Having problems with Flash?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Hendikins

Having problems with Flash?

Post by Hendikins »

Thread Notes
Posts to this thread between September 22, 2005 and January 15 2006 have been split to an archive thread.
Posts to this thread up to Feb 22 have been split to a second archive thread

Any posts added to this thread that are not related to the topic at hand and/or are devoid of useful information *will* be removed!

If you are having problems viewing Flash content, particularly if you have just installed Firefox 1.5 or Flash Player 8.0, the following may help:

Use the latest Macromedia Flash Player
Using the latest Macromedia Flash Player can reduce the numbers of problems you have, as well as containing security fixes. The latest versions of Macromedia Flash Player at the time of writing are:
Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/2003: Flash Player 8.0r22
Windows 95/NT 4.0: Flash Player 7.0r61
MacOS X: Flash Player 8.0r22
Linux (x86): Flash Player 7.0r61
Solaris: Flash Player 7.0r60

Adblock's OBJ-TABS do not work with Flash Player 8.0
This is due to Bug 309044. To disable OBJ-TABS, you will need to do the following:
  • Open the Adblock preferences (Tools -> Adblock -> Preferences)
  • Click on "Adblock Options", and untick "Obj-Tabs"
It is suggested that you upgrade to AdBlock Plus.

Adblock does not work correctly with Firefox 1.5
If you have not installed Firefox 1.5 yet, uninstall Adblock before upgrading. Firefox 1.5 users should use AdBlock Plus.

QuickTime 7.0 has registered itself as the Flash content handler
This is a more annoying problem that should never happen. However, if it does, you'll need to do the following:
  • Close Firefox
  • Open the QuickTime Control Panel
  • Select the "Browser" tab, and open "MIME Settings"
  • Make sure Flash File is not selected (it is under Miscellaneous).
If the problem is not fixed after doing this, you'll need to remove pluginreg.dat from your profile folder. If it still isn't fixed after doing that, remove npqt*.dll from your Firefox plugins folder.

Flashblock
If you are using Flashblock, update to Flashblock 1.5.

If you have recently removed Flashblock, you will need to remove all references to it from userContent.css (or remove userContent.css completely). Example:

Code: Select all

object[classid$=":D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"],
object[codebase*="swflash.cab"]
{ -moz-binding: url("chrome://flashblock/content/flash.xml#obj"); }

userContent.css is located in your profile folder.

Mozilla ActiveX Plugin conflicts with other plugins (including Flash)
If the ActiveX Plugin is conflicting with other plugins, it hasn't been configured correctly. Remove it if you don't need it. If you do need it, see the Embedded Windows Media in Firefox 1.0.x Guide for more information.

Unable to find the Flash installer after downloading it
If you can't find the Flash installer after downloading it, you can use the Install link on PluginDoc instead, which will directly install the Flash plugin the same way the Plugin Finder Service does. Note that you will need software installation to be enabled to do this, and may have to add plugindoc.mozdev.org to the list of allowed sites.

Flash Player 8.0 has not been released for Linux
At the moment there is no Linux version of Flash Player 8.0. Adobe has indicated that there will not be a Linux release of Flash Player 8.0, however Flash Player 8.5 will have a Linux release. In the mean time, if you require Flash Player 8.0, you can try CrossOver Office.

Flash Player does not work with 64bit browsers
This is primarily a Linux issue. You can work around this by using a 32bit browser. You may also be able to use the Windows Flash Player with CrossOver Office 5.0 or later. Adobe has indicated that it will be a non-trivial task to port Flash Player to x86_64, so it may be some time before a 64bit version is released.

More Information
For more information about issues with Macromedia Flash, see the Flash Player FAQ on PluginDoc.

Resources
Flash and Shockwave Player Test Page
Last edited by Hendikins on December 15th, 2005, 4:07 am, edited 12 times in total.
Hendikins

Post by Hendikins »

This thread has been un-stuck, as it is no longer a top support issue. Questions relating to <i>developing</i> with Flash should go to the <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=25">Web Development / Standards Evangelism</a> forum.

Re: Having problems with Flash?

Post by Guest »

Hendikins wrote:Thread Notes
Posts to this thread between September 22, 2005 and January 15 2006 have been split to an archive thread.
Posts to this thread up to Feb 22 have been split to a second archive thread

Any posts added to this thread that are not related to the topic at hand and/or are devoid of useful information *will* be removed!

If you are having problems viewing Flash content, particularly if you have just installed Firefox 1.5 or Flash Player 8.0, the following may help:

Use the latest Macromedia Flash Player
Using the latest Macromedia Flash Player can reduce the numbers of problems you have, as well as containing security fixes. The latest versions of Macromedia Flash Player at the time of writing are:
Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/2003: Flash Player 8.0r22
Windows 95/NT 4.0: Flash Player 7.0r61
MacOS X: Flash Player 8.0r22
Linux (x86): Flash Player 7.0r61
Solaris: Flash Player 7.0r60

Adblock's OBJ-TABS do not work with Flash Player 8.0
This is due to Bug 309044. To disable OBJ-TABS, you will need to do the following:
  • Open the Adblock preferences (Tools -> Adblock -> Preferences)
  • Click on "Adblock Options", and untick "Obj-Tabs"
It is suggested that you upgrade to AdBlock Plus.

Adblock does not work correctly with Firefox 1.5
If you have not installed Firefox 1.5 yet, uninstall Adblock before upgrading. Firefox 1.5 users should use AdBlock Plus.

QuickTime 7.0 has registered itself as the Flash content handler
This is a more annoying problem that should never happen. However, if it does, you'll need to do the following:
  • Close Firefox
  • Open the QuickTime Control Panel
  • Select the "Browser" tab, and open "MIME Settings"
  • Make sure Flash File is not selected (it is under Miscellaneous).
If the problem is not fixed after doing this, you'll need to remove pluginreg.dat from your profile folder. If it still isn't fixed after doing that, remove npqt*.dll from your Firefox plugins folder.

Flashblock
If you are using Flashblock, update to Flashblock 1.5.

If you have recently removed Flashblock, you will need to remove all references to it from userContent.css (or remove userContent.css completely). Example:

Code: Select all

object[classid$=":D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"],
object[codebase*="swflash.cab"]
{ -moz-binding: url("chrome://flashblock/content/flash.xml#obj"); }

userContent.css is located in your profile folder.

Mozilla ActiveX Plugin conflicts with other plugins (including Flash)
If the ActiveX Plugin is conflicting with other plugins, it hasn't been configured correctly. Remove it if you don't need it. If you do need it, see the Embedded Windows Media in Firefox 1.0.x Guide for more information.

Unable to find the Flash installer after downloading it
If you can't find the Flash installer after downloading it, you can use the Install link on PluginDoc instead, which will directly install the Flash plugin the same way the Plugin Finder Service does. Note that you will need software installation to be enabled to do this, and may have to add plugindoc.mozdev.org to the list of allowed sites.

Flash Player 8.0 has not been released for Linux
At the moment there is no Linux version of Flash Player 8.0. Adobe has indicated that there will not be a Linux release of Flash Player 8.0, however Flash Player 8.5 will have a Linux release. In the mean time, if you require Flash Player 8.0, you can try CrossOver Office.

Flash Player does not work with 64bit browsers
This is primarily a Linux issue. You can work around this by using a 32bit browser. You may also be able to use the Windows Flash Player with CrossOver Office 5.0 or later. Adobe has indicated that it will be a non-trivial task to port Flash Player to x86_64, so it may be some time before a 64bit version is released.

More Information
For more information about issues with Macromedia Flash, see the Flash Player FAQ on PluginDoc.

Resources
Flash and Shockwave Player Test Page
better

Post by better »

The one big question that isn't answered here:

<B>How do I get Firefox NOT to use Flash and NOT to bug me about it?</B>
Of course there are a variety of extensions, but if you don't want to use an extension, here's what worked for me in various Windows versions:

If you currently have Flash installed:

- Run the Flash uninstaller from http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowl ... d=tn_14157
- Alternately, track down and delete/rename the copy of NPSWF32.dll that Firefox is using, usually found in the plugins subdirectory.

Once you're free of Flash:

- In about:config, set "plugin.default_plugin_disabled" to false. This means that instead of using the yellow bar at the top of the screen to indicate a missing plugin, firefox will run the "default plugin". In Windows, this is npnul32.dll.
- Delete/rename npnul32.dll, because all it does is prompt you AGAIN (using its own dialog, not the yellow bar) to install the missing plugin.

Presto, no flash, and no constant harassment to install it or any other plugin.
better

Post by better »

I should add that this page http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/uninstall.html makes mention of changing the plugin scanning settings to prevent the browser from using Flash, but the instructions it links to don't mention flash at all, just Java, Acrobat Reader, Quicktime, and Windows Media Player.

Following the examples there, though, logic holds that creating a preference string named plugin.scan.MacromediaFlash with a value higher than any available version might prevent Firefox from using Flash. Doesn't work, so I also tried it with plugin.scan.Flash, plugin.scan.FlashPlayer, plugin.scan.MacromediaFlashPlayer, plugin.scan.ShockwaveFlash, plugin.scan.ShockwaveFlashPlayer, and still no dice, Flash still loads every time. So that's why I suggest the slightly obscene workaround in the previous post.
Happy Dave

Post by Happy Dave »

The Amazing Media Browser extension also has a default option that kills all embedded content, including Flash. Bit of a nightmare when you're trying to fire up pandora.com or Flickr slideshows, but it's fixed now!

Post by Guest »

I've followed all the advice above and still have a problem with shockwave flash. I am quite lost. - The funny thing is: When you don't close the second error warning message window (the one that strongly advises you to close and restart firefox) but leave it open, flash works fine afterwards. - Any other hints with regard to that?

Post by Guest »

Hendikins wrote:Thread Notes
Adobe has indicated that it will be a non-trivial task to port Flash Player to x86_64, so it may be some time before a 64bit version is released.

Dear Hendikins, could you please tell me when firefox will be release as linux x86_64 and 64bit windows on the mozilla web site?

This may/would be helpful in process of getting sun java and adobe macro meadia flash players/plugins for 64bit windows and 64bit linux platforms.
k3vin187

Post by k3vin187 »

if flash won't work and uninstalling and reinstalling won't work check ur plugins... 99% of the time that works for curing the problem

Post by Guest »

can somebodey tell me please how i can make a flash movie transparent in Mozila?
i have a banner that is supposed to be transparent . it works fine in explorer. but the html tags that work in explorer dont work in Mozila
<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
GuestLV

Post by GuestLV »

i have problems too in mozilla with MAcromedia Flash. My home pages read all information from txt files and there is the main point of problem. In Internet Explorer all works fine, but in Mozilla this information don't show, like clear boxes in text place... Why? I need upgrade some code elements or what?
Mozcerize

Post by Mozcerize »

If you find yourself unable to play Flash files (.swf files and similar) directly within Firefox or Mozilla (such as by opening a local Flash file in the browser or by clicking a direct link to a Flash file) then you may be experiencing a known bug; see the Knowledge Base article.
riber52

gif files will not run

Post by riber52 »

When I open an email, the gif files appear as big boxes with little red diamonds in the upper left hand corner. I have downloaded the most current Flashplayer and Shockwave. My second computer handles these emails perfectly.

Help!!!

Rick

Post by Guest »

Please, Read this:

http://www.snook.ca/archives/other/hit_bug_in_fire/

I'm having the same problem.
schapel

Post by schapel »

Anonymous wrote:I'm having the same problem.

You should discuss the problem in the Firefox Bugs forum or submit a bug report in Bugzilla.