't make into this update. Sometimes you may have a problem with an ext. - if you automatically update a few at once, you may not be able to easily tell which update caused it. Personally, i just don't like anything running 'automatically'. Therefor i always know which ext. and when is updated.

Branstrom,
do you have mrtech Local Instal extension? - it has restart buttons in the main window and ext/themes windows. I do understand you'd like to get rid off of an extension not to add one but if you'd check the list of extensions that can be eliminated by installing LocalInstall, you just may want to try it, it's a great extension, a must have. BTW, it works fine with Update Notifier.
sgrizzo

Updates log

Post by sgrizzo »

Thank everybody for tips.

jj44 wrote:sgrizzo, if you hover over the icon when there are updates, there is a tooltip that tells you for what.

I didn't know it: I was using automatic updates. With this option enabled, when updates are available you only see a red icon asking you to restart FF/TB to complete the installation of updated extension: at this point you can open the list of the extensions and look for those waiting the completion of updating process so that you know which extension have been just updated. However, if you are not aware that the icon is red, and you close FF/TB the next time you start it there is no longer way to be informed that some extension has been updated.

So I will do as makondo suggests

makondo wrote:may be you shouldn't use autoupdate (Install updates when they become available option).

Anyway, if this is not too complicated I think that having some "history of the updates" could be useful in some situation, even if I realize that this should be a feature more of the Extension manager than of Update Notifier which is an extension running Extension Manager in background. Maybe some news will come from FF2 <a href="http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox2/Requirements#Extensions">Firefox2/Requirements</a>
DeckMan

Re: Question

Post by DeckMan »

daytonlowell wrote:First off i love this extension, it saves me some time everyday. But my question was if the source code was avaliable for this extension, if so i was wondering where i could find it. Thanks

Like every extension, it's just a .zip-file; you can open it with any zip-program. Inside is a file called "updatenotifier.jar" which is also a zip file, and this file contains the source code.
menet

Post by menet »

Can we change the color of the Update Notifier button in the status bar when the search for new update is made and not yet ended ? 8-)

Yellow for exemple, to show that Update Notifier is working (between Datasource: Update Started and Datasource: Update Ended in the console). :P

I have looked the log of Update Notifier which is working with Console² extension.

There is return messages like below for the (RDFItemUpdater:checkForUpdates sending a request to server for: ) requests :
- Datasource: Addon Update Ended: {extensionA}, status: 8
- Datasource: Addon Update Ended: {extensionB}, status: 32
- RDFItemUpdater:_parseV20UpdateInfo: No updates were found for: {extensionC}
- RDFItemUpdater:onDatasourceLoaded: Datasource empty.

Can we explain these different status (and the others, that i have not seen tonight) and said in what case they are encountered ?

Best regards ;)
jj44

Post by jj44 »

Well, it searches pretty damn quickly!
Fx|3.1b2 -- OS|Win 7 Build 7000
wil_123

Post by wil_123 »

One problem: Whenever there is an invalid update, i.e. update is detected but the downloaded file is invalid (which in fact happened several times for me), Update Notifier would consume all the CPU nad making Firefox 'hang'... Need to kill the task in the end, start safe mode and disable Update Notifier...
menet

Post by menet »

I don't want to update one of my extension 8-)

:arrow: Is there a way to not have Update Notifier looking for update for this extension ? :?:

I think that there is no standard way to have that, without modifying the extension. :twisted:

:arrow: Is it possible to include something in Update Notifier to have this function to disable the search for extensions that we want not update ? :?:

I have no reply to my previous entry :cry:

Best regards :wink: