Session Manager 0.1 to 0.3.9+

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

<a href="data:text/javascript,eval(%22gSessionManager.initUndo%20%3D%20%22%20%2B%20gSessionManager.initUndo.toString().replace(%22event.shiftKey%20%26%26%20event.ctrlKey%22%2C%20%22true%22))%3B%0A">Not at all.</a>
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

Awesome.
Thanks zeniko.

I think I was posting the same time you were.
I had another question in my previous post..
dougeeebear wrote:And another question on the TMP style menu script..

Using the selection "Append To Current Session" opens it in a background tab.
Is it possible to force it to open in a foreground tab instead?

I really appreciate the help you have given me :)
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

That's actually a bug in Session Manager. Get the current <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager-dev.xpi">testing version</a> (0.3.8.0+) for a fix.

To everybody: To provide you with a saner update path, I won't officially release any minor bug fixes, but collect them and offer them as major updates from time to time. If you still want the minor stuff at once, you'll have to manually update to the current testing version (which might be slightly unstable should I ever add major features). Both download links are available from the first post.
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

Thanks, zeniko.

EDIT:
The fix does work for "Append to Current Session", but the appended tab shows plain white for about a second before the actual tab content displays.
This is a report fyi (not a complaint) :)
Will Pittenger

Post by Will Pittenger »

zeniko wrote:
Will Pittenger wrote:Is Session Manager compatible with Tab Mix+? That extension's ability to restore sessions is buggy squared.

onemen just recently told me that he'll try to improve TMP's session handling capacity by leveraging some of Crash Recovery/Session Manager's code. Until that point, Session Manager contains some minor hacks to make it work with Tab Mix Plus (last tested with TMP 0.3.0.3).

As Firefox loads with TMP doing the restore, FF has "Session Manager loading" in the title bar. Coincidence? If so, I see no reason to switch. I have TMP 0.3.0.603 and FF 1.5.0.1 now. When I tried Session Saver with the older TMP, I got crashes whenever (at least 80% of the time) I opened the extension window in a tab or reopened a closed tab. Mel Reyes told me to remove Session Saver and upgrade TabMix to a development version. Those reduced the number of crashes, but I lost the ability to restore my tab sessions. FF does still crash in the same situations, but rarely. Most crashes happen when I reopen a closed tab -- and only after the session is older. That suggests FF is getting unstable.

Because some crashes still happen, I am concerned about making it worse with no apparent benefit.
Will Pittenger
Peng

Post by Peng »

Will Pittenger wrote:As Firefox loads with TMP doing the restore, FF has "Session Manager loading" in the title bar. Coincidence?

Yes. zeniko and the TMP developers just happened to pick the same name.
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
Check out: Adblock Plus | FoxClocks | OpenBook
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

dougeeebear wrote:the appended tab shows plain white for about a second before the actual tab content displays.

That generally happens while restoring. Haven't found where the hanging occurs yet, but I'm looking into it.

Peng wrote:
Will Pittenger wrote:As Firefox loads with TMP doing the restore, FF has "Session Manager loading" in the title bar. Coincidence?

Yes. zeniko and the TMP developers just happened to pick the same name.

An unfortunate coincidence I didn't get aware of before I got reports about a namespace clash. Although they picked the name first, I simply didn't know (never having used TMP myself). OTOH, their crash recovering feature is also named "Crash Recovery" where my extension existed almost a year earlier, so the ignorance seems to be mutual. ;)

Will Pittenger wrote:Because some crashes still happen, I am concerned about making it worse with no apparent benefit.

I don't know of any Session Manager related crashes. Supposing that you're not using a Firefox nightly build (for which crashes might happen here and there), I suggest you revert to a regular TMP version and just completely disable it's session managing and crash recovering features. If the crashes persist, you might want to try a clean profile (possibly with less extensions, supposing that a conflict is the most probable cause of the crashes).

As for onemen improving on TMP's session managing capabilities, that most probably won't happen before TMP 0.3.1 or even a later version (don't know the roadmap they've chosen)...
Peng

Post by Peng »

zeniko wrote:An unfortunate coincidence I didn't get aware of before I got reports about a namespace clash. Although they picked the name first, I simply didn't know (never having used TMP myself). OTOH, their crash recovering feature is also named "Crash Recovery" where my extension existed almost a year earlier, so the ignorance seems to be mutual. ;)

Well, you didn't exactly pick incredibly creative names for the two extensions. :P
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

dougeeebear wrote:the appended tab shows plain white for about a second before the actual tab content displays.

Today's <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager-dev.xpi">testing version</a> (0.3.8.1+) should improve this by not loading all tabs at the same time, but one by one.

Peng wrote:Well, you didn't exactly pick incredibly creative names for the two extensions. :P

True. But considering that I'm a software developer and not a Think tank, I at least got them to be descriptive. ;) I never got to anything more creative than Console² or Fission - but I'd be willing to reconsider Session Manager's name for version 0.4, if you manage to come up with a good alternative...
Peng

Post by Peng »

zeniko wrote:True. But considering that I'm a software developer and not a Think tank, I at least got them to be descriptive. ;) I never got to anything more creative than Console² or Fission - but I'd be willing to reconsider Session Manager's name for version 0.4, if you manage to come up with a good alternative...

Oh, I don't have a problem with the names, I was just pointing out that someone else thinking of the same names isn't particularly unlikely, since they're just descriptions of what they do. I like at least reasonably descriptive names. (Hmm, I'd like to put it better than that.) Like ChatZilla or ColorZilla. They don't tell you exactly what they do, but they at least give you an idea.
Hug Peng
(aka Matt Nordhoff)
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

zeniko,
Do you suppose it would be possible to create a userChrome.js code similar to (or revise) "strips all tab history from saved sessions" for removing tab history from backup.session on normal shutdown (but keep tab history on crashes)?
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

All you have to do is adding <a href="data:text/javascript,eval(%22gSessionManager.backupCurrentSession%20%3D%20%22%20%2B%20gSessionManager.backupCurrentSession.toString().replace(%2Fthis%5C.getSessionState%5C(%5B%5E)%5D%2B%5C)%2F%2C%20%22this.removeTabHistory(%24%26)%22))%3B%0A">this line</a> to the code snippet I gave you above.
Last edited by old zeniko on April 4th, 2006, 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
dougeeebear

Post by dougeeebear »

Thanks zeniko, that's perfect (except for the hex symbols, but I figured it out).
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

dougeeebear wrote:(except for the hex symbols, but I figured it out).

Sorry for the typo - that wasn't meant as a puzzle.

And then there's another opportunity for updating: <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager-dev.xpi">testing version 0.3.8.2+</a> should lessen the risk of accidental double-posts when restarting with forum pages open.

Post by ******** »

a slight issue with this:
zeniko wrote:* Bug fix: Session tabs appended to the current window didn't get the focus

when merging windows (in superT), i don't want the appended tabs to get the focus.