Session Manager 0.1 to 0.3.9+

Talk about add-ons and extension development.

Post by ******** »

Will Pittenger wrote:In the Tools/Session Manager menu, under "Save Current Window", I see a list of sessions. Those just clutter up the menu.

If you take them out, how are you supposed to restore them when you really need to?
Like if Firefox crashes twice in a row.
Will Pittenger

Post by Will Pittenger »

Can they at least be moved to a child menu? Or have put the choice in a dialog? How often do you use them?
Will Pittenger

Post by ******** »

Well, for example, when i'm doing research projects, like the one i'm working on right now, I have 20+ tabs open for information, and then to take a break, I save it as a session, close all tabs, and go to sites for fun, like this one. And then, to go back to researching, I restore my "research sites" session. so it's pretty convenient.
Will Pittenger

Post by Will Pittenger »

For me, never -- barring a crash during startup. Hasn't happened yet. ;)
Will Pittenger
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

alta88 wrote:i have this unchecked normally, but sometimes will check it to load-replace a window. it's not a huge deal, but would require going into prefs to change instead of simple menu tick. and it would seem to also require the TMP hack to be elevated to 'factory install', no?

OTOH it already was quirky to have to open the menu three times if you wanted to load replace a session just once. With the newest version you can now press [Shift]+[Ctrl] while clicking on the session to be restored and it will replace the current session independantly of the pref's setting. Of course, the TMP-style hack should (and will) allow you to do this without any keyboard interaction.

alta88 wrote:last Q - it's not possible to change in javascript a 'menuitem' declaration to 'menu' is it? can this only be overwritten via overlay? ;)

That's not possible in an overlay, either. The way to do this would be to create the new <menu>, insert it right before the <menuitem> and remove the <menuitem> afterwards - which can be done from JS.

desertfox wrote:i'm not sure what ctrl+clicking and shift+clicking do when it's unchecked though.

In the current testing version, you can now Ctrl+click (append tabs), Shift+click (append windows) or Shift+Ctrl+click (replace tabs/windows) on all sessions and closed windows. Using any of these modifiers overrules the preference's setting (i.e. the pref only applies for unmodified clicks).

Toolz wrote:ImgLikeOpera states are not restored for each tab.

ImgLikeOpera supports Session Manager since version 0.6.10 (released 2006-03-27). Please update and verify that it works indeed.

Will Pittenger wrote:
zeniko wrote:you don't want the Recover dialog to be shown after a crash at all but just to resume the previous browsing session at the moment of the crash?

Correct.

The current <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager-dev.xpi">testing version</a> (0.3.9.3+) now gives you that option in form of a checkbox to never show that dialog again.

Will Pittenger wrote:In the Tools/Session Manager menu, under "Save Current Window", I see a list of sessions. Those just clutter up the menu.

Since the session list is an integral part of Session Manager, that's where I expect it to be. If you want to get rid of the session list altogether, just add <a href="data:text/css,%23sessionmanager-menu%20menuitem%5Bonclick%5D%2C%0A%23sessionmanager-menu%20menuitem%5B_id%3D%22separator%22%5D%2C%0A%23sessionmanager-toolbar%20menuitem%5Bonclick%5D%2C%0A%23sessionmanager-toolbar%20menuitem%5B_id%3D%22separator%22%5D%20%7B%0A%09display%3A%20none%20!important%3B%0A%7D%0A">these lines</a> to your userChrome.css. Of course you might want to try Crash Recovery instead, if all you need is resuming the current session and keeping one backup-copy around.
alta88

Post by alta88 »

zeniko wrote:
alta88 wrote:i have this unchecked normally, but sometimes will check it to load-replace a window. it's not a huge deal, but would require going into prefs to change instead of simple menu tick. and it would seem to also require the TMP hack to be elevated to 'factory install', no?

OTOH it already was quirky to have to open the menu three times if you wanted to load replace a session just once. With the newest version you can now press [Shift]+[Ctrl] while clicking on the session to be restored and it will replace the current session independantly of the pref's setting. Of course, the TMP-style hack should (and will) allow you to do this without any keyboard interaction.

oh yes, no question it was quirky (esp since it can easily be designed for one click..). but what i'm saying is that now even the privilege of 3 click functionality, sans keyboard, is removed *unless* one finds and installs the TMP hack.

zeniko wrote:
alta88 wrote:last Q - it's not possible to change in javascript a 'menuitem' declaration to 'menu' is it? can this only be overwritten via overlay? ;)

That's not possible in an overlay, either. The way to do this would be to create the new <menu>, insert it right before the <menuitem> and remove the <menuitem> afterwards - which can be done from JS.

hmm, i know deep down it's just a flipped bit that would change the properties of menuitem to menu, guess it's the way the platform is. thanks for the advice.
Toolz

ImgLikeOpera

Post by Toolz »

ImgLikeOpera supports Session Manager since version 0.6.10 (released 2006-03-27). Please update and verify that it works indeed.

Yes I went to the ImgLikeOpera site after posting and was surprised to see that - I've been using 0.6.12 for a few days now. Anyway I'm pleased to report tabs are now being restored with the previous states. This is after at least ten restarts and a crash so it's hard to say what fixed it - except I did disable SessionSaver.

To the best of my recollection, saved sessions were being brought back with the correct states but restores (ie restoring last sesssion on startup) were coming back with every tab except the first tab and selected tab on 'load all images' setting.

The imprtant thing is that all is well anyway. Not much wrong with SessionSaver but I'm just a lot more comfortable with Session Manager. Thanks.
lolo92

Post by lolo92 »

zeniko wrote:Unless you've checked "Reload All Restored Windows", Session Manager shouldn't reload anything as long as it's in the browser cache. There was however an issue with reloading posted forms which should be fixed in the current <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager-dev.xpi">testing version</a> (which will soon become version 0.3.9).

UPDATE: Now that 0.3.9 is out, just make sure you install the <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager.xpi">update</a>.

Yes SM reload all windows and the "reload all restored..." is not checked.
Open any php website and it would be reloaded, and I'd like it to be just reopened the way it was before the crash (ie a html version...)

PS 0.3.9 doesn't change anything...
mattcoz

Post by mattcoz »

This has probably been mentioned before, but when the browser crashes and the popup comes up asking what session to restore, if I press cancel it loads the crashed session anyway. This is kindof a pain when it crashes while closing the browser, because I wanted to discard the session.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

alta88 wrote:oh yes, no question it was quirky (esp since it can easily be designed for one click..). but what i'm saying is that now even the privilege of 3 click functionality, sans keyboard, is removed *unless* one finds and installs the TMP hack.

The question is: How many users do you think have used this "privilege"? And how many users are aware of that option and occasionally switch it? How many of those could not be bothered to remember a keyboard modifier they might be using in a different context already anyway?

alta88 wrote:hmm, i know deep down it's just a flipped bit that would change the properties of menuitem to menu, guess it's the way the platform is.

It's actually not that deep down. What makes a <menu> a <menu> is a CSS rule which applies to it a certain XBL binding. You could always directly override that CSS binding (even from userChrome.css). But you might miss other CSS rules applied to <menu> by the default stylesheets, so creating a new <menu> instead of making a <menuitem> behave (but maybe not look like) a <menu> is just the more stable solution.

lolo92 wrote:SM reload all windows and the "reload all restored..." is not checked.
Open any php website and it would be reloaded, and I'd like it to be just reopened the way it was before the crash (ie a html version...)

The problem you observe is that Firefox has the tendency to discard parts or even the whole of its cache after a crash. Session Manager tries to prevent this, but might not always succeed. Now, either it keeps a second cache (which would mean quite some overhead - and ignore the fact that I've got no idea how to implement such a feature) or it simply gets along with what it's got. For obvious reasons I chose the latter. I'm afraid that there's not much I can currently do to remedy this...

mattcoz wrote:when the browser crashes and the popup comes up asking what session to restore, if I press cancel it loads the crashed session anyway.

Thanks for the report - seems that I don't keep my Firefox crashing enough. This issue is fixed in <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager-dev.xpi">today's testing version</a> (0.3.9.4+) which will become version 0.4 in a week or two.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

zeniko wrote:Thanks for the report - seems that I don't keep my Firefox crashing enough. This issue is fixed in <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager-dev.xpi">today's testing version</a> (0.3.9.4+) which will become version 0.4 in a week or two.

I know it's tough to support but can you bump the maxversion support 3.0, current trunk has been updated to this, thanks.
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

mrtech wrote:I know it's tough to support but can you bump the maxversion support 3.0, current trunk has been updated to this, thanks.

<a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager-dev.xpi">There you go</a> (0.3.9.5+). Note that I won't be able to guarantee full Trunk compatibility (I'm still using the 20060307 branch nightly).
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

zeniko wrote:
mrtech wrote:I know it's tough to support but can you bump the maxversion support 3.0, current trunk has been updated to this, thanks.

<a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/sessionmanager-dev.xpi">There you go</a> (0.3.9.5+). Note that I won't be able to guarantee full Trunk compatibility (I'm still using the 20060307 branch nightly).

sweet thanks, I'll pm you if I find any crazy bugs that may come up ;)
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar

Post by ******** »

zeniko wrote:In the current testing version, you can now Ctrl+click (append tabs), Shift+click (append windows) or Shift+Ctrl+click (replace tabs/windows) on all sessions and closed windows. Using any of these modifiers overrules the preference's setting (i.e. the pref only applies for unmodified clicks).

sweet! 0.3.9.5+ is working great!
JDPower

Post by JDPower »

Session manager has stopped working in the way that I normally use it. This has only happened recently so may be caused by a recent update. Problem is this: I have the options set to ask whether to save the session when closing and to reload the previous browsing session at startup. But it no longer resumes the previous browsing session (I just get my homepage), in fact it doesn't even seem to save the previous session as if I click the session manager tab and select the previous session I just get my homepage. The only combination of startup/shutdown options that works is backup session at shutdown and prompt for a session at startup, ANY other combination and it won't work.

I haven't changed anything in the options and have tried uninstalling the couple of extensions installed since installing session manager but neither correct it. Have also tried reinstalling but that made no difference.

Any idea what might be causing this?
(FF 1.5.0.1, Session Manager 0.3.9)