12/21 Excellent!

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Matt34

12/21 Excellent!

Post by Matt34 »

I upgraded from the 0.5 milestone to 12/21, mostly because of the memory-leak bug fix, and want to encourage other 0.5 holdouts to do the same (or get an even more recent nightly!)' it seems much faster on my somewhat-old machine probably thanks to the memory leak fixes, especially after browsing for a few hours. I have been using it for two days now without any obvious bugs leaping to the fore (although it's sometimes hard to distinguish a Phoenix bug from general Windows instability).
RAF

Post by RAF »

You don't have the 'Phoenix forgets my passwords'-problem?
Matt34

Post by Matt34 »

Works for me, although I only really use the password-storing feature on two sites: AccuWeather and a normal webmail site that uses a standard username/password form. Do you have any specific sites you want me to test (obviously, I have to be able to create a free account there!)?
RAF

Post by RAF »

Are you sure you created a new profile and all?
As far as I know sometime after the 0.5 milestone the password manager broke (on every nightly since then)..
Matt34

Post by Matt34 »

That would explain it. I last created a new profile for 0.5. When I updated Phoenix to 12/21, I was brave and kept the old profile; a good decision apparently. I have not stored any additional passwords since then.
herman

Re: 12/21 Excellent! but has a crasher bug!

Post by herman »

Matt34 wrote:I upgraded from the 0.5 milestone to 12/21, mostly because of the memory-leak bug fix, and want to encourage other 0.5 holdouts to do the same (or get an even more recent nightly!)' it seems much faster on my somewhat-old machine probably thanks to the memory leak fixes, especially after browsing for a few hours. I have been using it for two days now without any obvious bugs leaping to the fore (although it's sometimes hard to distinguish a Phoenix bug from general Windows instability).

I don´t like to put some water into the wine, but Phoenix as Mozilla have a crasher bug regarding CSS: on some websites, hovering over a link crashes the browser.
That happens with versions of phoenix and mozilla newer than Dec 16th, and I hope it will be fixed soon, since a patch exists, but isn´t not yet checked in.

http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3259

Try hovering over one of the links at http://albinoblacksheep.com

herman
wget

Post by wget »

RAF wrote:As far as I know sometime after the 0.5 milestone the password manager broke (on every nightly since then)..

My password manager is broken in 0.5.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

wget wrote:
RAF wrote:As far as I know sometime after the 0.5 milestone the password manager broke (on every nightly since then)..

My password manager is broken in 0.5.

I didn't have a problem until the 12/14 build, when it stopped remembering cookies. I hate having to use a browser that's more than a week old :evil:. Alas, tis the holiday season and some people have lives.
wget

Post by wget »

alanjstr wrote:I didn't have a problem until the 12/14 build, when it stopped remembering cookies.

Ugh. More regressions? These are all mishaps in the Mozilla tree, right?
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

wget wrote:
alanjstr wrote:I didn't have a problem until the 12/14 build, when it stopped remembering cookies.

Ugh. More regressions? These are all mishaps in the Mozilla tree, right?

Hmmm... Perhaps that explains why these MozillaZine Forums are no longer honoring the automatic login request.
johnh123

Post by johnh123 »

I guess there are some advantages to not making a new profile with each new install...
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

johnh123 wrote:I guess there are some advantages to not making a new profile with each new install...

Even with my old profile, it stopped remembering that I put in my password for Yahoo.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
ehume

Post by ehume »

I am not having the password problem. OTOH, although I create a new profile with every new nightly, I keep my cookies and bookmarks files. Lucky me.
Richard

Post by Richard »

herman wrote:a crasher bug regarding CSS: on some websites, hovering over a link crashes the browser. That happens with versions of phoenix and mozilla newer than Dec 16th, and I hope it will be fixed soon, since a patch exists, but isn´t not yet checked in.
herman

To my sorrow, I tried it, px0.5-22dec, linux, and Px promptly died. Don't much much about fancy coding but the page seems to be real patchwork of overlying links and tags, as far as phoenix is concerned. The page renders with no problems in my somewhat dated Konqueror 2.2.1 (Kde2.2.1).
Richard.
Tutor

Post by Tutor »

herman wrote:I don´t like to put some water into the wine, but Phoenix as Mozilla have a crasher bug regarding CSS: on some websites, hovering over a link crashes the browser.
That happens with versions of phoenix and mozilla newer than Dec 16th, and I hope it will be fixed soon, since a patch exists, but isn´t not yet checked in.

I give the built 12/28 both thumbs up, the problem you describe doesn't exist and the password manager works too. I had just one crasher that is already mentioned in the forum. Phoenix is now my number one browser, I really like it.

Great work!