Cannot install any extensions

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
tamlyn

Cannot install any extensions

Post by tamlyn »

I have a bunch of extensions installed but now I can't seem to install any new ones. xpinstall.enabled is set to true and it doesn't seem to be caused by any of the other problems listed in the knowledgebase.

Here's what happens: I click on "install extension" on addons.mozilla.org, the "software installation" dialog pops up with the count down thingie, i wait, i click on "install", the dialog closes, nothing happens. Downloading the xpi locally doesn't help either.

Any ideas? I'd rather not have to rebuild my profile from scratch.
trolly

Post by trolly »

Try to install in safe mode. Some extensions prevents the installation of new extensions.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
tamlyn

Post by tamlyn »

Aha! That did the trick. So now i guess it's a case of disabling each extension individually until i find the culprit?
mattd7591

Post by mattd7591 »

^^ yup- but at least its not uninstall, ok found it, reinstall 100 extensions except two, culprit and last one, oh god damnit, where is it. note to self: note location on web/ make backup for newxt time
--Matt----MSD--
tamlyn

Post by tamlyn »

:) seems it was the all-in-one-sidebar. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and all is fine and dandy now. Yay! Thanks. Maybe the safemode tip should be added to the kb page http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_ins ... Firefox%29
trolly

Post by trolly »

Yes, all-in-one sidebar is known for that. I should have noted it.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.

Post by Guest »

using a mac and can not install any extensions, i have the pref set where it should be able to? anyone got any ideas
trolly

Post by trolly »

Check the link tamlyn posted on above my last.